Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mud (2013)

Let the night air cool you off
Cosmic Journey

The science-fiction genre owes quite a bit to this forgotten film. It's the film that started the practice of having scientists on set as consultants. It's one of the first films, if not the first, to attempt a realistic trip to the moon. We might find parts of it silly today, but you have to remember, this is before we faked the moon landing. (That was a joke, I think we did actually go to the moon. Don't label me a nut.) The weightlessness in space is probably the first time to be showed on film. It's an interesting film for some technical aspects and the other stuff I mentioned, but it's lacking in most other categories. I think it's a film you should watch if you care about film history, but I don't think it's really anything special as far as quality goes. It's not bad, but rather run-of-the-mill. It's only an hour though, so with the sci-fi list going on, you might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Fritz Lang's Woman in the Moon came out in 1929, it was before Cosmic Journey. Both films are highly influential to the genre. I was probably also kind of harsh on Cosmic Journey. It's a technically great film, and that carries what it may lack in character development or writing. The art decoration of the moon is really cool. I really enjoyed it, and I think it's going to grow on me even more. I think I'll watch it again at some point.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, it's an outstanding film, but you have to watch Lang's Woman in the Moon to find out who was first.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Greasy Strangler (2016)

I heard this was disgusting, and for me it was thanks to the seemingly non-stop penis shots. It's fairly crude even without that, and funny enough to be worth watching if you want a few laughs.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
reps for the reservoir dog reference

Leave Her To Heaven (1945)
Ahhh, Gene Tierney!!
Thanks CR for recommending this!
WARNING: "Oh, one thing" spoilers below
Her sister, Ruth's lawyer SUCKED

Welcome to the human race...
A Bigger Splash -

Starting to wonder if I may have overrated Youth.

The Red Shoes -

Not got too much to say about this. Gorgeous film particularly some of the dance sequences, good performances too, sadly i just couldn't get into the characters or story there were pretty lengthy stretches were i was uninterested. I do think this is a very good film though just not for me, think there's a good chance i'll really like some of Powell & Pressburgers other films that are more my type.

Eastern Promises (2007) - David Cronenberg

- One of the few gangster/mafia movie I really appreciate. Cronenberg is a director I like and his direction is always top-notch. The cast is great especially Viggo Mortensen (best performance of his career imo). the storyline is great even if it was a little predictable. I was entertain all the way. I'm glad I watch this one tonight it didn't disappointed. Viggo is still the highlight of the movie for me though.
+

Captain Fantastic(2016)

Emotional but also kind of funny movie with great acting from Mortensen, as well as some pretty good child-actors. It's not a black and white movie, you really get attached to Viggo Mortensen's character, but you can also understand why the other characters would have the stance that they have. A great ride in which you get a realistic sense of this kind of family, you see it's shortcomings as well as it's positives.

Overall, a great movie which I give an 8 out of 10!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Snowman (1982)

Pretty cool. Were those snowmen boozing it up?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Snowman.png
Views:	607
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	28191  

Master of My Domain
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

La La Land made me want to visit the classic that was the main inspiration for its birth.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg has a solid reputation of being a movie of colors - but personally I like the movie because it is a prime example of "it's not what the movie is about, but how it is about." The story itself has been used in works of literature and theatre since god knows when. However, like all great directors do, Demy used this very basic story as merely a drawing board for his ultimate vision, instead of falling into the triteness of unoriginality.

Every emotion felt genuine, even the soap-operaish types of monologues. I think it's a combination of how Demy uses his actors - he makes them move and get the most out of body language, and the changing wallpapers, seasons, and music that if had been consistent throughout the film, would not have made much of an impact.

One main criticism is that every line being sung creates an irritating experience. For me it was fine most of the time, because the dialogue was phrased so that it would match the music and sound like lyrics. Some moments were slightly awkward, but they were small compared to the other great moments.

Not one of my favorites, but certainly a classic that should be watched at least once.

+

Sausage Party (2016)

89 minutes long barrage of sex jokes, racist stereotypes and the most gross sense of humor ever. Reminds me of a modern version of Fritz the Cat but much more "violent". I liked that they did in hand drawn animation when we had a flashback of the past history of the grocery store. Sorry Iro, this is not the worst movie of the year.

The Wind Rises (2013)

While I surprised the amount of fiction in jiro horikoshi personal life, it's still very good and enjoyable craftmanship by miyazaki and co.