Movie Influence on Society

Tools    

I Enjoy Working With People
The documentary The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris) freed a man from prison and a murder conviction.

What fascinates me the most about the influence of movies is that movie fans and the general public adopt the dress and behavior of movie characters who reject those behaviors in the movie. Example: the rise of disco dancing after Saturday Night Fever came out. The main character ended up rejecting the disco scene, but the public went for it.

Another example: in the movie Bonnie and Clyde, Bonnie starts to feel regret about pursuing a life of crime by the end of the movie. The two main characters are shown robbing and killing, and the movie clearly shows the down-side of being a professional bank robber. However, the clothing worn by Bonnie and Clyde in the movie set the fashion world on fire, after the movie's second release and wide success at the box office. Faye Dunaway commented in an interview that when she arrived in France shortly after the movie became a sensation, all of the women were wearing berets similar to the one she wore in the movie.

I believe movies as an art form can have a great impact on Society. Movies that have a good message, or wisdom to impart, or just good thoughtful entertainment. That being said I think that in the last several decades movies have been moving away from art to entertainment that appeals to the lowest common denominator to make the most money it can. I don't think current movies want to influence anybody, most of the movies that want to make money are setting up an echo chamber. This is seen especially in the movie industry refusing to invest in innovative films. They keep pouring out remakes of old movies or movie series that are financial successes but have little to do with influencing society. The are exceptions of course, but you have to look to art houses for the truly innovative films. In short, (too late) I think films have tremendous potential to influence and even shape our culture, but that the potential to create the films that can do that is being grossly underutilized.

I Enjoy Working With People
Yes. When the cost of making movies greatly escalated in the 1970's, and especially when the advertising costs escalated with Jaws, profitability became a much more important factor in determining which movies are produced. At major studios, accountants are in control now, not artists.

On the other hand, studios are able to fund a few movies for niche markets from the enormous profits brought in by hugely popular blockbusters. So, some creative innovation is funded by the movies made for mass appeal.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The documentary The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris) freed a man from prison and a murder conviction.

What fascinates me the most about the influence of movies is that movie fans and the general public adopt the dress and behavior of movie characters who reject those behaviors in the movie. Example: the rise of disco dancing after Saturday Night Fever came out. The main character ended up rejecting the disco scene, but the public went for it.

Another example: in the movie Bonnie and Clyde, Bonnie starts to feel regret about pursuing a life of crime by the end of the movie. The two main characters are shown robbing and killing, and the movie clearly shows the down-side of being a professional bank robber. However, the clothing worn by Bonnie and Clyde in the movie set the fashion world on fire, after the movie's second release and wide success at the box office. Faye Dunaway commented in an interview that when she arrived in France shortly after the movie became a sensation, all of the women were wearing berets similar to the one she wore in the movie.
The Getaway -- after a while, Steve McQueen says "What are we doing this for?" - and it's the best line in the movie. Prison time, constantly on edge, and then not even being able to enjoy the money.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Yes. When the cost of making movies greatly escalated in the 1970's, and especially when the advertising costs escalated with Jaws, profitability became a much more important factor in determining which movies are produced. At major studios, accountants are in control now, not artists.

On the other hand, studios are able to fund a few movies for niche markets from the enormous profits brought in by hugely popular blockbusters. So, some creative innovation is funded by the movies made for mass appeal.
Exactly.. Studios used to make many movies a year, taking more chances, but after Jaws, they made less, took no chances. Back then, though they were businessmen, they LOVED movies.

I'm watching a lot of Fassbinder, who made about 4 movies a year.