Last great Foreign Film you saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Another one of them.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ghost In The Machine
Foreign? ...or is it World Cinema?

Just watched:

Blue is the Warmest Colour ...9/10

The Great Beauty (Italian: La grande bellezza) ...8/10

IP Man.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
A Short Film About Love, which I just viewed last night. It instantly became one of my very favourite films.

The last great foreign film that I saw recently is Cinema Paradisco and it a great foreign film to watch if you are still doing your MOFO 80's list.

Goodbye Dragon Inn (2003) by Tsai Ming-Liang

I have been going through the filmograpy of Tsai Ming-Liang, while many of his films are superb, i feel like this is one of his most important. However i would say that What Time Is It There? from 2001 is also up there as one of his best. Goodbye Dragon Inn is in someway one of his most radical piece of art, in terms of, that there is nearly no dialogue, maybe 4-6 sentences all in all. The movie is stripped down and could just be seen as a movie about moviegoers going to the last show of a cinema, but the interaction or the lack of interaction, between these moviegoers is interesting. Michal J. Andersson from Tativille writes: "the space becomes the perfect platform for Tsai's thought: here is a place where people find themselves in close proximity, even as they fail to interact with one another"

The aesthetics of the movie are to die for, but in general so are all of Tsai Ming Liangs movies. I would definitely call him a great auteur as there is a distinct creative vision that goes through all of his movie. This is a must watch if your interested in contemplative cinema, Taiwanese cinema or interested in one of the great directors, who is still working today! His 2013 feature Stray Dogs continue his line of very good movies, with a distinct personal creative vision!

It's about boring people watching boring movie yet we somehow do the same while watching Goodbye, Dragon Inn. Inception ain't got sh*t on it. It's also the slowest comedy film ever made. Situations are awkwardly hilarious.

"The cinema is dead, so let's make another boring film! And now a glorious twist - the main hero goes to the toilet!"

PS: I loved it.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Goodbye, Dragon Inn is the best of the few Tsai Ming-Liang films I've seen. As Minio said, it's among the slowest comedies ever made, and it tackles its comic-elegiac tone perfectly. It's also worth noting that while he is working within the Taiwanese industry, Tsai is not Taiwanese. He's from Malaysia, but after studying in Taiwan an seeing the great degree of freedom allowed by the industry at the time, he decided to make films there and has since worked and lived there, but he certainly maintains his Malaysian identity.

Also, nice to see you quoting Michael J. Anderson, TokeZa!

Oh, thank you so much for reminding me about this movie Takeza!
I remember I watched this long time ago and have been haunted by its memories since then, but unfortunately didn't recall the title name nor the director, I only recalled was that it was an asian work.
I need to re-watch this! Thanks a lot!

L'argent (1983) by Robert Bresson

First of all i want to say i am a huge fan of films like A Man Escaped, Pickpocket and Au hasard Balthazar so i might be a bit biased when it comes to the movies of Bresson. L'argent was the last movie from Bresson, but i must say that its one of the most intriguing ones, of those that i have seen. The film contains a lot of subtleties even though its quite minimalistic. As far i understand it, its Bressons take on capitalism and a quite harsh one i must say. The title in Danish would be translated in to something like "Blood Money", which is quite fitting for this harsh yet poetic movie. The actions througout the movie by most of the characters are depicted rather coldly and through these actions the movie builds up to a climax of comatosely proportions.

I wont say i was blown away as i was by A Man Escaped and Pickpocket, but L'argent still ranks among the finer works of Robert Bresson. A huge recommendations considering his filmography.

+

I couldn't get into L'Argent. My least favourite Bresson.