Batman TV series (1966-1968)

Tools    

I’ve been a fan of the Adam West Batman series since I was very young and as soon as all 120 episodes (3 seasons) were available on DVD, I was first in line to purchase it. Thought this thread would good for fans to discuss favourite villains, episodes, or even the best cliffhanger trap of the series.

My favourite villain hands down is The Joker and the first episode he appeared in “The Joker is wild” is one of my favourite episodes. But there are many villains not to be forgotten: The Bookworm, The Clock king, Two-Face, False-Face, King Tut, The Archer and Egghead just to name a few.

This series never tires and although season 3 didn’t quite keep things alive, it will always be classic retro TV.

I should know this, but I'm trying to think if any villains on the show were first in the comics outside of the "big 4" (Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman). I think all the rest were created just for the show... not quite: Mr. Freeze was in the comics also (he first appeared as "Mr. Zero").

Can anyone remember any others who were in the comics before the TV show?

P.S. Two-Face was never on the TV series, but was a comic villain long before. He subsequently appeared in an animated movie that used the voice talents from the TV show.

I should know this, but I'm trying to think if any villains on the show were first in the comics outside of the "big 4" (Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman). I think all the rest were created just for the show... not quite: Mr. Freeze was in the comics also (he first appeared as "Mr. Zero").

P.S. Two-Face was never on the TV series, but was a comic villain long before. He subsequently appeared in an animated movie that used the voice talents from the TV show.
Very true about Two-Face. He shows up in the not so good Batman Forever but his disfigurement was considered too frightening for kids TV. Rumour goes the part was to be played by Clint Eastwood.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I watched this series when it was on TV in the sixties. I was born in 1961, so I was a mere kid at the time and didn't fully appreciate the campy humor. I might have to watch some episodes again now, just to bring my adult sensibilities to the episodes.

I did, though, have a wicked crush on Robin. And of course, that meant I hated Kitty.

Here's a fun list of the TV series villains, ranked. It includes those roles that had multiple actors in them:

https://www.metv.com/lists/all-37-vi...-series-ranked

I watched this series when it was on TV in the sixties. I was born in 1961, so I was a mere kid at the time and didn't fully appreciate the campy humor. I might have to watch some episodes again now, just to bring my adult sensibilities to the episodes.

I did, though, have a wicked crush on Robin. And of course, that meant I hated Kitty.

Here's a fun list of the TV series villains, ranked. It includes those roles that had multiple actors in them:

Great link.

I was born in 1978 and Batman was always on breakfast TV in the 80s. My parents hated this as I would never get ready for school.
A couple of books that I have are well worth checking out if you are a fan of the series.

Great link.

I was born in 1978 and Batman was always on breakfast TV in the 80s. My parents hated this as I would never get ready for school.
A couple of books that I have are well worth checking out if you are a fan of the series.

Well, for starters, I bought the DVD set of the whole series after reading this thread. It'll be here Friday! Better than a book!

Well, for starters, I bought the DVD set of the whole series after reading this thread. It'll be here Friday! Better than a book!
Glad this thread has had some influence. Enjoy the revisit.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Wikipedia page for the TV series has a section about "Comic story adaptations". This seems to have the information about which stories were based on previous stories in the comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...ry_adaptations

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I think I first watched the show when it was in reruns, so I was a teenager at the time. I loved the campiness of the show. Adam West is my favorite Batman.

But I thought that was Robin very annoying, and my opinion of him hasn't changed over the years.

The Wikipedia page for the TV series has a section about "Comic story adaptations". This seems to have the information about which stories were based on previous stories in the comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman...ry_adaptations
Thanks for that, gbg!

Another villain who's name from the TV show rang a bell for me was "Clock King".

There was a villain named Clock King (real name William Tockman) who was a nemesis of Green Arrow in DC comics - he first appeared in 1960.

However, I don't know if the villain on the TV show (played by Walter Slezak) was intended to be the same villain as I don't think his real name was ever given and his costume was unlike any that ever appeared in the comics.

This one's a bit controversial: Egghead (played by Vincent Price on the Batman TV series).

Was this a case of plagiarism? Because Marvel Comics had introduced an Ant-Man villain named Egghead in 1962 who was also an evil genius with an egg-shaped head! Batman's Egghead wore a white suit with yellow trim, while Marvel's Egghead usually wore a white lab coat with a suit underneath.

@Austruck, I was also born in 1961, so I didn't get the campy, jokey humor either. I took the show totally seriously!

Referring to @Thunderbolt and his comments on villains, I was totally in love with Julie Newmar as Catwoman and loved all the episodes where she was coming onto Batman, and when Batman asked "What about Robin?" she answered, "We'll kill him!" Then, when she'd "die" on her episodes, I always thought it was for good and didn't think about how she had nine lives and would always come back.

My other two favorite villains were The Riddler because I just loved how Frank Gorshin played him and particularly his wild laugh, then the next would be Egghead, because, huge Vincent Price fan here!

It was only years later that I got the humor with things like New Gurnsey (Jersey), Mayor Linseed (Lindsay, the New York mayor at the time), and on and on. I think eventually that I'll also spring for the box set. Just a wonderful childhood treat that still tickles me in adulthood.

Speaking of Catwoman (we all know there were three: Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether - only for the movie version, and Eartha Kitt).

I don't have this on any authority, but it seems they toned down the very overt flirtation & various sexual innuendos between Catwoman and Batman when Earth Kitt took the role - I suspect this is because she was black and the TV powers-that-be'ed felt it was "inappropriate" to hint at an inter-racial relationship, even in the form of flirting, at that time.

If anyone can deny or confirm this, please let us know.

Eartha, by the way, made a great Catwoman - in real life her name was Kitt (as if she was destined for the role) and she had a face that literally looked like a Persian cat!

This may be an unorthodox take but, for me, Lee Meriweather >>>>Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt.

Burt Ward wrote an hilarious account of his days as Robin, including incidents of rampant orgies in full-costume. Adam West has strongly contested the accuracy of these events.

My favourite Catwoman from the series hands down has to be Julie Newmar.

My favourite villain putting the big four aside is The Bookworm. I love the over the top insanity played by Roddy McDowall. Sadly his character only appeared in 2 episodes.

But nothing beats this guy!

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
One of the things I always liked about Batman was those few episodes where they were "climbing" a building and they encountered someone famous poking their head out of a window.

I remember the Sammy Davis one!

I just started disc 1, season 1, episode 1. I'm really gonna love this now, having not seen it at all since I was a kid too young to get it.