The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've not seen either one. Just watched the Buster Scruggs trailer and it looks like something I might like, but the Coens are very hit or miss for me.
So is this MV. First, second, and fifth segments are really good, the third and forth are meh, and the sixth is crap.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

One-Eyed Jacks was in contention for a spot on my list but just didn't quite make it. Unfortunately High Plains Drifter is not one of the limited number of westerns I own and it's been too many years since I last saw it for me to have reliably considered it for my list (which also means I won't even count it as 'seen').

Seen: 37/70
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.02):
30. Comanche Station
29. Blazing Saddles

Nice to see One-Eyed Jacks do well. It also made my 60's list.

The Great Silence was one of my very last cuts. I haven't seen it in about 5 years and I'm sure that was a factor.

I love some Coen films but also find some of their quirkier stuff unbearable. I had no interest in Buster Scruggs but watched it for this. It was quite good.

For many years High Plains Drifter was 1 of maybe 20 westerns I ever saw. I watched it again for this and it's good, but it wasn't as good after many years and many other westerns.

3. Little Big Man (#39)
7. Shane (#43)
9. One-Eyed Jacks (#32)
10. My Darling Clementine (#44)
11. The Shootist (#57)
18. Day of the Outlaw (#77)
19. Red River (#56)
21. The Cowboys (#50)
23. Open Range (#36)
24. The Furies (#84)
25. Winchester 73 (#53)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #13.

I love the Coens and while this isn’t as great as their masterpieces it’s still a fun movie made with the usual skill and thematic elements you expect from them.
I only watched Ballad the other day (post voting) as I noticed it on Netflix, the more I think about it the more it grows on me. I keep thinking about Franco's line on Hangman's row "first time?", epic Coen humour right there.

Every short story was good and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite.

It may be overperforming on this list due to the recency factor and that it's a Coen, but in time it might earn it's place on merit.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The first of these four; The Great Silence was #12 on my list.

The Great Silence aka Il Grande Silenzio

Tigrero, a.k.a. Loco: Why don't you tell me? Tell me now, or don't you wanna live?
Outlaw: [choking] I-In the mill... at, the edge of town... near - there's a wife's house... I think he's got a gun there...
Tigrero, a.k.a. Loco: Thank you.
[shoots him]

Speaking of spaghetti western grit, this film delivers! Without any comedic respite, the action in this film and the very actions of those in the story are as equally harsh and as indifferently cruel as the snow drenched Utah wilderness that encases this story.

Watching this I had opted for the original Italian audio with English subtitles so that I could enjoy the nuances of Klaus Kinski's offhanded bemusement at every turn. Luxuriously enjoying committing legal murder as one of many bounty hunters without any repercussions. His serpentine delivery of dialogue was some of the best in this film.

Equally, the snow covered mountain range is just as much a taciturn element as is the mute gunslinger Silence who attempts to put a stop to the brutality of the greedy Bounty Hunters who happily kill for their money.
Volatile means for a volatile time and this film truly expresses it
WARNING: "to the point of the ending" spoilers below
where the hero is murdered, along with the woman who loves him and the hostages (the wronged outlaws that were forced to theft to simply survive) are slaughtered. With the villain still alive and continuing his evil pursuits.

You DO NOT get anymore hardcore than that.

This is also a very beautifully filmed movie as well. The landscapes were just as glorious to behold as any desert scenario by so many other Westerns, and expressed with equal grandeur and danger as well.
I'm a fan of Coen Brothers and thoroughly enjoyed their Netflix anthology film; The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It was everything to be expected and appreciated for by the Coens. A very fun western that ran the circuit of amusing to bleak.

One Eyed Jacks is one I have not seen and I cannot decide if it is something I wish or need to see.

Making my very first Clint Eastwood flick to make the list at #20, High Plains Drifter is a spaghetti western* directed by Eastwood has a bit of a supernatural aspect to the avenging Stranger who takes over a town terrified of three outlaws fresh out of jail for a crime they committed for the Townsfolk. Thinking him a possible Savior only to discover he's there for retribution. Making things worse for them all as he orders them about and degrades one and all. Except for a dwarf by the name of Mordecai who he makes Mayor to the agitation of the townsfolk who treated Mordecai as a whipping boy.
It's volatile and filled with dark humor, with several tip of the hats to both his directing mentor, Don Seigel and to Sergio Leone. There is also a foreshadow to the smart-mouthed nature of Eastwood's Dirty Harry as he delivers sarcastic quips to any attempting to dispute or argue with him.

*EDIT: Thank you, @Holden Pike for the correction. This is NOT a spaghetti western. I misspoke. It is a revisionist western made in a STYLE that is similar to many spaghetti westerns.

Movies Watched 47 out of 70 (67.14%)

John Wayne Films: Two
Clint Eastwood Films: One

MY LIST

2. Open Range (#2)
6. Ride The High Country (#63)
7. The Proposition (#46)
10. The Cowboys (#50)
11. The Grey Fox (#66)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
19. The Quick & The Dead (#42)
20. High Plains Drifter (#31)
24. Red River (#56)

Rectification List (for my own old decrepit noodle)
1. Warlock (#94)
2. Naked Spur (#86)
3. The Great Train Robbery (#60)
4. Winchester '73 (#53)
5. 3:10 To Yuma ['57] (#48)
6. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
One-Eyed Jacks is my #7. Long, brooding, measured revenge western is one of the best ever made, full of great characters, acting, photography, startling bursts of violence, wicked humor, and a great teaming of Marlon Brando and Karl Malden. Some people may find the film overly reliant on romance, but that's what adds to its complexity since true romance is rare in most classic westerns, and in this one, it helps to balance out all the visionary qualities which Brando applies here in his one shot at directing. Of course, the rumor is that Brando wanted to release a five-hour version of the film before the studio took it from him and cut it to 141 minutes. Oh, lookie here at the supporting cast: Ben Johnson, Katy Jurado, Slim Pickens, Timothy Carey, Elisha Cook, Jr., Hank Worden, Philip Ahn, Mickey Finn, Snub Pollard and Pina Pellicer (who was in the underseen Macario the year earlier and died by suicide much too young three years later).

I recommend all the others but much has already been said about them. I just thought I'd add that the ending to The Great Silence is one of the most shocking ever.

My List

1. Little Big Man
7. One-Eyed Jacks
8. The Professionals
10. Red River
11. Oklahoma!
12. Hud
14. Giant
20. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!

Okee-dokee, The Great Silence is a film I've not heard much about but was vaguely aware of. I did not watch it for this countdown. Yet, I feel another Western with Klaus Kinksi will make an appearance.

I've see the first segment of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and loved it, but I got distracted, didn't watch the rest of the movie, but I'm still looking forward to it. I figured it would make the list because it's really been talked up since its release.

I watched One-Eyed Jacks a long time ago but haven't seen it since. I remember enjoying it but need to revisit it.

High Plains Drifter is one of my favorite Clint Eastwood Westerns but I shoved it aside for other Clint to come, I'm sure.

High Plains Drifter...yahoo! yet another fine western from my ballot. I had it at #23. I've always liked HPD and seen it many times on TV. I'm sure someone by know has compared it to The Twilight Zone meets Spaghetti western...well if not, I just did

One-Eyed Jacks (Marlon Brando, 1961)

The opening scene jumped into the story with no set up and so I didn't know what was going on. The first 15 minutes are confusing. But when Marlon Brando and Karl Malden end up on top of a hill surrounded by the law...that's when the film got more interesting!

What sold me on One Eyed Jacks, was the second act when Brando ends up at Karl Malden's house and encounters the wife and daughter of his former friend. The tension between Malden and Brando was palatable. But for me it was the doomed romance between Rio and Louisa, that made the film so memorable.

Brando is great in this. He's the bad guy who's a no good liar and yet he's human enough for me to still root for his character. Karl Malden was also good at being subdued but powerful. What Marlon does with a furled brow and a sulk, Malden does equally well with a cold icy stare. Slim Pickens as the slimy bad Deputy, made for a really 'good' bad guy. And I even liked the wife of the Sheriff, Kay Jurado, who's also in the western classic High Noon.

I really liked Louisa (Pina Pellicer), she had this vulnerable sadness quality to her that made her memorable. I was saddened to learn that she died only a couple years after making this movie.

+
@Zotis have you seen One Eyed Jacks? I think you might really like Pina Pellicer in this as Louisa, I sure did.

Two I unfortunately didn’t get around to.

Seen: 16/70
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)

My list:
14. Hell or High Water
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Welcome to the human race...
I watched One-Eyed Jacks for the first time in the lead-up to this countdown and thought it was okay. High Plains Drifter almost made my list so I'm glad it got this much recognition.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked Open Range enough for it to be considered for my list, but unfortunately, I just couldn't find any room for it. It probably would have made my list if it was a top 30 or 35 movies.

Hell or High Water is a good movie, but it just didn't feel like a western to me, so I didn't consider it for my list.

I didn't watch The Great Silence because it didn't sound like my type of movie, but people keep talking about some kind of secret ending, and now you're making me curious about it. I might have to watch it anyway.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and One-Eyed Jacks are both movies that were on my watchlist for this countdown, but they just kept getting pushed down because they didn't sound like my type of movies. I left them on my watchlist, and I might still watch them if they happen to cross my path someday.

I watched several of Clint Eastwood's western movies for this countdown, but to be honest, I didn't really care much for any of his early westerns, and they all kind of blended together in my mind, and I can't remember which is which movie. Is High Plains Drifter the movie where he literally painted the town red?

I love High Plains Drifter. Eastwood plays one of the most sadistic anti-heroes you'll find in any movie. The only character spared his wrath is Mordecai the dwarf, the only one who didn't participate in the town's crime. So of course he makes him the sheriff to piss off the townspeople. I had it at #5.

My List:

5. High Plains Drifter (#31)
6. Little Big Man (#39)
7. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
10. The Shootist (#58)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
15. 3:10 to Yuma (#48)
18. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (#76)
19. The Naked Spur (#86)
20. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (#67)
22. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
24. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

So is this MV. First, second, and fifth segments are really good, the third and forth are meh, and the sixth is crap.

I agree with you, although I rate it much lower. It's unfathomable to me why this movie got the praise that it did. It possibly might be considered a fair movie by an unknown, or lesser writer/director, but from the Coen Bros. IMO it's way down the quality list of their films.

There were some good segments and scenes --the opening, although a little pretentious, was at least Coen quirky-- but most of the stories fell flat, were jaundiced or deprecating, and worst of all, not funny.

My hunch is that many thought they were supposed to like it, since it was from the mighty Coens.

Lord knows what they're going to do with Macbeth, coming out in '21.

One-Eyed Jacks is my #7. Long, brooding, measured revenge western is one of the best ever made, full of great characters, acting, photography, startling bursts of violence, wicked humor, and a great teaming of Marlon Brando and Karl Malden.

One thing that I've noticed about many of Brando's earlier movies is that he always liked to be put in the position of getting beat up, whipped, or otherwise physically harmed or shamed, e.g. The Wild One, On the Waterfront, One Eyed Jacks, The Ugly American, Reflections in a Golden Eye, and the like.

Great actor, VERY strange guy....

The sixth was perhaps my favorite one. Very Coenesque. And a perfect closing to the movie.

One thing that I've noticed about many of Brando's earlier movies is that he always liked to be put in the position of getting beat up, whipped, or otherwise physically harmed or shamed, e.g. The Wild One, On the Waterfront, One Eyed Jacks, The Ugly American, Reflections in a Golden Eye, and the like.
He gets the ever-loving snot beat out of him in The Chase, too.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
My hunch is that many thought they were supposed to like it, since it was from the mighty Coens.

Lord knows what they're going to do with Macbeth, coming out in '21.
After that they should do a remake of A Star Is Born.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had High Plains Drifter at 10. A great Eastwood Western.

And I had One Eyed Jack's at 17. Another watch could have had it even higher possibly.