Help The Samoan's 60's list

→ in
Tools    

Cape Fear deserves more than a 3.5. The remake was..........ridiculous, to say the least. DAMN YOU SCORSESE AND YOUR WACKY STYLE!

Unregistered User

Pierrot Le Fou (1965)

I really is a visually stunning film, especially in blu-ray. I loved the storyline and Belmondo and Karina really were fantastic together. Some parts i found a bit confusing and the middle of the film i struggled a bit which stops me rating it higher. I prefer Breathless but I would definately reccommend watching this.

Unregistered User

Cathy Come Home (1966)

Utterly bleak and depressing TV drama from the BBC, directed by none other than Ken Loach. A young couple fall in love and start a family however an absolute failure of a housing system puts a massive strain on the family. Very hard to rate this as it is so heart wrenching but Carol White's performance as Cathy deserves to be seen. From what I hear this drama played an important part within social services here in the UK.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's not a 60s film but if you're after an Irish Cathy Come Home, check out Pavee Lackeen: The Traveller Girl. It's a pretty stunning bit of naturalist film making.

Unregistered User
It's not a 60s film but if you're after an Irish Cathy Come Home, check out Pavee Lackeen: The Traveller Girl. It's a pretty stunning bit of naturalist film making.
Cheers Tac, heard of it before but just added to watch list now.

Unregistered User
Z has already been mentioned a couple times; I just watched it this past weekend. If you like political thrillers, it's a must see.
Saw you gave that a high rating, will get on it ASAP. Glad you liked Hour of the Wolf, it'll probably make my list.

Unregistered User

The Silence (1963)

I mentioned elsewhere that for me, this was not up with Bergman's best. However it certainly warrants a rewatch as it really is a beautifully atmospheric Freudian-like labyrinth of a movie. The two lead roles also deserve a mention as they both give really impressive and haunting performances.

although this will probably change

Unregistered User

The Cremator (1969)

A strange one. Some really dark humour here almost akin to Man Bites Dog but perhaps not as obvious. I love psychological thriller/horror so this one certainly did not disappoint but it really is like nothing i've watched before, which obviously is no bad thing, it's just making it more difficult for me to rate. I'm by no means knowledgeable about the technical side of film but the one thing I did love about The Cremator was the camera work, especially the use of fish-eye lens which reminded me of Polanski's work, which I absolutely adore at present.

+ (likely to change)

Unregistered User

Red Angel (1966)

Really powerful and disturbing anti-war drama about a nurse stationed at the front line during the Japanese War on China. With scenes of rape, suicide, surgery, drug abuse and dismemberment, Red Angel is a film that I would only recommend to the more battle-hardened of viewers. Some of the visuals are pretty grotesque but worse than that is the sound! The noise from the cutting and sawing of limbs is enough to satisfy the most bloodthirsty of gorehounds. I must add though, that despite this brutal setting, there is also a love story that unravels here, so to expect this to be just an exploitive war film would be a mistake.

Unregistered User

Z (1969)

I'm not a huge fan of political drama if thst is what you want to call this but Z is right up there with the best I have seen. I had no knowledge of Greece's history of politics so I was a dit daunted going in to this but thankfully this wasn't a necessity to enjoy this.
A seriously powerful and thrilling film littered with great performances that kept me hooked throughout.

+

Unregistered User

Classe Tous Risques (1960)

Effortlessly cool crime drama starring Lino Ventura and a really young looking Jean-Paul Belmondo. Plays out almost like a noir and stays tense and suspenseful throughout. Ventura stars as Abel, an old-school-tough-as-nails criminal on the lam in Italy and decides that the best bet is to make to a break for it back to his homeland, France. Events however take a nasty turn and he finds himself with nowhere to turn. Enter Belmondo.

Such a shame that this was released the same year as A bout de souffle, also starring Belmondo, as this is a remarkably impressive bit of filmmaking.

Unregistered User

The Wild Bunch (1969)

Superbly entertaining and dare I say it, macho film. An all star cast that performs brilliantly, especially Holden, in what is probably my favourite performance of his. Gorgeously violent and with a stunning finale, i'm already looking forward to watching this again soon.

+

Master of My Domain
Z and The Wild Bunch are both favorites of mine.

Same with cricket about Classe Tous Risques

Classe tous risque was pretty good I also watched it recently.

From the less known films I've seen from the 60's I would suggest: Un Homme et une Femme (A man and a Woman), The Hill, Il Sorpasso, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, My Night at Maud's, Red Beard, The Lion in Winter, Inherit The Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg and Fahrenheit 451

Unregistered User
Classe tous risque was pretty good I also watched it recently.

From the less known films I've seen from the 60's I would suggest: Un Homme et une Femme (A man and a Woman), The Hill, Il Sorpasso, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, My Night at Maud's, Red Beard, The Lion in Winter, Inherit The Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg and Fahrenheit 451
Cheers Pussy, i haven't seen any of those so the're now on the ever expanding watchlist.

Cricket and Gatsby, hope you both enjoy, which you should.

Unregistered User

Eyes Without a Face (1960)

Really enjoyed this one. Loved the totally disturbing story behind it and the totally bleak atmposhere from the begining. The only real fault I have with it was the pacing of the film was a bit slow for my taste but for a horror film released 55 years ago it really is a groundbreaking film. I'm just gutted I wasn't around when it first came out.