The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

By the way, these two, along with Watchmen, were part of one of several three-way ties. They all had 77 points, with Caché getting the top spot by virtue of being on more ballots (6, as opposed to 5 for the other two).

For what it's worth, there are still several ties coming, including a 4-way tie.

movies can be okay...
Caché was my #18

Hopefully it's not the last we see of Haneke.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Happy to see Cache make it - figured it would after it's placing in the foreign film countdown, which was in the 80s as well. It's been a while since I saw The Three Burials...but I do remember liking it.

4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
6. Caché (2005)
25. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't seen Caché, but The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was my #5. Here's my review from back when I saw it in the theater:

Borders and alienation are at the heart of Tommy Lee Jones’s new (and first) film, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, even as the way in which profound friendship can cut across borders and mend even the seemingly unmendable wounds of life—along with a healthy dose of dark humor—lifts the film out of the realm of cynicism to somewhere hopeful.

This is a great film by any measure. Guillermo Arriaga’s (Amores Perros, 21 Grams) carefully crafted script deliberately unravels the fate of Melquiades (Julio Cedillo), the mystery being not so much what happened but how do we come to this place, where we have to look at each other across a line, and what do we see there? Jones paces the film out so that time stretches to encompass understanding—scenes grow longer as mystery fades into comprehension (though, as in life, not all mysteries are solved).

Shot in Jones’s backyard along the Texas-Mexico border, The Three Burials … captures the stark and relentless beauty of a region that, in some ways, is still frontier-land, emotionally, as well as physically. Barry Pepper is excellent as the unthinking outsider transformed by the harsh tutelage of Tommy Lee Jones’s Pete, Melquiades’s loyal friend. Melissa Leo and January Jones are latter-day frontierswomen who present sexual availability but also, in the end, a willingness to set their own terms. If everyone else weren’t so good, Levon Helm would steal the film in his brief appearance as its blind oracle (Homer and Peckinpah both make their presence felt).

At once a throwback to the films of Peckinpah, Leone (the score is by Marco Beltrami, a student of Jerry Goldsmith and, according to Jones, Ennio Morricone), and Kurosawa, and an original vision, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is a masterful achievement, thematically rich and vastly entertaining.

Some trivia notes:

Tommy Lee Jones and I both went to the same high school (though not at the same time!). He visited the school my senior year for my creative writing class and a school assembly (this was after The Executioner's Song and Lonesome Dove, but before The Fugitive). The only thing I remember from his talks is that he regretted turning down the lead in Robocop.

I saw this movie at a special showing after which he gave a Q&A, and which was presented by his college roommate and alternate-universe U.S. President Al Gore. I can report that even failed presidential candidates have an absolute phalanx of bodyguards.

Haven’t seen Sunshine… I’m actually a fan of Watchmen and find it to be Snyder’s last decent movie (at least for live-action). A grand and faithfully realized comic book epic. I’ve seen it quite a few times. Kinda love it.

Not seen or even heard of that Tommy Lee Jones feature. The only movie I’ve seen directed by him was The Homesman. It was okay.

I’ve seen Caché. It was not on my list but it’s a solid movie. Crazy, but solid.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is a fine examination of the differences (if any) between revenge and redemption with tip-top performances by Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper.

Caché is my fave Haneke, along with Amour, because even though it's full of his usual vagueness, it seems to have more real mystery and legitimate ways to interpret it. The use of videos, which he does a lot in his movies, seems to be what makes the mystery more suspenseful and successful here.

Still, I didn't vote for them.

88. Sunshine (76 points)
87. Watchmen (77 points)
86. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (77 points)
85. Caché (77 points)

I've seen all of them. Disliked Watchmen, really not my thing. The other three are good but a bit surprised to see them here, Cache is especially good but I chose another Haneke for my ballot.

Caché is #16 on my list as well as my favorite Haneke movie. There is another one of his movies I considered for my list (that may be the one that's on ScarletLion's list), but it didn't quite make it. In addition to Caché being an original creation by the writer/director, that the movie also seems to come from a personal place for Haneke and that it has so many of the signatures that made me a fan of his movies (a voyeuristic style, ambiguity, respect for the audience's intelligence, scrutinizing the rich and powerful, etc.) gives it the edge.

Critics

Critics thoughts on #86, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada...

It currently has a 85% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.4/10 score on IMDb (with 40,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"The journey and its end will involve more discoveries and more surprises; it traverses the same kinds of doomed landscapes we picture when we read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. What gathers in this story of lonely men and deep impulses is a kind of grandeur;"
Meanwhile Mick LaSalle, of the San Francisco Chronicle, said:
"For those inclined to take the movie seriously -- and that includes the filmmakers -- The Three Burials can be looked upon as the story of an older man's attempt to teach a younger man a valuable life lesson. Mike needs it. Still, it's difficult to see what lesson our hero is imparting. Don't get stuck in a slow, pretentious art film? Forty minutes of corpse jokes just isn't funny?"
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Holden Pike said:
"Working from a strong script by Guillermo Arriaga (Amores Perros, 21 Grams), director Tommy Lee Jones has crafted a piece of cinematic poetry about friendship, vengeance and responsibility."
On the other hand, @Lennon said:
"Now, this movie isn’t perfect, for instance I didn’t like the characters, not one bit. Barry Pepper’s Mike Norton character was pretty mean; the way he treats the Mexicans, his wife and people around him in general is despicable. Therefore the kindness people give back to him is undeserved. Making me question motives, and pretty much unreal, or at least the way I would act. "

I should check out Three Burials someday. It's been recommended to me a couple times in the past.

Cache didn't make my ballot, but it's still really good and is probably my favorite Haneke film. Granted, his films can sometimes be too cold to register with me (save for The White Ribbon, this is the only one of Haneke's films I can see myself revisiting), but I do like this one a lot. Yes, it's very bleak, but I think its emotional power comes from the despair which persists throughout the film. I also appreciate that he leaves some details ambiguous. Overall, it's a truly fine film.

Tommy Lee Jones' The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was #65 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List as well as #52 on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns List. Michael Haneke's Caché did not appear on the Millennium list though it was #81 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Critics

Critics thoughts on #85, Caché...

It currently has a 89% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.3/10 score on IMDb (with 78,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"I described the film as 'a thriller'. So it is, but a thriller that implodes, not releasing its tension in action but coiling it deeper inside. "
Meanwhile James Berardinelli, of Reelviews, gave it ★★½ and said:
"While Caché offers food for thought, the last third is muddled."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @Okay said:
"The more I think about Caché, the better I like it, and I'm confident that after a second watch it would go down as one of my all time favourites. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, in fact it may even anger you, but it is extremely well done for its intended audience, and also has enough going on to hold anyone's interest."
While @seanc said:
"Cache is more than worthy of your time. Haneke's static shots are beautiful and haunting all at the same time. The characters are well drawn and well portrayed. I do wish that Haneke would allow a little more warmth into his films. "

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
What a confusion, I was pretty sure that I've included Caché in my ballot. Now, I check it and it is not there... Can't understand how this superb Haneke work dropped from my list.
Anyway, this is a film that should be considered by everybody with interest in the art of cinema.
I think, its relatively low rank at #85 is the first surprise for me since I thought Caché would surely make Top 50. Now, I feel guilty of not voting for this movie.

I know nothing about The Three Burials...

Seen 6/16
My list entrants 0/25

Awards

Now to the awards received by The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada...

• Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actor (Tommy Lee Jones)
  • Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Screenplay (Guillermo Arriaga)
  • Ghent International Film Festival Grand Prix Winner
  • Western Heritage Awards Bronze Wrangler

As for Caché, it won...

• Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Director (Michael Haneke)
  • British Independent Film Award for Best Foreign Independent Film
  • European Film Award for Best Film and Director (Haneke)
  • European Film Award for Best Actor (Daniel Auteuil)

Among many others...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Out of the last six I've only seen two:
Watchmen which I haven't seen since it came out in video and would need to see a rewatch to truly comment since it all felt like a hot mess when I saw it back then.

and,

Almost Famous

William Miller: So Russell. . . what do you love about music?
Russell Hammond: To begin with. . . everything.

Known as "director Cameron Crowe's semi-autobiographical account of life as a young Rolling Stone reporter", this film is chock full of references and inside remarks from those early 70s daze of touring with a Rock Band and all the good/bad and crazy situations that happen. A lot of them are based on similar situations that occurred to Crowe during that time in a rosy-tinted perspective.
Some of the references that I got a kick out of included the remark by the Editor of Rolling Stone warning young William Miller (Patrick Fugit) that they already had one Hunter S. Thompson and they didn't need another one. As well as the acidic writer Lester Bangs (Philip Seymour Hoffman) who, for a time, worked for Detroit-based rock magazine, Creem magazine. He'd eventually die of an overdose in the early 80s.

Like he often did, Crowe used relative unknowns that would become very well known, such as Kate Hudson, Billy Crudup, Noah Taylor, Frances McDormand, Anna Paquin, and Zooey Deschanel. Along with Jay & Silent Bob regular Jason Lee as the singer of the fictitious rock band Stillwater that young Miller tours with. The cast does an excellent job and like a number of Crowe's work, there are little personal touches that cause you to find yourself happily drawn into this world and those experiencing it.

A very feel-good, throwback to a different time of Rock and Roll.
I am VERY curious to see Sunshine and truly need to see Three Burials.

Films Watched 9 out of 16 (56.25%)
17. Mother (#96)
25. A Bittersweet Life (One Pointer)

One Pointers: 10 out of 38 (26.31%)