GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

The Chumscrubber (2005) - (Challenge by Zotis) - At first glance, I wasn't even thinking about accepting this challenge because, based on the title of the movie, I thought this was a horror movie. But I decided to give it a chance, and I researched it a little bit, and found out that it isn't a horror movie. It's a drama, with some comedy mixed in, so I decided to give it a chance.

Jamie Bell plays Dean, a teenager whose friend commits suicide. It turns out that his friend was a drug dealer, and the people who he supplied drugs to want the drugs that he left behind, so they come up with a plan to kidnap Dean's younger brother to force Dean to bring them the drugs. There plan goes awry when they kidnap the wrong kid.

In a strange way, this movie kind of reminded me a little bit of the movie Over the Edge (1979) due to the way the adults in the town are all oblivious to the problems that are plaguing the kids in their idealistic world. The parents of the kidnapped boy are so wrapped up in their own world, that they don't even realize that their child is missing. And the kids go on with their troubled lives until tragedy strikes.

This is an interesting movie, with Jamie Bell doing a very good job as the main character, but it's a bit of a darker theme, so it's not my normal type of movie. Having said that, overall, I liked the movie, and I would recommend it if you're looking for something that's a bit different. Thank you to Zotis for recommending this movie.

This movie sounds really interesting, I'm adding it to my watchlist.

Laura (1944) - I watched this movie for the Film Noir HoF. This is another re-watch of a movie that I've seen before, but this movie was my nomination, so you can probably guess that I love this movie.

Dana Andrews stars as Mark McPherson, a police detective who is investigating the murder of Laura Hunt, (Gene Tierney). The suspects include cynical newspaper columnist Waldo Lydecker, (Clifton Webb), Laura's playboy fiancé, Shelby Carpenter, (Vincent Price), Laura's aunt, Ann Treadwell, (Judith Anderson), Laura's housekeeper, Bessie Clary (Dorothy Adams). As Det. McPherson investigates Laura's murder, he sees her portrait, reads her diary, and falls in love with her.

Gene Tierney is absolutely beautiful, so it's easy to see why everyone falls in love with Laura. The acting is amazing by everyone, especially Clifton Webb who gives a standout performance. Even Vincent Price, who is best known for his horror movies, shows that he could have been a great dramatic actor too. The best word that I can use to describe the music is haunting. It's perfect to set the mood of the film.

If you're looking for a good mystery/thriller, I highly recommend this wonderful movie.

I saw Laura for the first time seven or eight months ago and loved it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm snowed in today due to a bad blizzard, so I'll try to update this thread a little bit.

Harry and Tonto (1974)

This is one of those movies that I've kind of avoided over the years because it just looked like it was going to be a depressing movie, but there was a lot of talk about this movie on MoFo recently, and it aired on one of the local movie channels, so I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad that I did, because I enjoyed the movie a lot.

The only part that bothered me a little bit was the scene with the hooker because it felt out of place in the movie. I liked the rest of his journey.

I haven't seen Art Carney in much, so he'll always be Ed Norton in my mind, but I thought he was great in this movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry and Tonto-1974.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	23860  

Fourteen Hours (1951)

This is a great suspenseful movie that is tension-filled from start to finish. Terrific performance by Richard Basehart as the man on the ledge. He really makes you feel what he's going through.

+
Attachments

Name:	Fourteen Hours-1951.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	23861  

The Good Humor Man (1950)

I expected this to be a stupid, but fun movie, and it didn't disappoint me at all. This is a goofy, but fun Jack Carson comedy crime movie. This movie kind of reminded me of an Abbott and Costello movie, but with Jack Carson as Costello.

Attachments

Name:	The Good Humor Man-1950.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	23862  

Invisible Stripes (1939)

I watched this movie mainly because it was listed as a Humphrey Bogart movie, and it was a movie that I hadn't heard of, but this isn't really a Bogart movie. This movie stars George Raft as an ex-con who is trying to go straight, and keep his brother from following him into a life of crime.

This movie is good, but not great. The actors all give good performances, but the story is predictable.

Attachments

Name:	Invisible-Stripes-1939.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	23863  

I'm snowed in today due to a bad blizzard, so I'll try to update this thread a little bit.

Harry and Tonto (1974)

This is one of those movies that I've kind of avoided over the years because it just looked like it was going to be a depressing movie, but there was a lot of talk about this movie on MoFo recently, and it aired on one of the local movie channels, so I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad that I did, because I enjoyed the movie a lot.

The only part that bothered me a little bit was the scene with the hooker because it felt out of place in the movie. I liked the rest of his journey.

I haven't seen Art Carney in much, so he'll always be Ed Norton in my mind, but I thought he was great in this movie.

Giving a hooker a ride to Vegas then getting drunk and arrested? I felt like I was watching myself, one of the reasons I loved it.

Jailhouse Rock (1957)

I'm generally not a fan of Elvis Presley's movies because they're usually so focused on the music that the story isn't very good, but this early Elvis Presley movie is one of his better movies. The story is interesting, and the music is good.

Attachments

Name:	Jailhouse Rock-1957.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23864  

Spymaker: The Secret Life of Ian Fleming (TV Movie-1990)

I watched this movie more out of curiosity than anything else, which is the only reason to watch it because it's not very good. It stars Jason Connery, who is the son of Sean Connery. Jason Connery plays Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, which was Sean Connery's most famous role, so the obvious connection piqued my curiosity.

The movie is pretty boring, and Jason Connery lacks the charisma that his famous father has. If you're a James Bond fanatic, you might want to watch this just out of curiosity, but if not, just pass on this movie.

Attachments

Name:	Spymaker -1990.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	23865  

Welcome to Sherwood! The Story of 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (2003)

This is an interesting documentary on the making of the 1938 movie The Adventures of Robin Hood. I've seen the movie a few times, but it was great hearing some of the behind the scenes stories. I'd recommend this for anyone who likes the movie.

Attachments

Name:	Welcome to Sherwood 2003.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	23866  

Woman's World (1954)

This is a great movie because it showed the importance of the woman behind the man. Three men are being considered for a promotion that only one of them can get, but the best man might not get the job if his wife isn't the right person too. This movie has a great story, and a terrific cast.

+
Attachments

Name:	Womans World-1954.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	23867  

I never heard of Welcome to Sherwood! The Story of 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (2003), but would love to see it. Are you a fan of the 1938 movie?

I like the 1938 movie, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

I've only seen the 38 Robin Hood once, but I liked it. Women's World...funny you should mention that as I just got that from my library but the DVD was cracked so I couldn't watch it. But it sounded good.

Boy on a Dolphin (1957)

This movie is pretty to watch because of the location, but predictable, and kind of boring. There's no chemistry between Sophia Loren and Alan Ladd. IMDB trivia says that Cary Grant was supposed to star in this movie, but had to drop out. This probably would have been a much better movie with him in it.

Attachments

Name:	Boy on a Dolphin-1957.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	23868  

I've only seen the 38 Robin Hood once, but I liked it. Women's World...funny you should mention that as I just got that from my library but the DVD was cracked so I couldn't watch it. But it sounded good.

I thought somebody here reviewed Women's World recently, and I thought it was you, but I guess not. I tried to find it in your review threads, but it wasn't there, so either I remembered the wrong movie, or somebody else around here reviewed it recently.