Do any of you go to movie conventions and how do you act

Tools    

...around the celebrities. My part of the area tends to get a yearly round of actors who visit, mostly horror conventions. Would love to go and ask questions but once I get there feel like the questions would be lacking. They are getting most of the Friday the 13th main girls plus Tom Savini and Kane Hodder for the ScareFest this year in October. I realize the movies don't age but the actors do. Would love to pick their brains on stuff (especially Savini + Kane), but I don't want to be one of those people who have watched too many horror movies type people. Plus Danielle Harris will be attending also...thoughts?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Similar.

I don't directly attend Movie Conventions, exactly, but I do frequently attend Comic Cons and Book Expos every year. I run a small book publishing company and we often attend conventions in the Midwest (last year, I went to several in Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana).

Most Cons I go to are more like a hodgepodge of everything (and so, they do have movie-actors, etc.), rather than being tied down to one primary subject.

Although I still find ways to enjoy myself, they do start to feel like work almost immediately when I attend them. After you've attended like five of them, you start to realize each venue is like a copy-and-paste of the other. Comics with high mark-ups and a lot of the same vendors traveling over from town to town. I am hoping to be a vendor at Wizard Con or a larger convention in Chicago, but that'll cost a lot of money I likely won't make back.

Every now and again, I would have a small-world moment that was kind-of neat. For example, one year I was seated next to the guys who did the motion-capturing for the original Mortal Kombat. The guy who played Kanos, I think? Then, another time I was seated next to Road Warrior Animal (shortly before he died).

It'd be really cool to be able to attend a Horror Con, since that's a lot of what we write. It'd also just be cool to see it as a fan. I don't believe there is such a thing as a person who watched too many horror films, haha.

I do. I usually wear a kimono and a tiara. I act gothic and speak in Klingonese. Why do you ask?

No. I don't actually get the appeal of meeting any of these people. I don't actually even like being around any kind of movie industry shit or any kind of fandom in general. My relationship with actors or directors or whatever is strictly via the screen I watch them on and that's good enough for me.

I've been going to DragonCon for many years and enjoy meeting celebrities and attending their panels. A good rule of thumb is to avoid putting them on a pedestal and being sycophantic. Being grateful that they're there and telling them you like their work is all well and good, but taking it further than that just makes things awkward and embarrassing for everyone. In general, the interactions I've had have been more positive than not, the not so positive ones being the ones where I didn't follow that rule. The best interactions are the ones where they made me feel comfortable, so I hope the ones you want to meet will do that. As for questions, just avoid ones that are too complex, that have too many parts or that reference something that is too obscure and/or specific. They're more likely to result in confused looks, requests to repeat yourself, a response of “I don’t know” and groans or sighs from the audience than meaningful answers.

In short, just avoid doing any of the following and you'll be fine:

I've been going to DragonCon for many years and enjoy meeting celebrities and attending their panels. A good rule of thumb is to avoid putting them on a pedestal and being sycophantic. Being grateful that they're there and telling them you like their work is all well and good, but taking it further than that just makes things awkward and embarrassing for everyone. In general, the interactions I've had have been more positive than not, the not so positive ones being the ones where I didn't follow that rule. The best interactions are the ones where they made me feel comfortable, so I hope the ones you want to meet will do that. As for questions, just avoid ones that are too complex, that have too many parts or that reference something that is too obscure and/or specific. They're more likely to result in confused looks, requests to repeat yourself, a response of “I don’t know” and groans or sighs from the audience than meaningful answers.

In short, just avoid doing any of the following and you'll be fine:

So Galaxy Quest was a documentary?

So Galaxy Quest was a documentary?
Heh. Interactions like the ones in that movie's convention scene and the SNL sketch with William Shatner do happen, but in my experience, not as often as you'd think. One to three times per panel, I'd estimate. Unfortunately, the most common pet peeve that happens in that image is the top left one, i.e., the overly grateful introduction to the question. Is it a kind thing to do? Sure, but the longer it lasts, the fewer the questions.