Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

I found the segments in the sequel played out very flatly, without the dynamism or sense of arc or strong punchlines of the original. I read a Letterboxd review that describes them as having a "two act structure" and I think that hits the nail on the head. "The Raft" at least has some memorable images, so it's easily the best of the three.

Also, the animated bits looked teeeeeeeeeeeeerrible. Yeesh indeed.

I don't disagree with any of this. And at least the more basic stories in the original (FAther's Day, They're all Creeping Up On You) have a dynamic enough character to make up for the narrative flatness. And, obviously, these aren't approaching the kind of high camp perfection that Romero nails. They are cheap carbon copies. But entertaining ones, from my end.

And the animation is pitifull. Just really really bad.

Victim of The Night

I think maybe the best reason one can give for why they love a movie is simply, "It brings me joy." And anyone who knows me knows that The Rocky Horror Picture Show is my favorite movie of all time. So there was much joy.

I first saw this when I was 12-going-on-13 years old at the local one-screen theater's midnight showing (which they did every weekend for years). We had a new teacher, fresh out of college, in my middle school and when he heard us talking how we wanted to see Rocky Horror, he called our parents and asked if it would be ok for him to take us. Incredulous as it may seem by today's or even recent parenting models, all of our parents said yes. He gave us instructions during the week on what we needed to bring to not be labelled "virgins" (the term for anyone who hasn't been to a screening of RHPS)... at 12-13 years old.
The night was electric for us. The theater was a sort of dark carnival bristling with a festive nightmare energy. The lights went down. And then...

The explosion inside me that night was nuclear. So many things, the experience was overwhelming. Music and colors and an otherworldly weirdness, blood and sex and Rock and Roll, motorcycles in the night and lightning and "folk dancing", a transvestite Mad Scientist (when an overt transvestite was unheard of) and a perfect Monster singing about an "orgasmic rush of lust". It was a fusion of all the things that had excited my young brain up to that point and whole buncha new ones too.
A sign had warned me...

...but I pressed heedlessly on and was rewarded with an awakening inside that has never diminished. It is in no small part because of Rocky Horror that I spent so much of my life, as I always put it, "searching for the secret hours of the night".

But enough about my connection to the movie.
For anyone who doesn't know, Rocky Horror is a glam-rock horror-musical adapted from a wildly popular British stage play about a naive middle-American couple who happens upon the Frankenstein castle on the night that its over-sexed Mad Scientist brings his Creation to life. It is steeped in the Horror and Sci-Fi of the 50s and 60s, especially Hammer Horror (the "Frankenstein Place" in RHPS is actually the same castle that Hammer's watershed The Curse Of Frankenstein was filmed and the lab even uses some of the same props) and the music of Marc Bolan and David Bowie.
For many people, the early part of the film, up through "The Time Warp" and ending in "Sweet Transvestite", is what they came for and they tend to lose interest after that. For people like me (and we are legion!), all of that is merely the opener and the movie really begins in earnest when we all go "up to the lab and see what's on the slab".
At this point, Rocky Horror is born and immediately begins singing one of the best songs of the film, "The Sword Of Damocles" and the wildness that makes this movie Horror and sexy and all of the magic really begins.

I have often felt that the tragic third act was actually the best part of the film.

But after my most recent viewing, I think that I actually like the second act best. Which comes as some surprise even to me as this short section is often considered the slow slog one must get through. I have always thought that was nuts but, hey, I love the movie.
Really, I just love everything about this film. I love the way, way offbeat characters, from Little Nell Campbell's Columbia...

... to Riff Raff and Magenta and of course, Dr. Frank N. Furter. I love Eddie. I said it. I actually think both Barry Bostwick and especially Susan Sarandon excel as the "normal" characters who have to be so committed to what they're doing and they are.
The music is absolutely wonderful, arguably the best original soundtrack in film history, the design is fantastic with its perfect mash-up of Hammer and Glam, and its energy is just unlike anything else I can think of.
For me, it is not October without this movie but I have to consider that really, I am not me without this movie.

I think it's funny that they misspell Susan Sarandon's name in the trailer.

Victim of The Night
I think it's funny that they misspell Susan Sarandon's name in the trailer.
Ha!
I never noticed that.

Victim of The Night

I thought I had read somewhere or heard from somebody that maybe this was actually an under-appreciated little "slasher" movie that had slipped through the cracks over the years. So I decided to give it a shot.
But alas it is barely even a movie. There’s almost no story, just "young people go camping and there's something out there that will kill them". There's little to no character building, there are just six generic people (apparently one of them is rich but I was never quite sure which one) who are fodder for the killer who we don't see until the final 5 minutes of the movie. I wasn’t even totally sure who was getting killed at points, and I honestly just didn’t care at all . There’s no setup really, there’s just a couple of quick opening murders and then nothing happens for like 30 straight minutes of a movie that’s only an hour and 19 minutes long. For example, the first kill happens 35 minutes into the movie and then another 30 minutes passes before the next one. In a slasher. And the kills aren't very good. Funny to think that a movie this short could still feel long. It did.
And this movie ends rather icky too. Kinda outta the blue and I was like, "Oh they're not going there with this! Oh... oh, yeah, they sure are." Quite unpleasant.
There is a lot of good nature close-ups though. Birds, frogs, insects, snakes, deer… Honestly, if you just took the kills out, this might be a nice nature-film. And almost just as long for all the action there is. Great Canadian nature-film. But an enthralling October entry, this is not.

An underappreciated talent. He appears to be quite disabled now which is a shame. Where for some work you may want a Gary Oldman or a Daniel Day Lewis, for other purposes (a certain sort of fun) you want a Raul Julia or a Tim Curry.

Victim of The Night
An underappreciated talent. He appears to be quite disabled now which is a shame. Where for some work you may want a Gary Oldman or a Daniel Day Lewis, for other purposes (a certain sort of fun) you want a Raul Julia or a Tim Curry.
Absolutely. Julia dying was a real crime against movie-lovers if you ask me.

Absolutely. Julia dying was a real crime against movie-lovers if you ask me.

But he did gift us with the lark of M Bison on the way out. For us, it was fantastic and bombastic comedic character turn before a unique talent succumbed to cancer. For him, it was Tuesday.

I first saw this when I was 12-going-on-13 years old at the local one-screen theater's midnight showing (which they did every weekend for years). We had a new teacher, fresh out of college, in my middle school and when he heard us talking how we wanted to see Rocky Horror, he called our parents and asked if it would be ok for him to take us. Incredulously, by today's parenting model, all of our parents said yes. He gave us instructions during the week on what we needed to bring to not be labelled "virgins" (the term for anyone who hasn't been to a screening of RHPS)... at 12-13 years old.
Wow, I don't think I've heard this story. That's incredible. Talk about a life-altering experience.
Was that at the Abalon?

Victim of The Night
But he did gift us with the lark of M Bison on the way out. For us, it was fantastic and bombastic comedic character turn before a unique talent succumbed to cancer. For him, it was Tuesday.
I've never seen it.
But I have seriously considered it many times for no other reason than Julia.

Also, as a huge fan of the original Chas Addams cartoon The Addams Family since I was a teenager (decades ago), Julia is the most amazing thing ever. Except maybe the great Angelica Huston as Morticia.

Victim of The Night
Wow, I don't think I've heard this story. That's incredible. Talk about a life-altering experience.
Was that at the Abalon?
It really, really was, man.

Victim of The Night
Before I move on, I just have to say that despite a painfully abbreviated first half of October, man, I'm having' a helluva late run!
More to come.

I've never seen it.
But I have seriously considered it many times for no other reason than Julia.

Also, as a huge fan of the original Chas Addams cartoon The Addams Family since I was a teenager (decades ago), Julia is the most amazing thing ever. Except maybe the great Angelica Huston as Morticia.

Victim of The Night
Was that at the Abalon?
At the Sena Mall, actually.

I recommend the YouTube channel Michael Myers of Decatur, which is about a dad who dresses up as Michael Myers in his small town, much to his wife's chagrin. It's also on TikTok.

Enjoy:

Victim of The Night

Wax sculptor Ivan Igor (Lionel Atwill) is so gifted that a wealthy investor wants to recommend him to the Royal Academy, so his Wax Museum is looking up. Unfortunately, his current financial-backer is tired of losing money on Igor's "art" while other Wax Museums make money showing murder scenes and such, so he has decided to burn the place down for the insurance money. When Igor tries to stop him he is knocked unconscious and left for dead. Some years later, Igor, having survived the fire but crippled in the accident, is opening a new museum using younger artists and the mysterious Dr. Rasmussen to physically create what he now designs. But when a body goes missing from the morgue and there seems to be a killer on the loose, questions about how Igor's statues are so lifelike begin to arise.
This was technically the second but released as the third of the three films Atwill and Fay Wray made in quick succession. With the popularity of (the awesome) Dr. X and the pre-publicity for this film, a "Poverty Row" studio quickly contracted Atwill and Wray to squeeze in the enjoyable The Vampire Bat right after this film wrapped but before it was finished with post-production, actually beating the release of the big-studio film.
Lionel Atwill is always a treat, honestly, and this is the third time this month he has appeared in a Horrorthon movie (Mark Of The Vampire, House Of Frankenstein). I feel like, being a fan of Horror from the 30s and 40s, I probably see him more than any other actor (I mean, he appeared in four Frankenstein movies alone, as a different character in each one!). He can be a bit hammy at times but mostly he's just perfect for this material.

I find it worth mentioning that the killer in this film reminded me so much of Freddy Krueger that I have to wonder if Krueger's backstory and makeup weren't based at least in some part on this film. Especially since
WARNING: "kinda spoilery" spoilers below
the two killers are disfigured in the same way.

A couple of things I love about this film. It is Pre-Code and I love Pre-Code films. While there's nothing really shocking in this film, there's just a very different feel. Ideas that the filmmakers didn't have to shy away from, things the actors can say and do and even dress like are just a lot different from what you become accustomed to just a few years later and it really changes the feel of these films.
The other is that I love the two-color Technicolor technique. It was also used in Dr. X and I just find it so damn cool. I don't know why they stopped using it and went back to black and white (though I guess I could just look it up).
I also don’t think I realized that House Of Wax, the Vincent Price classic, was pretty much a beat for beat remake of this film. I like that movie too.