Mulholland Drive

→ in
Tools    

I'm looking forward to seeing Apocolypse Now Redux too. Sigh. Being left in the non-American countries stinks.

Meanwhile, you'd probably like absurdist plays, GF. Look into Waiting For Godot and Rhinoceros [by Beckett and Ionesco, respectivley]. They're hell funny, if only because they're so stupidly deranged.

They're my two favorite plays.

mulholland drive made sense. are his other movies like that mulholland drive or better? why are they better? ya being out of america kinda does suck, but i fyou live in europe things are almost better for you. we don't get to see the german/spanish/norwegian/etc films. we have to wait for them to come out on dvd years later.

I finally saw this movie last night. I love all of David Lynch's films and this one is no exception!

It's just as surreal and confusing as Lost Highway but I think this movie is so much better!

The elderly couple at the end really creeped me out!

I just saw this movie too. I don't know what to think right now, does anyone think they understand what the hell happened?!

Im not one to too bragg, but I admit I have a pretty big intellectual capacity and I follow almost any movie I see. This one had me stumped a couple times near the end. Basically I put together all the peices of the puzzle, but the big picture still isnt clear to me.

Great movie tho, I saw it on some handcam job, now thats its on DVD ill go and see that to check it out again. This is the first of David Lynchs films ive seen, you say Lost Highway is good? Maybe ill go rent both tomorrow

Female assassin extraordinaire.
aaaah ... finally saw this! i gathered most of the pieces and matches myself, but this is dream logic so yeah, i really don't think the big picture computes. i'm trying to find another mulholland drive thread on the boards though, i know there were other comments on this out there ...

crazed out movie freak
haven't seen it yet. so i take it it comes recommended. i guess i will have to go see it then.someone give me the lowdown though. is it action, suspence, drama what
thanks

I still don't quite get this movie, can anyone please explain!!!!

Okay, even though no one could help me if anyone cares go to salon.com for a full analyzation of the movie!! My suscpions were correct- it's not quite as complicated as everyone's making it out to be.

After seeing Mulholland Drive I was compelled to write a five-thousand word "analysis" on the film. I'm pleased to upload it for anyone -- that being said, be reminded, nothing is hard fact. It's all guess work.

There was another thread on this somewhere, no?

SPOILER!!!!!

The story is basically all a dream, which is why you see a blanket and a pillow on a bed in which the camera zooms in on before any thing happens. Diane, who in dream is Betty, wins a jitterbug competition and decides she wants to be an actress, so she moves to LA and lives in her Aunt Ruths apartment. She loses a part to Camilla, who in dream is Rita, but even though she his jealous she becomes attracted to her, and they have a lesbian affair.. until Diane finds that she is sleeping with a young director named Adam. The dinner scene towards the end, is where she is introduced to people who play main parts in her dream, Coco, who is Adam's mother, but plays the woman at Betty's apartment and a man in a cowboy hat. Diane is perceived as a nobody, she's consumed by rage and wants Camilla murdered, and gets a hitman. As they meet at a diner she sees a waitress named Betty and she hands him a headshot of Camilla. He hands her a key, telling her that when it is done, the key will be left on her coffee table. She suffers hallucinations, and finally breaks down, eventually killing herself.

The "dream" is basically her envisioning that her and Camilla's relationship hasn't been destroyed and that they're still lovers.

After The Sixth Sense and The Others, I've adopted an "assume everybody is already dead" philosophy for every movie I see. Mullholland Drive is a perfect fit for this philosphy. I believe most of the movie (the first 3/4) is a dream sequence....but it's not the typical dream with REM's, its more like a nightmarish life flashing before one's eyes before they pass (in this case Diana) into oblivion. Hollywood's treatment of death is typically linear, and spirit's/ghost's realm of consciousness are pretty much the same as the world of the living (a la Ghost, the Sixth Sense, etc...any story about a ghost) David Lynch has opted to make Diana's death (dream) much more strange and vague. Diana doesn't realize she's dead, she doesn't even realize who she is, hence the personna of Betty. I think this is one of the great ironies of the film since its Rita who supposedly has amnesia. The story is strange, beautiful and engrossing as Betty and Rita try to solve the mystery of Rita's secret. Diana's death vision culminates at the Theatre d'Silencio...where things are not what they appear to be...alas the final clue. Finally, the box which is opened by the blue key...inside the box ...darkness, blackness, final oblivion.

The final thirty minutes (I believe) describe real life events leading up to Diana's suicide. There are lots of parallels between the life of the living and the preceding death dream (the blue key, the limo ride, etc). I gotta believe the living Diana is either psychotic or delusional based on the bits and pieces we're fed. Maybe that is the reason for her whacked out death dream.

My biggest regret about Mulholland Drive is that I wish Lynch could have started and ended this project as a complete motion picture. The original two hour TV pilot was supposed to be supported by a season of episodes...not 30 minutes of of disjointed scenes that somewhat wrap up all the loose ends. I feel Lynch probably wanted to develop several of the characters and story lines in much greater detail (ie. Cowboy).

Of course this is one man's interpretation about a film that probably isn't supposed to be solved. There are so many details that are up for interpretation that I (nor anyone else) can truly put all the pieces together. Anyways, I spent all of last night lying awake in bed trying to figure it out...this is the best I can make out of it. Tonight I think I'll concentrate only on the lesbian scenes from the movie.

I'M USUALLY PRETTY GOOD AT FIGURING OUT MOVIES, BUT THIS ONE HAS ME COMPLETELY STUMPED. ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE FIRST 2/3 IS BETTY/DIANE'S DREAM SEQUENCE. I'VE READ MANY THREADS IN A FWE DIFFERENT FORUMS ONLY TO BE CONFUSED FURTHER. THERE ARE SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS. WHAT/WHO IS THE CREATURE LIVING BEHIND THE DINER? WHY DOES RITA PUT ON A WIG? WHAT'S WITH THE BLUE BOX AND KEY? THERE ARE SO MANY MORE QUESTIONS I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW... WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE MOVIE IN A CLEAR, LOGICAL WAY SO THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON MAY UNDERSTAND? I WOULD REALLY APRPECIATE IT BECUASE I'M DYING TO KNOW.
THANKS.

A novel adaptation.
Ahhh, a member of the "all caps" school of being annoying. Seriously, I dont mind spelling errors, or even minor grammatical errors. But "Falafel Fart", I think that combined with your username, you have created the most aesthetically offensive post in the history of message boards. Congratulations, you will be promptly shot.

And hopefully, you dont have to be living to weigh spinach either.

Sorry, my lame sister did this. She asked me if she could and I said yes, thinking she'd know how to do the forums. If you look at my other posts, I'm not like that. Sorry. But yes, I was also confused during the movie.

The Fat of the Mailbox
I read somewhere that movies like lost highway mulland drive are not susposed to have a universal plot, but rather you are suspoed to get your own message or interperation (sp?) from the film. Which makes a lot of sense to me, becuase you get nowhere if you try to think of the movie as having a conventional plot.

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally after good reviews and reccomendations i finally saw Mulholland Drive tonight.....and now im very very confused. What in the hell was that about?! I mean, ok, first of all the film starts with an intrigueing plot and the story moves curiosly along, but then SMACK! Right in the middle of it, we enter ga ga land. I didnt know the director, Mr David Lynch was the same man who was responsble for "Twin Peaks". That weird, weird show that used to be on. Now, if i had known that before the film i think i would have thought twice about renting it. I mean i know its meant to be a brainf**k but i just couldnt hardly make sense of the end at all.

SO my plea is, if any of u guys out there have Seen Mulholland Drive, can u please explain it to me?
So was Dianne (black hair) and Betty (Blonde) the same person? What was with the old people who were really small and scary at the end? What was with all the LESBIAN action? I just dont get the significance of it all. If i did im pretty sure i would love it, coz i did enjoy it but was just.....Deepily Confused!

I dont understand why a director makes one of these unique, strange films that no one (apart from Gifted film critics, geniuses and the director) can understand, then releases it to the unknowing public, who the majority are just gonna be wobbling in confusion at the end of it.

A novel adaptation.
If you really pay attention to the plot, and take some time to think about it, it will come to you.
Oh, and all the explanations posted in this forum would help.

Anywho, Lynch uses what he deems "dream logic" so his movies are very confusing. However they can be deciphered just given some time. But his movies, or at least this one, I assure you, have universal themes, while they may be interpreted slightly different, they do have a lot of concrete ideas.

I did a five thousand word interpretation of it directly after I had finished watching it. It may or not be correct. It works in a more scientific version of dream logic; basically I argue that in death all the stimulus from the last little bit of your life flash before your eyes. But yeah. I'm upload my interpretation. If anyone's interested.