Boardwalk Empire

Tools    

I'm now up to ep 5 of Season Three. Not surprised at all that Gyp is a sexual freak. I'm sensing a bit of a thaw between Nucky and Eli....I like it. "You are a convenience of geography and supply." Rothstein has no idea who Gyp Rosetti is or what he's capable of. He can't see anything past his nose. Why are the writers being so protective of Van Alden? Gillian thinks Jimmy is still alive? Seriously? "I can hardly write Come, discuss your vagina." I like that Nucky still considers Margaret and the kids his family. Loved seeing James Cromwell, who I last saw on Succession. Did Nucky buy Billie the part in this show? "I wish somebody had told me all of this when I was 13, I wouldn't have thought I was dying." The Billie/Nucky/Margaret confrontation was brilliantly directed. Loved Chalkie's red suit. That Nucky/Margaret scene was really well written. Van Alden's going to get another free pass? They've got Gilliam looking like a freaking idiot. Never thought I would be using this sentence, but that nun is a b*tch. Talk about collateral damage. Billie is a terrific upgrade from Lucy. I really like her. Nucky's playing with fire trying to take Gyp out.

Still in season three, now up to ep 6. I still think something is going to happen with Margaret and Owen. Why would someone burn down that greenhouse? Loved Margaret's reaction when teddy asked if Owen could live with them. Gillian really doesn't know anything about running a whorehouse. Why does Remus always talk about himself in the third person? It's pretentious and creepy.. All that fuss and court proceeding for a crime with a $5.00 fine. "Miss Randolph, I sympathize your desire to bring purpose to your life, but this courtroom is not the place to do it." There is a remarkable resemblance between Billy Magnussen and Michael Pitt. I think Nucky got to Esther. Would love to see something happen with Richard and that woman. Well, it took three seasons and six episodes to happen but finally.

Season Three, Ep 7. I like that the Thompson brothers are spending Easter with their families. Gillian clearly hasn't told Roger about Jimmy yet. It's nice seeing Richard taking care of Tommy. I love Eli's wife. Her speech at the dinner table was so sweet. "I better get back in there...with a chair and a whip." Holidays look like fun at the Rosetti house...imagine what Christmas is like? I liked Margaret pouring her heart out to Eli's wife. It seems like both of these women could use a friend. I knew Tommy sneaking into that room was going to lead to trouble. I loved that the woman agreed to leave the house with Richard. Steve Buscemi can juggle! There's something seriously wrong with Gyp Rosetti...did he actually punch a priest? Why the hell did Gillian do that to Roger?

Season Three Ep 8. Is Gillian seriously going to get away with this? Richard doesn't really think that's Jimmy, does he? Wow, this has to be tearing Van Alden up inside, but he deserves it. I think Nucky getting Emily a pony is sweet. I'm slow, but I just figured out why Gillian did what she did to Roger. So Gillian wasn't the only one who thought James was still alive. "You exist in this town because I allow you to. I feel terrible for Mrs. Shearer and I love the actress playing her. :I run naked through the pages of the United States Criminal Code." Owen seems to be cuing the return of sweet Margaret. LOVBED Billie's audition scene, she nailed it. That scene with Buscemi and James Cromwell was very well written. I h ad a feeling Van Alden wasn't going to put with selling irons much longer. Nucky was a little over the top with Gil, that wasn't necessary. I hope Nucky is figuring out that Billie isn't another Lucy. "I just want you to be my gangster." First season Van Alden was chasing bootleggers and now he is one. Is Nucky losing his hearing?

Season Three, Ep 9. Wow, Nucky has a brain injury, I thought he was just losing his hearing. Nucky is really messed up. Bobby Cannavale was chilling in that scene with the sheriff. Can't believe Nucky confused Chalkie with a shoeshine boy. Why is Teddy ansering Nucky's phone? Gyp seems to be taking control of the boardwalk without Nucky knowing it. Buscemi was brilliant in the birthday party scene. Loving this possible romance for Richard, long overdue. Don't believe what those whores did to Tommy. "I'll wear that f*cking dago's guts like a necktie." Richard is quite a demon on the dance floor. Can't tell if Nucky is unaware of what's wrong with him or if he's just in denial about it. HATE that they killed Billie. Do not believe Gillian chastising Richard about what happened with Tommy. The boy shouldn't be living in a whorehouse. Buscemi's work in this episode was Emmy-worthy, how this guy never won an Emmy for this show is a mystery to me. What was with Gyp and the pirate hat?

OK, we're up to ep 10 of Season Three and the two characters I predicted would be dead before the season was out are still alive. The swimmers finding the booze bottles as in the opening credits was hysterical. Four for twenty...Van Alden's learning how to be a real drug dealer. Katie doesn't really think Owen is going to marry her, does she? OK, did he just propose to Katie and then tell Margaret they're leaving town forever. I guess Nucky's brain isn't scrambled eggs anymore. Rothstein mihgt get more efficiency from his flying monkeys if he stopped talking above them. Means is making Harry Dougherty look like an idiot. I think that nun was behind Margaret's classes being cancelled. Richard is fantastic...if there's one guy I want to survive all of this, it's him. "I ain't gotta spell 'em just pay for 'em." That scene with Al Capone and Van Alden was great. A suicide? Seriously? Nucky only wants a new life with Margaret because Billie is gone. Gyp is certifiably insane, there's no other explanation for the way he acts. I guess there are consequences for toying with the affections of two different women. I knew Margaret was pregnant.

Can't believe I'm almost at the end of Season four already. Here' Ep 11. How did Nucky find out about Margaret and Owen so quickly? Gyp is not playing. "I want him in front of me...on his knees or on a slab." These guy don't give a damn about collateral damage. The ego on that Gillian, my God. That girl really needs to get over herself. Have to admit I love seeing Nucky need Chalkie. I feel terrible for Sammy, Chalkie has put him in a terrible position. when are Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky going to shoot each other in the face? "What if slip $25000 grand in your pocket now, you let me walk in there and drag Nucky Thompson out by his dick?" The Gyp/Chalkie encounter was excellent. OK, I'm over Gillian she has got to go. I bet Nucky never saw himself in this deep. Does Nucky really think he has enough juice to get Atlantic City back? Capone to the rescue.

Can't believe it...the Season Three finale. Very effective opening scene, making the mayor look like an idiot. That was great when the reporters laughed at the mayor. Gyps boss is not going to rest until Nucky's dead. Why is Tommy under lock and key with a guard at his door? Was Lucky protecting Meyer or somebody else? Bobby Cannavle was chilling in that scene with Gillian, She needs to give Gyp what he wants before he takes it. Is Margaret aborting that baby? OK, this Masseria guy is really mucking up the works. "And when I'm done, there won't be n othing left nut a wet spot and a hunk of hair." Did Gillian really think she was going to get that off? Go Richard, go Richard, go Richard....Would have liked to have known what was in that needle. Well, season four can have a fresh start now. Unfortunately, Margaret doesn't realize that's about all the sincerity she will ever get from Nucky. Well, the two characters I [redicted would be dead by the end of this season are stil alive. Still habve two more seasons and Bobby Cannavle's work in this episode was an Emmy reel.

OK, we're up to ep 10 of Season Three and the two characters I predicted would be dead before the season was out are still alive. The swimmers finding the booze bottles as in the opening credits was hysterical. Four for twenty...Van Alden's learning how to be a real drug dealer. Katie doesn't really think Owen is going to marry her, does she? OK, did he just propose to Katie and then tell Margaret they're leaving town forever. I guess Nucky's brain isn't scrambled eggs anymore. Rothstein mihgt get more efficiency from his flying monkeys if he stopped talking above them. Means is making Harry Dougherty look like an idiot. I think that nun was behind Margaret's classes being cancelled. Richard is fantastic...if there's one guy I want to survive all of this, it's him. "I ain't gotta spell 'em just pay for 'em." That scene with Al Capone and Van Alden was great. A suicide? Seriously? Nucky only wants a new life with Margaret because Billie is gone. Gyp is certifiably insane, there's no other explanation for the way he acts. I guess there are consequences for toying with the affections of two different women. I knew Margaret was pregnant.
The Owen reveal had me like "WTF!" I really didn't see it coming

And we're off! The Season Four opener! It's really time for a couple of characters to get what's coming to them. I see Richard is still taking care of business. Thoset ap dancers were outstanding. Glad to see Eddie back on his feet and being treated like crap by Nucky again. :What was brought to doorstep was returned." Masseria is a big dumb ape, I'm so over him. I have to wonder how Eli's wife feels about him bringing their son into his business. There seem to be a few too many new characters being introduced making things a little confusing. I loved the way Eli's family all stood up when Nucky had to leave. "I know...I went to college for a year...that's where I picked up all my bad habits." Enjoyed seeing Capone with his family. I knew Dickie wanted to watch. Dunn may have messed up his job with Chalkie. I see Ron Livingston has joined the show. I think I like Nucky's new girl, not as much as Billie though. I don't believe how stupid that girl was with Nuckie. The final scene made up for the rest of a rather confusing season opener.

Yeah, I really liked Owen. This show loves to kill off all the characters I really like.
Yeah, but then there are a couple that I would say overstay their welcome, and you can pretty much feel the writers are jumping through hoops to find reasons to keep them in the story. It happens at least with 2, maybe 3, key characters for me.

Season four, episode 2. I noticed Dennis Lehane, who wrote Mystic River is billed as a Consulting Producer on this episode, whatever that means. "Better not to vow than vow and jot pay. We got a really nice piece of backstory for Richard. Eddie is being kind of annoying, being in denial about not being 100% yet. I'm glad Samuel got through that ordeal with Nucky and Eddie OK, I was worried about him. Loved what Eddie said to the Mayor. I didn't remember that Van Alden's wife knows who he really is. Loved Chalkie's suit. OMG., Jeffrey Wright! I love Jeffrey Wright! Where were Eddie's shakes in the second scene with Nucky? All the killing Richard's done but he couldn't kill that dog. What was the point of what Capone did at that speech? "Only Kings understand each other." Dickie's widow's timing coming back at the end of that meeting was impeccable. So a young J Edgar Hoover has come into it now? Peter MacRobbie was excellent in that one scene. I knew there were going to be more consequences for Dunn. That woman got what was coming to her. Glad that Eddie is being taken more seriously, he's earned it.

Gillian, Mickey Doyle, and Messeria
I'll save my thoughts on Gillian's arc for later, but yeah, she's one of the most detestable characters.

Mickey Doyle was an interesting charactter. A bit of a comic relief, but I liked the performance and it gave the character a bit more flair than maybe other actor would've given it.

I didn't care about Masseria one way or the other.

Season Four, Ep 3. Loved Nucky's reply to the remark that someone was excited to meet him. "The new Negro must be taught in thought and culture." Jeffrey Wright is crushing it as Dr. Narcisse. Loved that Richard offered to pay those back taxes. Why does Nucky want to get involved with this Skeeter guy, he is so greasy. "Wet is why we're going." I'm surprised Dunn still has a job. "Don't let the door hit you in the brains." Pretty sire Mickey letting Eli's son take that booze is going to bite him in the ass later. I wondered how long it would take to watch Emily handle that firearm. OMG, Oscar winner Patricia Arquette! "I've already met the midget on the midway back home." So Ron Livingston's character doesn't know about Gillian's history. His scenes in this episode made me realize I don't give a damn about Eli's son. "Anyone who says money doesn't buy happiness, doesn't know where to shop." Jeffrey Wright was bone chilling in that scene with Dunn.

OK, ep4 of Season 4. well, the FBI is definitely in the picture now. "I'll find the weakest link in Thompson's neck and I'll break it. Thompson and Rothstein working together has disaster written all over it. Chalkie is long overdue for some recreation, but I think getting involved with Miss Maitland, will have him answering to Dr. Narcisse. A parting of the ways is definitely down the pike for Chalkie and Dunn. Was Dunn actually trying to strongarm Dr. Narcisse? Love how Al Capone refuses to let Van Alden go home. Love where the Thompson brothers are right now...they seem to have come to terms about a lot of stuff. How do you make your own milk of magnesia? I like that Eddie and Capone are getting to know each other. Van Alden is working very hard trying to keep his hands clean but is having a hard time with it. I loved Michael Shannon's take on the like "I do have a sense of humor." I think killing is an adrenaline rush for Al Capone, the fact that he was high didn't hurt either. I don't believe Meyer said that to Rothstein. It's nice to see something not go Rothstein's way for a change. "If the money doesn't show, this conversation never happened and will never happen again." Didn't see Meyer's display of power coming at all. First time we've seen that kind of behavior from him. Eddie would never betray Nucky.

And we're up to ep 5 of Season Four. Really don't like the way the FBI was playing around with Eddie without formally arresting him. Willie really needs to be truthful with Nucky if he wants him to help. Gillian is becoming a total junkie. The only thing scarier than Al Capone is Al Capone on drugs. Willie is going to destroy all the good will that has been rebuilt between Mucky and Eli. Gillian just doesn't have a clue. What he's doing is eating Van Alden up inside but he can't stop either. I don't care what Nucky says, Eli will find out about what Willie did at some point. Even Tommy is starting to see what kind of woman his grandmother is. "You can't just bleach me out like a laundry stain." "The rage you feel, listen to me carefully, it's a gift, use it but don't let anyone see it." Buscemi nailed that monologue to Willie. Can't believe Van Alden even contemplated shooting Al Capone, right in front of his brother. Frank Capone's death reminded me of Sonny Corleone's death in The Godfather. Gillian is playing Wilkins like a fiddle. I'm so disappointed in Eddie. I love how complex the relationship between Capone and Van Alden has become. Al is going to go stark raving mad now. Can't believe Eddie thought he had no other option.