David Soul RIP

Tools    

Just saw Whit Bissell's post and thought I would bring it over here that David Soul, best known for his roles on the ABC series Here Comes the Brides and Starsky and Hutch passed away yesterday, he was 80. RIP

Requiescant in pace...

This wasn't David Soul's character in Star Trek : S2 Ep5: The Apple. This is Keith Andes as Akuta. Soul played Makora.

This wasn't David Soul's character in Star Trek : S2 Ep5: The Apple. This is Keith Andes as Akuta. Soul played Makora.

Yeah, I was going to say he looked a bit too old in that pic. Good catch.

RIP Mr. Soul. It's weird because a few days ago I watched the pilot episode of Here Comes the Brides. The safest thing you can say about it is that it was a product of it's times.

But the role I really liked Soul in was In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders. It's based on true events and he and Michael Gross play two ex-Ranger bank and armored car robbers. Who also happen to be psychotic killers. The final confrontation is a tour de force rivaling the big shootout in Heat.

Another coincidence. It was just about 2 days ago this episode was on ST-TOS (airing on a network called H&I which stands for "Heroes and Icons"). I stopped on it and brought up the info about the episode and it said "Guest Starring David Soul".

So I was thinking about him the day before he died. But I also was confused because I didn't think the lead alien was him either. I guess they put his name in the info because his was the biggest (most recognizable) name of one of the guest stars for that episode. Or, in reality, he went on to become a recognizable name long after that episode.

In Darth Pazuzu's defense some of the Google results have that actor listed as Soul.

And when I still had cable H&I was one of my go-tos. They ran ST:TOS, ST:TNG, ST: DS9, ST:Voyager and ST:Enterprise consecutively. I'm sure they still do of course.

I use to love Starsky and Hutch when I was a teen. Watched that show every week. I even had a Ford Torino and drove it as crazy as Starsky did. I can't say I seen David Soul in too much else but count me as someone who at one time thought David Soul was the guy with the 'ears' on Star Trek The Apple. It wasn't until much latter I figured out that didn't sound like David Soul. Soul was the local planet inhabitant with the cute friend.

Yeah, I liked Soul a lot. Never missed Starsky and Hutch in its day. I wasn't too happy they did a comedy movie about it, but I actually ended up liking it, especially when Soul and Paul Michael Glaser cameoed at the end. I thought that was cool of them.

I thought Soul was great in Salem's Lot. He portrayed fear pretty convincingly IMO and was a good leading man for that film. Had a good, if smallish, supporting role in Magnum Force. Saw him in quite a few TV show guest-appearances, the one that really stands out for me being his shot on All in the Family as a friend of Gloria and Mike who paints Gloria in the nude. He had a really funky hairdo in that one!

Of course I can't stop without mentioning his hit song, "Don't Give Up On Us Baby." Pretty decent singing on that, although I never heard anything else by him. Godspeed, David.

Of course I can't stop without mentioning his hit song, "Don't Give Up On Us Baby." Pretty decent singing on that, although I never heard anything else by him. Godspeed, David.
Then allow me to introduce you to this classic.

Between his music, Starsky & Hutch and Salem's Lot, David played quite a role in my early childhood. R.I.P. David.