The English

Tools    

Just began the premiere installment of this 2022 Amazon Prime/BBC mini-series that seems that takes place in Kansas during the 1890's and is setting up a relationship between a young woman (Emily Blunt) who, according to her narration, is looking for her son's killer and a young Indian (Chaske Spencer) whose pursuit of the life of a white man almost got him lynched. Upon her arrival at a hotel in the middle of nowhere, this woman is revealed to have a carpetbag full of cash, a bit of which she uses to secure this Indian Eli's freedom. This Indian is being treated like a runaway slave. Loving the always watchable Toby Jones as the stagecoach driver. That dinner scene between Cornelia (Blunt) and that fat greasy guy crackled with tension. I can't tell if he knows who killed her son or not and I'm sure that's no accident. I should have expected Eli's return to Cornelia. The sounds of a man underwater grasping to breathe are really unsettling. So he didn't come back for Cornelia. "The difference between what you need and want you want is what you can fit on a horse." Didn't see the discussion about astrology coming. That final shot of them literally riding off into the sunset was breathtaking. And might I say that Emily Blunt was wearing the hell out of that red dress.

Was that cricket those guys were playing at the opening part 2? Didn't see the relevance of the first scene to anything in part 1, but maybe a connection is coming later. That arrow went all the way through that guy and came out the other side? Really? I chuckled at the thought that Eli didn't know who Pocahontas was. Loved the slo mo of the Indian dying. I love the sound of an arrow entering human flesh...it hasn't been done this effectively since The Revenant. I would think that child would impede Cornelia on her mission. Nice to see Cornelia crack a smile. That Indian woman looked like the actress who played Winona on Seinfeld. Cornelia is clearly being distracted in her mission. After what we've seen up to this point, why are Eli and Cornelia separating?

Brutal opening to ep 3, what was that about? Not really seeing yet what this cattle rustling story has to do with the primary story, but this Martha Meyer is a real pistol. I'm getting a sense that bigotry is a real undercurrent to what I've seen so far. "Don't bother to send anyone after...the vultures in Kansas leave no trace." Did I miss an explanation as to why Lady Cornelia is traveling with so much cash? Loved the carvings on those gravestones...very authentic looking. Once again, there is some breathtaking cinematography employed here. Blunt was brilliant in that last scene with Gary Farmer. "Kills on Water"- best character name ever.

OK, I'm already a little confused about what's happening and ep 4 actually flashbacks 15 years? Do we really need to go back 15 more years from where this story actually began? "Not just killed...cut him up,,,like stripped beef." "I'm gonna cut his eyeballs out...sit 'em on a rock so he can watch himself die." Can't believe Blunt's character didn't appear until 31 minutes into the episode. Did David Melmont seriously take credit for inventing the gun? That piano hadn't been tuned in decades...was that intentional? as an actor, Rafe Spall is definitely his father's son. This guy is really good.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Can’t remember when we watched this, but we loved it. Great characters with a sense of supernatural right behind the curtain. The experience reminded me of s1 of True Detective.

Was that cricket those guys were playing at the opening part 2?
They sure were.

Loved Emily Blunt in this show.

Very good mini-series altogether.

I'm hoping the last two parts tie things up pretty quickly because I've watched the first four parts and I'm still pretty confused, but Emily Blunt makes me keep watching.

Didn't really notice until the opening of ep 5 but poor Eli is getting the most resistance and the least assistance from his own people, who seem to be crushing his dreams at every opportunity. The complete reveal of Black Eyed Mog's face made me jump out of my chair. The makeup team should have won an Emmy for that. This was the first episode where Eli referred to Cornelia by her name. So glad they're back in this together, whatever this is. Martha Meyers is not exactly a grieving widow. though I haven't figured out her part in Cornelia's story yet. This miniseries has definitely offered me more shots of dead animal carcass than I care to see. Loved Cornelia and Eli under the stars...saying everything except for what they're feeling. Finally! They sure made us wait for that first kiss. That scene where she buried herself in the dirt...what was that about? So this sexist ignorant bigot is the one responsible for Corneilia's son's death? Eli is the freakin' man.

Didn't really notice until the opening of ep 5 but poor Eli is getting the most resistance and the least assistance from his own people, who seem to be crushing his dreams at every opportunity. The complete reveal of Black Eyed Mog's face made me jump out of my chair. The makeup team should have won an Emmy for that. This was the first episode where Eli referred to Cornelia by her name. So glad they're back in this together, whatever this is. Martha Meyers is not exactly a grieving widow. though I haven't figured out her part in Cornelia's story yet. This miniseries has definitely offered me more shots of dead animal carcass than I care to see. Loved Cornelia and Eli under the stars...saying everything except for what they're feeling. Finally! They sure made us wait for that first kiss. That scene where she buried herself in the dirt...what was that about? So this sexist ignorant bigot is the one responsible for Corneilia's son's death? Eli is the freakin' man.
Ha, ha. I was waiting for you to see Black Eyed Mog’s face.

This final episode is going to have to do some pretty fancy storytelling to tie this all up for me. It looks like Cornelia's collapse at the end of ep 5 was something other than a gunshot. I am not going to be happy if Cornelia dies before completing her mission. To be honest I found this mini-series confusing and hard to follow but the extraordinary production vales and the Emmy worthy performances of Emily Blunt and Chaske Spencer mae it worth my time.

I don't particularly like Emily Blunt, so I haven't seen this. I think the only thing she was in that I really enjoyed was "Edge of Tomorrow" with Tom Cruise, but that was more due to the innovative storytelling than her performance, I think.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Chaske Spencer and Rafe Spall are worth the price of admission.

I don't particularly like Emily Blunt, so I haven't seen this. I think the only thing she was in that I really enjoyed was "Edge of Tomorrow" with Tom Cruise, but that was more due to the innovative storytelling than her performance, I think.
I wasn’t a huge fan before, but this is one of the best things she’s done.