How old is 'old'?

Tools    

What do you class as an old movie? Browsing my friend's forums I noticed this fine post:

'I saw "The Girl Next Door"....maybe an old movie (2004 I think) but a great comedy. Elisha Cuthbert is soo beatiful ...'

Interesting... I think I'd call a movie 'old' if it's over 40, certainly I doubt any of you share that young rapscallion's views, but I thought it'd be interesting to see.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Gosh, 2004 is an old movie?? I'd certainly say a bare minimum is that the year can't start with a "2"!

Before I was born ... and that's a morphing definition then, of course.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by adidasss
anything over 15 years i'd say...
Definitely not! I'm gonna go with the "before I was born" rule thats been proposed!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I am with the people above me, before i was born, now that isssssss old

You mean like how an awesome film like Dirty Harry will never get old but a dreadful pile of ****e like Eternal Sunshine is old after 30 seconds?

I suppose I would define 'old' for a film older the 20 years.
and for films of an age of 15-20 years as well worn, rather then old.
You could define a film as 'old' as some people have, by it being made before your born but not everyone is the same age.
Nor of the same opinion.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
An old movie is a movie that's old enough to be remade.
So most Asian films are old within 6 months?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind can be called old since it was made before Mission Impossible 3. I've gone to cinema and not seen a film there because it's been on release a while and is old compared to a new release. See where i'm going?

Anything that has no sound or was made in black and white......and I am not counting black and white movies that were made that way when color was available. Not saying that anything else is not old, but these are definitely old. Least I think so.

Ignoring my previous post i think the shorts by the Lumieres and Mellies etc are old. Griffith is about the beginning of not being old. Considering film's only been around for a 100 years it's all quite new, kinda.

Originally Posted by Alvin
So most Asian films are old within 6 months?
No because most Asian films aren't old enough to be remade in the first place. I never said films that get remade are old, I said a movie is old when it's old enough to be remade.

So you did, I best eat my hat.

I'm sure she really meant anything before 1966.