Burzynski
10.00%
1 votes
Howard Zinn
0%
0 votes
American Drug War
10 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Hokay, school is out which means I have time to organize this little diddy. I'm going to take advantage of the "political" audience on the site in order to get more than three pages of discussion (plus the primaries and election are next year), so January will be documentary month. First up:

Inside Job (2010)

In short, about the financial crisis of the past decade, summarizing Charles Ferguson's view of systematic corruption and its consequences. Most of the reception grants it a well-argued film, and since there's sprinkles of humor throughout it's bearable for anyone not involved in the topic.

Collapse (2009)

A film exploring the ideas of Michael Ruppert, author, ex-policeman, and journalist, who is obsessed with the collapse of the industrial civilization leading to his own personal collapse. Ebert calls it a most frightening thriller.

Burzynski (2009)

A doctor goes up against the FDA for his work in cancer treatment, and for anyone who knows the FDA, they won't be having it. Pretty unreal, think Sicko but without Michael Moore.

Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral (2004)

Author of The People's History of the United States (great book), the film gives the audience a first-hand look at the country's place in history concerning wars, unions, activism, etc. Ron Paul fans will approve.

American Drug War: The Last White Hope (2007)

I was recommended this from Bill Hicks' documentary, and it's basically like The Union but harder-hitting.

Semper Fooey
Documentaries...uhhh!

I feel ashamed to say I have seen none of these so I look forward to what ever gets chosen.

Semper Fooey
Even discussions with so-so participation get more votes than this. I 'spect it's the holidays.
It is because it is documentaries.

Collapse looks interesting as hell. Inside Man will probably devolve into purely political discussion, which is fine, because it's not like the film has some great artistic value outside of its polemic.

Yeah, that's pretty much my exact thinking as well. Inside Man will just become a political discussion, and probably identical to ones we've already had ("had" being defined very loosely).

I vote Collapse. Fewer of us have seen it, I expect, and it's way more likely to lead to interesting (or at least marginally productive) discussion. But I'm on board either way.