My Favorite PRESIDENT Is Having A Good Time

Tools    

I think that's reading a lot into it. Still photographs catch people making faces all the time that have little to do with their general mood, and even if we decided that she was angry, or irritated, I see no reason to assume it was because of that, specifically. She might have just had a serious face because it was a serious occasion. Which makes sense, given that the whole issue here is how unserious it is to take a picture of oneself grinning at a memorial service.

Look at the sequence of stills and you will see that Michelle switched seats with Barak to keep him away from the blonde that was sitting next to him and that he took photos with, while Michelle looked away with a frown on her face.

Do you know exactly how long the duration between pictures is, or even have any way of knowing what order they were taken in? They're from different angles, so they've been assembled together by someone. There are just an incredible number of assumptions going into this.

Let's stick to what we actually know: the President exhibited very poor taste. The rest is conjecture.

Let's stick to what we actually know: the President exhibited very poor taste. The rest is conjecture.
Thanks for so aptly finding the word I was looking for to describe the Obama mistique: Conjecture!

This for me is a non-story, as much as you guys hate Barack Obama and as much as I hate David Cameron, I find nothing wrong with what they did and can't see what all the fuss is about. It's not a funeral as it is reported in most places, it was a memorial, a celebration of Mandela's life, a man who brought people together and will be remembered by many for the right reasons, nothing wrong for them enjoying themselves and taking a photo together.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
It's most definitely a non-story, and another one of those things where people seem to get their timelines mixed up. People don't hate Obama because of things like this, they hate this because they hate Obama.

I have read rumors that Michelle Obama is jealous of Oprah Winfrey and how much attention she received from Barack Obama, so it is totally possible to me that Michelle Obama might be a jealous woman. Cinemafficionado could be onto something. It could be nothing, but yet it could also be there. Sometimes reading into something is right, not wrong. But I don't really care much about it, anyway.

Or the converse is true: it's no big deal to people who already like the guy. I assume just as many people are flipping their causality that way, too.

Look, I don't think this is a big deal, which is why I didn't start a thread about it. But we should be able to agree that this is a little on the tasteless side. Particularly if you've been following the White House's general PR strategy, which has a bit of a track record of using other great people's deaths as an occasion to talk about the President, rather than the people they're supposed to be honoring. I dunno how much of it you've noticed, but some of it defies parody. So there's a cumulative aspect to this that I'm not sure everyone appreciates.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Or the converse is true: it's no big deal to people who already like the guy. I assume just as many people are flipping their causality that way, too.
Maybe and rather than or

I'm not even sure what the news story is about. Michelle Obama is jealous?

Of course this is a non-story, however, when world leaders attending anything do anything it can/does become a story. Do I care? No. Was it 'wrong'? No. Was it tasteless? That's up to each individual to decide, personally I don't think so. Was the President of the United States, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and the Prime Minister of Denmark taking a selfie going to be a story? Yes. And it would've been regardless of where they were. They're aware of that, as Obama was when he shook Raul Castro's hand or when the South African people booed President Zuma.

BTW, the Prime Minister of Denmark is Neil Kinnock's daughter-in-law. I didn't know that until yesterday.

I really don't get the point of this thread. At all. It seems like the usual case of making a mountain out of a molehill.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I'm not even sure what the news story is about. Michelle Obama is jealous?
No secret that I'm no big fan of the current " first " family.
I think that they are a mockery and their public conduct is often not impressively presidential. I don't care what they are like in private, but they should be held to s higher standard in public.
Most would consider having a good time at solemn occassions inappropriate.
And yes, Michelle was cerainly not holding back signs of discomfort. and to me, at least, it appeared that she was unhappy with the fact that her huband was openly paying more attention to another women.