The Best Country on Earth

Tools    

Originally Posted by Krackalackin
I find this a dumb question because you never illustrated in what perspective you meant by "The Greatest Country In The World" so how could you even hope to get an answer that can actually to a bracket of people, be a valid claim.

Ofcourse, However, if you mean what country has the largest collection of things that can and are argued as great or the greatest, the answer, encompassing all perspectives of Geography and Society would have to ofcourse be The United States (Still. It's not as Great as it used to be even though many people think it is). It has every climate, three large coasts, more famous cities than any other country (Except maybe a few, Italy) is the most powerful country by far, has the strongest economy, and has been the one entity that has given the single most influence in shaping modern history itself. The One thing we don't have however is ancient war hero's. There has never been a country in the category the United States is in in all history (except maybe egypt).Unfortunately our traditions, values and culture is declining rapidly so your guess is as good as mine how long we'll be there. By the time I die, it might be China.
i'm sorry, i forgot to comment on this rediculous post....pick any old country from europe and it will have "a larger collection of things that are great". arguing that size makes a country great is obviously bull, otherwise Canada and Russia would be greater countries than america ( and russia actually is, at least as far as the overall contribution in culture and the diversity of natural beauties )..more famous cities than any other country? aaahahahha...please man, don't make me laugh, what makes a city famous? being mentioned in some american tv or film product? yeah man, i'm sure those people in africa, china and india know where boston and philladephia are....hats down to your country, but new york is the only city worth mentioning in a broader perspective...all other cities are generic, indisinguishable new world cities....uncomparable to old world cities...
also , being the most powerful country in the world ( read: being a bully ) doesn't neccessarily mean it's the best country to live in...i know as far as i'm concerned, the us is no longer a desirable destination...

Originally Posted by Sleezy
New Zealand, and this is why:

Wow. You guys don't even have houses to live in. Where do you go poop at?

I vote for the U.S. of A..
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
Wow. You guys don't even have houses to live in. Where do you go poop at?
heh!

I vote for the U.S. of A..
Why, though?

In the Beginning...
Wow. You guys don't even have houses to live in.
I don't actually live in New Zealand, regrettably - I live in the "U.S. of A.," as you put it. I rather think the problem with the States is that there are too many houses. I don't care for man-made landscapes, and scores of people living right outside my home for miles make me anxious. There's nothing like sprawling countryside, and in that respect, I really believe New Zealand is the most beautiful place on planet Earth.

Where do you go poop at?
Dude. All you need is a shovel and a roll of bio-degradable toilet paper. Nature takes care of the rest.

(Although, I guess I've got America to thank for both of those very essential tools, without which making boom in the woods would be a loathsome task indeed.)

Reason's to visit London....

Friendly People

Fine food

Friendly pub's

Plenty of places to go shopping

You can go for a swim.......

......Or a night at the pictures (This place is just up the road from my old house!!)

Good public amenaties

Excellent Hospital's

Fine art galleries

Fine houses (above pics are the same house 1993 & 2003)

Fine public transport

but this is the only real reason to visit London

Just a girl who loves movies
From what I saw ..Germany. Absolutely loved it

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I don't actually live in New Zealand, regrettably - I live in the "U.S. of A.," as you put it. I rather think the problem with the States is that there are too many houses. I don't care for man-made landscapes, and scores of people living right outside my home for miles make me anxious. There's nothing like sprawling countryside, and in that respect, I really believe New Zealand is the most beautiful place on planet Earth.

Dude. All you need is a shovel and a roll of bio-degradable toilet paper. Nature takes care of the rest.

(Although, I guess I've got America to thank for both of those very essential tools, without which making boom in the woods would be a loathsome task indeed.)
I've poo'd in the woods before. I had to lean against a tree. It was pretty uncomfortable. Next time I'm going to use the buddy system. I'm sure most countries have their open landscapes. As in regards to that it's unfortunate that here, in the U.S. of A., when we protect something we generally cut it off from everyone. I wish I was an Indian back in the day. Except for the poo deal. I guess it comes with the territory.

In the Beginning...
I've poo'd in the woods before. I had to lean against a tree. It was pretty uncomfortable. Next time I'm going to use the buddy system.
You mean you'd rather lean up against your buddy while you're crapping in the woods? And he wouldn't have a problem with this?

I'm sure most countries have their open landscapes. As in regards to that it's unfortunate that here, in the U.S. of A., when we protect something we generally cut it off from everyone.
I rather think it's unfortunate that, in this country, when we look at a beautiful piece of woodland these days, we only see the housing subdivision we're going to build there. Of course, that's not true of everyone, but it's most certainly a great deal true for those who are in the position of deciding whether a forest stays or goes. Otherwise, we wouldn't have to protect our land so fiercely.

It's Canada becuas eour country is clean, has good air, is beuatiful and even though we do not have the economy of America we are still better then they could ever dream to be.

Othelosville, the country of one.

Anyone want to join me?
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Originally Posted by Diablostarz
It's Canada becuas eour country is clean, has good air, is beuatiful and even though we do not have the economy of America we are still better then they could ever dream to be.
Yeah, spelling is overrated too.

Originally Posted by Othelo
Othelosville, the country of one.

Anyone want to join me?
Count me in!

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Count me in!
Cool.

Its a sensuous little island with lots of trees and flowers, some mountains and lots of room to play. There are peaks and valleys and although life here isn't always easy it is a fun place to live. We work hard, play harder and we have the most extensive collection of movies and books on the planet. We are a creative bunch who are as diverse as we are passionate. And there are several "clothing optional" areas of the island, but you will have to find them yourself because they aren't listed on any map.

Copyright 2006 Othelosville board of tourism.

I spent 7 months living in New Zealand, and while many people may not consider this enough time to get a real understanding of a place and culture, i am confident that i was immersed enough to make the proper comparisons. I will say that New Zealand has some of the most beautiful land i have ever seen. The people are laid back, welcoming, and have a great sense of humor. Life isnt taken to seriously over there.

Having said all that, i still have to say that the United States is the greatest county, today, and probably of all time. Here's why:
  • Geography
The United States is huge. It spans such a large amount of land, and within this land you can find just about any geological formation you wish. I've seen sights in the Rocky Mountains so beautiful they've brought me to tears. I've wandered the redwood forests of California, ridden horse trails in Montana, sipped Whiskey Sours under huge cotton trees in the south, gawked at the colors and magnificence of the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley. Rivers, Mountains, Deserts, cities, forests, lakes, whatever you wish is there; and without the vicious sandflies of southern New Zealand.
  • Culture
There is the old saying that America is a melting pot. Quite cliche, if you ask me, but perhaps there is no truer statement about this country. Since the country's creation people have came from every corner of the earth to build a home, hang their hat, and yes, the old cliche of finding a better life for themselves. Here is the beauty part: because of the way out country was created, these immigrants didnt have to conform to anything. They could bring their cultures with them, and those cultures themselves could find a place to settle down and flourish. Sure there were difficulties, but slowly the majority of the country has come to accept it.Today, i can walk the streets of New York and hear 3 languages in a single city block. I can wait patiently to get a hot dog from a Muslim vendor who is taking a few minutes off to pray. I can choose to ignore the christian fundamentalist preaching on the corner. I can go see a french movie at an art theater. Has anyone ever been to a 4th of July parade? Bikers, Lesbians, Gays, Shriners, Democrats, Republicans, Green Party, environmentalists, protestors, veterans, students, war re-enactors- people of every flavor. We live in a quicksand of culture, where everything that is introduced is immediatley absorbed and given its proper place. I may not agree with a lot of it, but as a real American it would be hypocritical of me to denounce any of it. As long as it isnt hurting anyone, i belive it belongs here, in this great country.
It is true that i havnt explored every corner of the earth, but when i do, i doubt that i will ever find such an amazing collection of culture.

A few more bullet points to come, perhaps...

It is true that our administration hasnt exactly pleased me over the last several years. They have made decisions which have brought me sick to my stomach- but that doesnt mean im about to turn against my country. And everyone can criticize me all they want, saying how evil it is to love america nowadays- but it wont change anything. Because at its core, America isnt war. America isnt inperialism or facism or a dictatorship, America isnt hypocritical, America isnt torturing, America isnt rude or insensitive or ignorant. America is, at its best, the point at which all other earthly points collide- this is to say that it is, in a sense, the lexicon of what it is to be human, to be an earthling. These evil things everyone is saying about America, they only exist because of the nature of this quicksand- that letting the good in will also let in the bad- that with light comes darkness- and these evil things are the result of evil people, people who could exist in any country at any period in time, but chose to exploit America as an outlet for their evil because of the way we are built.

[/rant]

well....what else was i going to write during lecture?

rhymes with Goebbels
Originally Posted by diamondgeeza
Reason's to visit London....

Friendly People

Fine food

Friendly pub's

Plenty of places to go shopping

You can go for a swim.......

......Or a night at the pictures (This place is just up the road from my old house!!)

Good public amenaties

Excellent Hospital's

Fine art galleries

Fine houses (above pics are the same house 1993 & 2003)

Fine public transport

but this is the only real reason to visit London
Haha,

rhymes with Goebbels
Originally Posted by Zeiken
I spent 7 months living in New Zealand, and while many people may not consider this enough time to get a real understanding of a place and culture, i am confident that i was immersed enough to make the proper comparisons. I will say that New Zealand has some of the most beautiful land i have ever seen. The people are laid back, welcoming, and have a great sense of humor. Life isnt taken to seriously over there.

Having said all that, i still have to say that the United States is the greatest county, today, and probably of all time. Here's why:

• Geography
The United States is huge. It spans such a large amount of land, and within this land you can find just about any geological formation you wish. I've seen sights in the Rocky Mountains so beautiful they've brought me to tears. I've wandered the redwood forests of California, ridden horse trails in Montana, sipped Whiskey Sours under huge cotton trees in the south, gawked at the colors and magnificence of the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley. Rivers, Mountains, Deserts, cities, forests, lakes, whatever you wish is there; and without the vicious sandflies of southern New Zealand.
  • Culture
There is the old saying that America is a melting pot. Quite cliche, if you ask me, but perhaps there is no truer statement about this country. Since the country's creation people have came from every corner of the earth to build a home, hang their hat, and yes, the old cliche of finding a better life for themselves. Here is the beauty part: because of the way out country was created, these immigrants didnt have to conform to anything. They could bring their cultures with them, and those cultures themselves could find a place to settle down and flourish. Sure there were difficulties, but slowly the majority of the country has come to accept it.Today, i can walk the streets of New York and hear 3 languages in a single city block. I can wait patiently to get a hot dog from a Muslim vendor who is taking a few minutes off to pray. I can choose to ignore the christian fundamentalist preaching on the corner. I can go see a french movie at an art theater. Has anyone ever been to a 4th of July parade? Bikers, Lesbians, Gays, Shriners, Democrats, Republicans, Green Party, environmentalists, protestors, veterans, students, war re-enactors- people of every flavor. We live in a quicksand of culture, where everything that is introduced is immediatley absorbed and given its proper place. I may not agree with a lot of it, but as a real American it would be hypocritical of me to denounce any of it. As long as it isnt hurting anyone, i belive it belongs here, in this great country.
It is true that i havnt explored every corner of the earth, but when i do, i doubt that i will ever find such an amazing collection of culture.

A few more bullet points to come, perhaps...

It is true that our administration hasnt exactly pleased me over the last several years. They have made decisions which have brought me sick to my stomach- but that doesnt mean im about to turn against my country. And everyone can criticize me all they want, saying how evil it is to love america nowadays- but it wont change anything. Because at its core, America isnt war. America isnt inperialism or facism or a dictatorship, America isnt hypocritical, America isnt torturing, America isnt rude or insensitive or ignorant. America is, at its best, the point at which all other earthly points collide- this is to say that it is, in a sense, the lexicon of what it is to be human, to be an earthling. These evil things everyone is saying about America, they only exist because of the nature of this quicksand- that letting the good in will also let in the bad- that with light comes darkness- and these evil things are the result of evil people, people who could exist in any country at any period in time, but chose to exploit America as an outlet for their evil because of the way we are built.

[/rant]

well....what else was i going to write during lecture?
Hah, yes, if only Canada were known to embrace such liberal policies of humanitarianism, let in minorities and manage to get their hands on some decent geographical features.

It's a good post, I really don't mean to sound like a jerkface, but they just don't sound like features completely unique to America.

Originally Posted by shirble
Hah, yes, if only Canada were known to embrace such liberal policies of humanitarianism, let in minorities and manage to get their hands on some decent geographical features.

It's a good post, I really don't mean to sound like a jerkface, but they just don't sound like features completely unique to America.
They aren't.

Lets face it, if you live there where you live will be the greatest country on earth.

I could pick apart America for all its faults but I won't because they aren't for lack of trying. As an American, what I don't like about my country has much more to do with its hubris and lack of ability to learn from its mistakes.

What I love about my country more than anything else is the fact that we have such great potential to move beyond the dogmatic constraints of our beloved Constitution, beyond the petty racism and sexual bigotry and beyond the bounds of what would be acceptable in a country not so new as ours.

What is the greatest country on earth? That is more a matter of personal opinion that rational argument, but for my money I believe there is no such thing. I love my country because my country is where I live. It to me is like being "proud" of your race, it is a moot question in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by shirble
By no means are they unique to America. Nothing is unique to America because everything we have we got from somewhere else. Even ideologies and beliefs and systems- things developed by wiser people in wiser countries- we take and adapt them- and to me that is the beauty- the US being the intersection of everything. May sound a bit pompus- but i believe it. (This isnt to say that this comingling is even unique to the states- but it really seemed to be in earlier times. Globalization has kind of changed everything.)

And if you maple suckers up there dont like it- you can go slap a puck around or something. (just kidding. Canada is cool.)