The New AND Improved MoFo Top 100 Films of All-Time

→ in
Tools    

Too low!

There we go.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Like that flick, eh?

What is it about that flick that appeals to you so much anyway? If I may be so bold as to ask, good sir.

It's really, really, really, really good.

Honestly, pretty well every aspect of the film. Writing, directing, acting, cinematography, editing, Harry Lime, that zither, the subject matter in relation to that moment of history in that part of the world, the way it all unfolds and how it's presented to us. In other words: flawless. Man, Harry Lime's entrance alone would almost be enough to sell me on that film being one of the greatest. Like I said, it's really good.

I could go into great detail, but I've never been one who finds enjoyment or reward in spending my time writing essays/reviews about films. Plus, I have to go to work soon. Yes, that's right. Stay in school, kids. Get that college diploma.

that is the one thing I really didn't think, possibly the only thing
I don't think Yoda did either. I recall a conversation with him after he watched it for the first time awhile back. To each their own.

I don't think Yoda did either. I recall a conversation with him after he watched it for the first time awhile back. To each their own.
I love the zither though, maybe if it wasn't used for the whole soundtrack and just the day scenes it would make more sense to me

To me the best thing about The Third Man was Lime's entrance & the underground finale..

& it's biggest pride is that it doesn't age... it's immortal..
Maybe that's why they never remade it, even though movies have been loosely based on it.

Now if they could remake it with Steven Seagal, Our very own MoFo's Harry Lime would be the happiest man alive.

LOVE me some Silence of the Lambs. A higher ranking would have been more justifiable though
If SotL had been higher than The Third Man, I may've had to kill somebody.

You are correct, sir. I didn't think it fit the atmosphere much, and I didn't find it as catchy as everyone else apparently did. But it was interesting and stood out (both for good and ill), and I didn't particularly dislike it, either.

I find Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, as well as Black Hawk Down, overrated.

I think that The Professional and Signs are highly overrated. The Professional was better than Signs but, Signs was still pretty good. The entire aliens on TV concept was great (the bird running into the ship, and the alien at that birthday party).

We've had a lot of discussions on here about how discussion about what's "overrated" is overrated. It relies not only on people's subjective idea of the film's quality, but of their incredibly vague of how other people rate films in general, which usually varies widely and isn't really anchored in much other than some hazy feel.

I just don't think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Professional, or Signs are some of the greatest movies of all time.

We've had a lot of discussions on here about how discussion about what's "overrated" is overrated. It relies not only on people's subjective idea of the film's quality, but of their incredibly vague of how other people rate films in general, which usually varies widely and isn't really anchored in much other than some hazy feel.
Fair enough.

48. Heat (1995, Mann)

Total Points Earned: 64
Compared to Previous List: NEW

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I just don't think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Professional, or Signs are some of the greatest movies of all time.
But this isn't a list of the 'greatest movies of all time', this is a compilation of the favourite films of those people who bothered to participate. Nobody thinks anyone else's personal top 100, or top 25, or whatever is a list of 'the greatest movies of all time', probably not even the person who compiled the list, you've always got your childhood favourites or guilty pleasures hiding in there somewhere.

I still don't get all this complaining that films 'shouldn't be there' (they are there because some people like them), or 'should be higher' (they would be higher if more people liked them enough to place them higher in their lists). Nobody's going to like the whole top 100. We didn't pick 100 films so even if all your top 25 made it, the other 75 are an unknown quantity.