Promotion For MovieForums Top 100 Horror Films

Tools    

Director James Cameron calls Aliens an action film-

Well ok, if he says so. Certainly won't riot if it's in or out....

As for anything with ghosts being horror, can't say I agree. If course people terrified of ghosts would find horror in anything featuring a ghost. Everyone has their films they'd classify as horror which is unconventional to the genre.

Horror genre is very broad based. In the last several decades it has been a lot of slasher gore stuff...but before the 1960s that wasn't usually the norm. I think all of these classics horrors are still horror:

Psycho (1960)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Shining (1980)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Frankenstein (1931)
Carnival of Souls
Dracula (1931)
The Old Dark House (1932)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Haunting (1963)
The Omen (1976)

I think we need to allow as many MoFos as possible to participate by keeping the horror genre broad...If this was just all slasher gore stuff I won't be able to send a list.

Horror genre is very broad based. In the last several decades it has been a lot of slasher gore stuff...but before the 70s that wasn't usually the norm. I think all of these classics horrors are still horror:

Psycho (1960)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Shining (1980)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Frankenstein (1931)
Carnival of Souls
Dracula (1931)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Haunting (1963)
The Omen (1976)

I think we need to allow as many MoFos as possible to participate by keeping the horror genre broad...If this was just all slasher gore stuff I won't be able to send a list.
No doubt that's like the definition of horror right there.

No doubt that's like the definition of horror right there.
I'm making my horror list as we speak! By looking at IMDB, I only have 25,081 feature length films to consider Wow this will take all day.

IMDB makes it easy as you can sort Horror genre by different ways. I sorted by release date:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?ti...le_type,genres

Shaun of the Dead
To me they're comedies but they probably should be allowed.
I'm not going to include "Shaun of the Dead" because to me it's more comedy than horror. I'm not objecting others including it.

I do feel the emphasis should lean Horror, keep in mind this will be the Top 100 Horror Films.

Based purely on the IMDb tags, here's how the on-the-edge films mentioned so far in here shake out:

Horror:
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Shaun of the Dead
Kill List
Alien
The Thing
Psycho
Army of Darkness
Bubba Ho-Tep
Sleepy Hollow
G̶r̶e̶m̶l̶i̶n̶s̶
Fido
The Fly
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Not Horror:
A̶l̶i̶e̶n̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶x̶t̶h̶ ̶S̶e̶n̶s̶e̶
G̶h̶o̶s̶t̶b̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶
J̶a̶w̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶l̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶a̶m̶b̶s̶

The IMDb tags sort a good bit of it out.

To use the example of Ghostbusters, consider how the elements work inside the story. Are the Ghosts handled inside the story as a horror element or as comedy? Think of the big cute Marshmallow romping through the city. That sends my mind to Comedy. There *are* Horror Comedies, yet to be a Horror Comedy the movie has to feature Horror elements that compete directly with the comedy.

Of the ones tagged by IMDb, I don't count Gremlins as horror. There are several others on the borderline as well.

Horror genre is very broad based. In the last several decades it has been a lot of slasher gore stuff...but before the 70s that wasn't usually the norm. I think all of these classics horrors are still horror:

Psycho (1960)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Shining (1980)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Frankenstein (1931)
Carnival of Souls
Dracula (1931)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Haunting (1963)
The Omen (1976)

These are all undoubtedly Horror.

Think we should go by IMDb's tags, and also use MoFo's own database TMDb for what movies are labelled as Horror.
Using info from established websites, it's just the easiest way to do it.

But, yes, I'm up for a Horror List

We classing They Live as horror?
There's a lot of sci-fi and action involved, but is tagged Horror in IMDb.

Didn't expect Silence Of The Lambs to be ineligible. Did expect Jaws and I agree, although if the ruling went the other way I would vote for it.

You guys probably already know about this, but I only just found out that IMDB has a really neat Advance Search that can narrow down the results to a manageable size.

IMDB Advance Search

I'm looking for horrors that I've seen. Without the Advance search I had 26,000 horror titles to look over! Using the Advance search I got that down to 1500 titles. Much easier, and so good for jogging my memory.

Some more I want to ask about

Zombieland
Little Shop Of Horrors (1986)
Slither (2006)

And...
Misery (1990) - Pretty sure will be
Carrie (1976) - Pretty sure will be

Some more I want to ask about

Zombieland I say yes
Little Shop Of Horrors (1986) I think no
Slither (2006) Haven't seen it

And...