Best Death Scene

Tools    

Okay, so -- End of Watch -- the new Jake Gyllenhaal movie. I think it sucks. But it does have a great death scene. Although, this is a big spoiler:

WARNING: "End of Watch" spoilers below
Michael Peņa dies on top of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Yes.

WARNING: "End of Watch" spoilers below
He is gunned down by some crazy Mexican gangsters and he falls on top of Jake, who he's been tending to because Jake gets shot in the chest (he lives!) and it looks like Jake has died, but he really hasn't, and then these gangsters sneak up behind Michael and start blasting him. Somehow Jake isn't even struck by all of the bullets that kill Michael (probably because he's Jake.)

I hated this movie, but to die on top of Jake Gyllenhaal is truly the best way to die.

Bonnie & Clyde in "Bonnie & Clyde"
Sonny Corleone in "The Godfather"
William Dafoe in "Platoon"
Boromir in "Lord Of The Rings"
Anna Quadri in "Il Conformista"
Marion in "Psycho"
Kill Bill has some stylish deaths,too.

Deaths that don't purport to be anything but entertainment:

Best: Gus Fring in Breaking Bad (Season 4, Ep 13, Face Off)

Worst: Paris Hilton in House of Wax

Deaths that probably come close to what it looks like in real life:

Best (i.e. worst): Almost every death in Schindler's List

Worst: N/A

Russel Crowe in Gladiator, or Brice Willis in Sin City are the first that come to mind.

Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter
Peter Weller in Robocop
Alan Rickman in Die Hard
Gary Oldman in True Romance
Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast

I love the scene in 300. Where it speeds up and then slows down during the big fight with the Persians. So cool!

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast

Fredo Corleone in Godfather - you don't even see Clemenza do the deed, just Michael's reaction. Powerful!

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
In one of the alternate endings to The Butterfly Effect, Evan alters the past so that he dies as a baby. I think it's one of the better endings, though some people didn't like it.

The only thing that immediately came to mind was the last death in The Grey.

Look out! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I agree with mark f on Sometimes a Great Notion. That death with the log and the water was one of the best-acted scenes, ever, IMO.

Also, thanks to Slug for mentioning Nevada Smith and Karl Malden. My Dad and I used to joke about that scene for years just due to Malden screaming "Ya yeller! Ya haven't got the guts! Finish me!" But, it is left uncertain whether he dies or not...maybe eventually. We just know McQueen says, "No, you're just not worth killing." Oh, what a slam against Malden's character! As for the others, he definitely killed Martin Landau (he pulled on his arm while bracing him against a fence plank and stuck in his knife, twisting it. Landau collapsed, dead, on the plank. Later, his widow said something along the lines of "It'd have to be some sort of man to take Jesse in a knife-fight." And this while she was trying to seduce him! Some wife! Nevada also kills Arthur Kennedy in the swamp by shooting him till he sinks beneath the waters. This is echoed by Pilar (Suzanne Pleshette) telling Smith that he used her to get his revenge and that she didn't want to die in sin looking at his face. Malden is the worst, but the one who deserves the least respect by getting a quick death. Classic, classic stuff!

I have several favorite death scenes that vary in range from comic to serious:

Wanted: Dead or Alive (1986), with Rutger Hauer being offered a bonus for bringing in Gene Simmons (yep, that Gene Simmons) alive. He has a grenade in Simmons' mouth, and says "F*** the bonus," pulls the pin, everyone runs and Gene (handcuffed, natch) jumps around before the top of his body explodes.

RoboCop (1987) Emil gets doused with toxic waste and is hit by Clarence with a car and splatters apart. Hilarious, gory scene.

Platoon (1986) As several have mentioned, Sgt. Elias' death is one of the most affecting film death I've ever seen.

L.A. Confidential (1997)Jack (Kevin Spacey) is suddenly, surprisingly shot by co-worker Dudley (James Cromwell) in his kitchen.

The Green Mile (1999) Delacroix's (Michael Jeter) heinous, fiery death in the electric chair because of the vileness of Percy (Doug Hutchison). I'd read the series of books beforehand and was still shocked at the gruesomeness of it.

I'm sure I can think of others, just not now.

Jaws. The first time.

Sam Loomis blowing himself up with Michael in Holloween II. (Original.)

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
With so many good ones already listed, I'll go with Hopper in Speed (1994)

Jean Reno in Leon: The Professional, I always love when a character dies blowing himself up to take someone down with him.