Netflix vs Theaters

Tools    

I'd probably agree with that, especially if by television you include home theater and not just television shows.

I think the larger problem is an exponential rise in unchecked narcissism (especially since the issue is usually sheer obliviousness to others), but at some point we get into a chicken/egg thing, too, since some of this stuff reinforces it.

Agreed. Other people ruin everything, it's almost like...hell is other people.
Yikes, sounds like you need a one-room cabin in Wyoming.

I think eventually, probably not in the near future, but theaters will probably start to loose momentum. Right now, from a business perspective, you/we shouldn't have to worry about that. I say this because, theatres have yet to embark on any impressive/desperate attempt to salvage dwindling business through marketing or advertising. Today, at least in texas over the years, there has been a huge growth in the dining/drinking type movie theaters, i.e. Movie Grill/Tavern and even AMC Dine Ins, which all have added infrastructure they built unto their theaters, meaning, this is an investment and they have the capital to expand kitchens, luxurious seating, staff, bars, etc,etc.

The article's main reference or point, at least what I believed it to be, was the threat that movie theaters themselves would be in physical/monetary jeopardy if online vendors had the rights to release the movies same day, jeopardizing the physical infrastructure of the movie theater business model. To this I would completely agree. I feel it will happen in time (but again not for awhile), because I think what we may be overlooking how complicated things would have to become in order for this to happen for every release, and the impact of movie prodcution as a whole. For instance, someone mentioned seeing Avengers in the theater. When a movie like this is made, a production budget is set based on the market, the business model in which the movie will hopefully payback its return (either straight ticket sales, dvds, rentals, both, etc). Obviously, when making and planning a movie at this caliber, I can't imagine any production and/or distribution team on the side of the movie thinking, "well we better see first what NetFlix will give us for a first day release as well as Itunes and Amazon, because we are expecting to make our 220 million dollars back on opening weekend so we need to make sure they can cover it." Both sides, NetFlix, and the movie industry want to make money. Right now, the movie industry makes their money at the movies, and simply NetFlix does not. That is a new revenue source they want to gain. Right now, I don’t think the industry is looking to completely shift gears away from that main source of theaters exclusively.
NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu, everyone is creating original series and movies, yes, and they are respectable, yes, but they do not compare to the type of movies that can be created by large production studios. If the industry does shift to NetFlix and other online mediums, do you feel this will positively or negatively impact a movie’s production value, as well as the ability for independent movies to made (since there is hardly any monetary return on these types of films). I say this because remember, NetFlix is still a business, they haven’t proven themselves yet to be a vehicle of cinema inspiration or creativity (not impressed with their original content, not enough to say they are the future of the movie industry).
From a consumer perspective, I hope theaters never close. I will admit my attendance has gone down over the years, just based on economy, and really just movie releases, and unfortunately I have to say that not every theater going experience is pleasurable. As a consumer, by having various mediums to see movies, and not solely just online, we still have some market control over pricing. If everything were to go straight online, well don’t you think membership dues would slightly rise along with stand alone purchases? Do we as a cinema-philes want just the internet dictating what entertainment we can and can’t see based on the price of online competitors? I don’t feel so, and the reference about Tower Heist……yeesh…..a movie like that….is it really any wonder why Universal thought about changing their distribution on that “gem,”?

My family hasn't been to a movie theater in years. First of all we won't spend that kind of money (we're very frugal folks). Secondly I like to be able to pause the movie and get a snack or visit the restroom. We have a 10 foot TV in the house with no satellite just Netflix streaming. If we want to watch something more recent ... it's out to the local Redbox. I also don't have to worry about having my shoes stick to the floor. Yuk.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Netflix Wants Big Movies Day and Date With Theaters

In my opinion this guy is the worst but he's also probably right that inevitably in a few decades movie theaters will be obsolete.

Movie theaters will never become absolete. They survived the 1950s when television entered peoples' homes. Theater owners have the money and the technology to come up with new ideas to stay ahead of the market. Theaters where people can leave their homes to go and watch a show have been around for thousands of years. They're not going anywhere.

Agreed. Other people ruin everything, it's almost like...hell is other people.
You must be hanging with the wrong people!

Movie theaters will never become absolete. They survived the 1950s when television entered peoples' homes. Theater owners have the money and the technology to come up with new ideas to stay ahead of the market. Theaters where people can leave their homes to go and watch a show have been around for thousands of years. They're not going anywhere.
They have to re-invent themselves periodically, but the theaters in my town are doing quite well. The "dinner and a movie" thing is quite alive. The suburban mall cineplex that I go to (when there's no other choice) is stuffed to the gills on weekends and busy on weekdays and the art houses in the City have managed to do well enough with their combination of indie and foreign films. I also think the pessimists underestimate the appeal of a collective experience when seeing a movie. I'll also give odds that theaters will continue for at least a few more years.

My family hasn't been to a movie theater in years. First of all we won't spend that kind of money (we're very frugal folks). Secondly I like to be able to pause the movie and get a snack or visit the restroom. We have a 10 foot TV in the house with no satellite just Netflix streaming. If we want to watch something more recent ... it's out to the local Redbox. I also don't have to worry about having my shoes stick to the floor. Yuk.
There are really a lot of good movies aside from the small, action-oriented selection in Redbox. Netflix is OK, but it completely misses some of the large distributors, so there are many good movies you will never see.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Movie theaters are an American tradition. They won't go away. They would see decreased prices before they would go away mark my word. Naturally they will probably just stay the same.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I still enjoy seeing a film at theaters. Netflix just can't replicate the experience. Part of it is the fun of going out instead of staying home, part of it is the social experience, and a lot of it is seeing a film on a bigger screen than i could ever have in my home. I hate to think there would be a day when we all just stay in our homes, everything delivered to us, shunning all human contact. That seems sad to me. I'm still sad there are no video stores anymore. Netflix can't replace that experience either.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I still like theaters and I'll defend them till I'm blue in the face. Some of my favorite memories are in theaters. There's nothing quite like going to see a movie at it's midnight release with a bunch of other people as crazy about it as you are. Nothing any kind of service can give me at home will match that.

The Adventure Starts Here!
If you generally go the same theater, maybe you're just in a good area for that sort of thing. That and maybe you're less sensitive to it than I am, though my sensitivity to it has been brought about by the multitude of bad experiences, so who knows.
Have you tried writing a letter to the theater in question? A real, hard-copy letter, explaining your frustration and telling them you'll be taking your business elsewhere?

I've noticed that nearly every theater has the stern "turn off your phone!" and "be courteous and don't talk!" warnings before the movies, but nobody ever actually does anything about it. No ushers come in and warn or banish people.

They should. Using cell phones during a movie should be a kicked-out offense, no money back.

If they did this routinely, I bet the behavior would change fast as word got out that they enforced their cell phone ban.

And it just might start with a few disgruntled and otherwise loyal customers writing to say they're walking away.

Must be doin sumthin right
Originally Posted by Austruck
They should. Using cell phones during a movie should be a kicked-out offense, no money back.

If they did this routinely, I bet the behavior would change fast as word got out that they enforced their cell phone ban.
Or if more people thought they'd get shot by a crazy person.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/justic...ater-shooting/

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Using cell phones during a movie should be a kicked-out offense, no money back.
I agree. Next time yell at them and tell them to be quiet. If that doesn't work, grab their phone and toss it across the room. I wouldn't put up with that crap.