My Favorite Jim Carrey Performances

Tools    

Edward Nygma/The Riddler, Batman Forever

Despite beings surrounded by some Hollywood heavyweights like Val Kilmer, Nicole Kidman, Tommy Lee Jones, and Drew Barrymore, Carrey's interpretation of the classic Batman villain was the highlight of this film for my money.

Chip Douglas/Cable Guy, The Cable Guy

Carrey was paid an unprecedented $20 million to star in this black comedy directed by Ben Stiller playing a lonely cable installer who invades the personal life of one of his clients (Matthew Broderick).

Himself, The Larry Sanders Show

Carrey should have earned an Emmy nomination for his appearance on the final episode of the Garry Shandling sitcom. What started out as a plea to keep Larry on the air turned into an outrageous tribute from Carry to the tune of "And I Am Telling you I'm Not Going."

Charlie/Hank, Me, Myself, and Irene

One of Carrey's most underrated performances finds him playing a State Trooper who people have walked over his entire life who suddenly develops another personality to protect himself.

Fletcher Reed, Liar Liar

Carrey plays a divorced, workaholic attorney whose neglect of his son prompts the boy to make a wish when he blows out on the candles on his 5th birthday cake wishing that his dad would be unable to tell a lie for a whole day and the wish comes true, complicating Fletcher's life to no end for 24 hours.

Andy Kaufman, Man on the Moon

Carrey is absolutely frightening in his dead on impression of the late comic Andy Kaufman. Carrey was robbed of an Oscar nomination for this performance, though it did win him a Golden Globe.

Joel Barrish, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Carrey was again robbed of an Oscar nomination for his performance as a romantically challenged young man whose romance with an eccentric kook (Kate Winslet) goes sour but he is enraged when he learns that she has a medical procedure to have any memory of him removed from her brain, so he decides to do the same.

That's # 2...I was going to do some honorable mentions, but I think I'm going to wrap this up since there's probably no suspense regarding what #1 is...and now, my # 1 favorite Jim Carrey performance:

Truman Burbank, The Truman Burbank

Carrey was robbed of a third Oscar nomination, though he did win the Golden Globe for Outstanding Actor in a Drama. Carrey is deeply moving as a man who doesn't have a clue that his blissful existence is actually a very elaborate reality television series that is broadcast 24 hours a day.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.