Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I think he'd turn a Troma off after five minutes. I am trying to get us all to watch Poultrygeist, 'cause I think the others aside from him would love it.
Well it is a Troma flick that was a CRITICAL hit and a positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I wish you the best of luck.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Monsters (2010)
-

Good effort, but it didn't do anything for me. It was bland, dull and slow. Character development was lacking, and when you have a tiny half mil. budget, those characters better be the main attraction. You get a decent look at the aliens' lights right at the end. There really is no good visual of a living, moving monster in the whole movie. The stationary train cars near the river bank were very cheap CGI. If they're not even moving, why do they have to look so fake? The hot blonde was too quiet for most of the movie. No nookie, either, unless what the monsters did counts. Though, I can't really confirm or deny what it was that I saw them doing, 'cause I just don't know. I found most of the characters to be irritating or virtually mute. The old lady was funny.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	old lady.png
Views:	202
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	29705  

Well it is a Troma flick that was a CRITICAL hit and a positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I wish you the best of luck.
Oh sh*t. If there's a good RT score, there might be hope.

National Velvet (1944)

From the top 100 cheers list, this is a great family film that I'm surprised I haven't heard more about. If I saw it at the right time in my life, I'd probably love it. It's definitely the best movie featuring a horse that I can recall. It's a very endearing film with plenty of good performances, including from youngsters Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney, and Angela Lansbury.

2 for 2 Satoshi! While the movie is not particularly dark and not the least bit sleazy, I really liked this movie. At it's core is a love story but told with a severe blurring between fantasy and reality that tickles my surrealism taste buds. Kind of hard to tell what is fact, what actually happened, and what was just a movie set within this movie. And unlike Perfect Blue someone wrote a few jokes as there was a nice amount of comedy to the movie. And the animation in this movie was really good. At the end of the day, it was a touching and beautifully animated film. I look forward to the final 2 Satoshi Kon movies.

The Discovery (McDowell, 2017)

Another déjà vu product of Netflix's algorithms, its heavily derivative of Charlie Kaufman's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as well as Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master. These kind of think tank, collage properties have the same restrictions which plague the Marvel franchise. They're sanitized and impersonal by design. This one does happen to sport a talented cast, but the things it does right have been done before and better.

That said, it's not a bad cover band. They do play the hits. So much so that they probably owe Johnny Greenwood royalty checks. Perhaps its biggest shortcoming lies in its failing to engage with the very themes that its science fiction element enables. What's a film about regret that doesn't make you feel? What's a film about mortality that doesn't make you think? It's another psychological thriller that strings you along with a carrot on a stick. Entertaining enough. Disposable.

Spy (2015) 5/10
Really don't understand what's so funny about this film. The rest of the cast was good I liked Stathams performance and Rose Byrne is hot as **** but Melissa McCarthy is a unfunny hack she's a crappy actress. She wouldn't have a career if she weren't fat. I was surprised how much the f word was used and how heavily they relied on it for gags. I was expecting something more smart for a spy movie and I thought this Movie was going to be more family friendly. This movie is ridiculously overrated on Rotten Tomatoes and I can't believe this was nominated for a Golden Globe. Is this some kind of feminist biase or something? because it's really not that funny.

Welcome to the human race...
Spy (2015) 5/10
Really don't understand what's so funny about this film. The rest of the cast was good I liked Stathams performance and Rose Byrne is hot as **** but Melissa McCarthy is a unfunny hack she's a crappy actress. She wouldn't have a career if she weren't fat. I was surprised how much the f word was used and how heavily they relied on it for gags. I was expecting something more smart for a spy movie and I thought this Movie was going to be more family friendly. This movie is ridiculously overrated on Rotten Tomatoes and I can't believe this was nominated for a Golden Globe. Is this some kind of feminist biase or something? because it's really not that funny.
I gotta admit, it's funny to see someone with Scarface and Pulp Fiction in their top 10 complain about a movie using the F-word so much. In any case, it seems like most of your problems with it come from having the wrong set of expectations - spy movies definitely don't have to be smart or family-friendly to work (just look at Austin Powers), so be prepared to leave "I thought" at the door and try to see what the movie is doing (or not doing) to defy your expectations. Also, why bring RT into this?

“I was cured, all right!”

Funny how the animation is far better than Dragon Ball Super...

Best SF animation ever

Not a great ending for a great series...

Unregistered User
In work at the minute and I cant find a 'suitable' photo to put up of....

The Bunny Game (2011) -

I liked the storyline and the acting was fairly good. The lack of dialogue totally ruined it though. Don't watch with the kids.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Salt and Fire - Werner Herzog's latest takes us to the salt deserts of Bolivia, where a young scientist and her delegation are kidnapped by an unscrupulous CEO over their differences in researching natural disasters. The scientist is then taken to the salt desert and forced to survive with two blind boys. The salt deserts look absolutely beautiful and Herzog takes advantage of the locales in making his characters find a way to survive. Stars Veronica Ferres, Michael Shannon, and Gael Garcia Bernal.

Final Rating: B

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (1978, Chantal Akerman)

The main protagonist - an accomplished female film director Anna (Aurore Clément) who we follow traveling around Europe promoting her new film (which we never get to know anything about) and meeting with different people - is an oddly beautiful, impenetrable character, quite possibly a projection of Akerman's own self. She's a person of contemplative turn, very introverted, self-absorbed and independent, and throughout the film we see the world filtered through the lens of her (or Akerman's?) highly sensitive artistic psyche and emotional detachment. There's something Bressonian about her - those listless, almost robotic gestures, lack of openly expressed emotions (she does display them but not often) or interest in the surrounding world. She passes through life, not really touching anything or being touched, distanced from the mundane aspects of existence. We don't know what's on her mind - it's as if she looks at every situation she finds herself in as an idea for a scene in a film she may do in the future - abstract, minimalistic and mysterious as herself. Masterfully shot and edited (check out the fixed-camera, symmetrical frame compositions Akerman often uses to visualize the anomie and sterility of the outside world as seen by Anna), the film meanders from one meeting to another with little or nothing happening, as the attention of the viewer focuses almost solely on trying to decipher Anna's secret inner motives. A fascinating character study and a highly personal work from one of France's most influential filmmakers.

Howard's End (1992)