Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Truman Show (1998)

The guy who told Jim Carrey he should specialize in comedy should be crucified! This is one of the best things I ever saw him doing! What a complete actor!!!!

The only bad thing about this movie is that it ended! I wished it had 20 more minutes to show his life after this!

10/10

The Truman Show (1998)

The guy who told Jim Carrey he should specialize in comedy should be crucified! This is one of the best things I ever saw him doing! What a complete actor!!!!

The only bad thing about this movie is that it ended! I wished it had 20 more minutes to show his life after this!

10/10
Excellent review. I agree with you too. Jim Carey is so good at showing real humanity, as he did in The Truman Show, that comedy movies should take a back seat for him.

Entertaining, but still full of problems.

Fury is about a group of soldiers who operate a tank that they call "Fury". When I think of this I either think of an emotional story about a group of soldiers trying to deal with the horrors of war, or I think of the action packed adventures of a wild and rough crew as they travel across Germany killing Nazis. The sad thing is that Fury tries to do both of these things in the movie, and this just makes a muddled mess. I will explain this in detail later, but I'd first like to talk about the acting.

Most of the acting in this film is great, but not quite all of it. There are some moments of overacting, but those happen relatively rarely. The two standouts in the film are Shia LaBeouf and Brad Pitt, and as good as LaBeouf is he gets nowhere near to enough screen time in the film. One thing I really wanted in this film was more character development. For example: Michael Pena's character doesn't do much in the film, and I didn't feel much emotion for him. The frustrating thing is that you can see good characters in there somewhere, but they are never fully realized and brought to life. The only characters that get true development are Brad Pitt's character and Logan Lerman's character. The other characters get brief scenes of emotion here and there, but never truly get a chance to show their true character. It's like someone wrote a script full of dialogue and character development and someone looked at it and said "What's this? Who cares about character development?? Throw that out and put this tank battle in instead." While we're talking about scripts, I need to talk about the dialogue and screenplay of the film.

The dialogue in this film sounds like it was written by two people. Because at some moments there are choppy brutish dialogue lines, and at other moments there are poetic and emotional lines. The combination of these two things is jarring and feels very out of place. This is part of why I think this should have been two movies, not one. In one version of Fury they could have had the rough 'n' tough dialogue and tons of action scenes, and in the other they could have had more of the poetic lines and more character development. This leads me to my discussion of the action scenes and huge tonal shifts in Fury.

Another plus for Fury is the action scenes. They get your blood pumping and are executed well. But after those blood pumping scenes where characters are shouting things like "Yeah, screw you Nazis!" are sad and somber scenes of men shooting guns with piano music in the background, making us think "War is terrible.." This ultimately confuses the audience member, making them wonder, "Are we supposed to be cheering for the main characters or be saddened by the horrors of war?" This continues throughout the movie, and it is one of Fury's biggest flaws. Also, it seems that Fury is going for a realistic action film, so the almost cartooonish violence does not fit well. These are more reasons to split this into two movies. One can have blood pumping action scenes with cartoony violence, and the other could have saddening action scenes with realistic violence.

Fury is not an all bad movie, and this isn't a review just to trash the movie, there were some things I really liked about this film. One thing I loved about this movie was the camerawork. The first shot of the movie is haunting and beautiful, and there is memorable imagery throughout the film. Camerawork and lighting was very very good and I was pleasantly surprised. Another thing I liked was the score. The music, especially in the sad scenes, fits very well with the somber, gray visuals. I also liked the last half hour or so of the film. It worked pretty well for the most part.

Fury was a decent movie, I just feel like they should have taken more time to make it and flesh out the characters more and adress a few other problems. It seems like it was in a rush to be released. They either should have taken more time with it or made it into two movies. Despite all it's problems, I enjoyed Fury for the most part. If there ever was a movie fit for a re-do, it would be Fury. This film had a lot of potential, it just tried to do too many things at once, and made itself a muddy mess. Fans of war films won't be as critical of me, so if you like Brad Pitt or war movies, then I would suggest you go to see Fury.

Fire walk with me.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Million Dollar Baby (2004)

As every great film, the less you know about this one, the more you will like it! This was on my watchlist for a long time but the only thing I knew about it was that it's a story about a old guy training a girl to be a boxer champion!

That said, it's unbelievable dark, powerful and dramatic! A truly masterpiece that really makes you think about a lot of stuff!

9/10

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

I'd like to watch this again soon because I wasn't 100% enthralled throughout it's entirety. It's still up there with the most powerful movies I've seen. It's very memorable, and that's what I look for. I would consider this movie to be mandatory viewing.

I watched this movie dubbed in English. I wouldn't do that with a live action movie, but I figure with it being animated, it's dubbed anyway. Please let me know if I'm missing something with this.
I think you are. With the superior original voice acting the movie becomes more powerful. It's always better to watch movies in their original soundtrack even animated ones because the director of the voice actors is the original director of the movie and hence it preserves the artistic integrity of the movie.

Grave of the Fireflies is, along with Spirited Away, one of the very few anime films that film buffs in general love as much as animation/anime fans.

Disney in the 90's were very hit and miss for me. Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Tarzan were amazing, Hunchback of Natre Dame and the Three Musketeers were okay and Aladdin, Pocahontas and this just bored the ever living hell out of me.

The characters are boring, the story is cliché, the dialogue is painful and it's just so boring to watch. I suppose the animation, voice acting and the songs were pretty good. Also, James Wood makes Hades somewhat likeable because he's that good.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hercules-1997.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	18200  

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I don't know that it will be on my list. Not that it's not a good movie, but I don't think I can bear to watch it again. Dog movies destroy me and this particular one does the most damage.
That's why I have no real interest in ever watching Plague Dogs. Even if someone told me there's a chance it could be my favourite movie ever I don't think so. Like you, movies that feature sad doggy moments just destroy me. Hell the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark" was enough to reduce me to a blubbering mess and send me into the foetal position.

Fury

Lightsaber bullets!

A really good look at war. From what I've heard it was pretty realistic to world war II. Two things I liked the most were how they actually portrayed the advancement of Nazi technology, unlike most other war films. And the brutality of war. Sometimes it seemed violent just for the sake of violence.
The performances were good, but nothing oscar worthy (nominations included) here. I always feel like Logan Lerman is over-acting, so I don't particularly love him. Especially in such a big role.
The pacing was a little off as well. Some things needed to be drawn out more and others needed to be shortened. I also didn't care too much for the ending.
Fury had massive potential, but for me, didn't live up to the hype. I'm not a David Ayer fan by any means. Let's just hope Suicide Squad is much much better.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

The Uninvited (1944)

This is a ghost story from the top 100 horrors list, but there were many stretches when I forgot I was watching a horror movie. That wasn't a bad thing because it's a good, pleasant all around film. Nice atmosphere, setting, music, etc.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Uninvited (1944)

This is a ghost story from the top 100 horrors list, but there were many stretches when I forgot I was watching a horror movie. That wasn't a bad thing because it's a good, pleasant all around film. Nice atmosphere, setting, music, etc.

I just watched (re-watched) this on TCM a couple of days ago, and I don't consider it a horror movie. It's really more of a suspense movie, and a very good one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Plague Dogs (1982)

I was very much on the fence as to whether or not to watch The Plague Dogs, but I decided to give it a chance. I can see why this is considered a classic, but it's one of the most depressing and disturbing movies I've ever seen. This is billed as "an adventure of a lifetime" for two dogs who escape from a lab, but they just seem to go from one fight for their life, to another, and another, and on and on. It doesn't feel like an adventure. It just feels like a fight for survival.

WARNING: "SPOILER ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
And this is another movie that most people won't agree with me, but I don't care for the depressing ending. Although the ending is kind of ambiguous, it seems fairly clear to me that after all of that fighting to survive, they lose that fight and end up drowning while trying to reach either a non-existent island, or at best, an island that is too far away for them to reach.

As a rabbit lover, I've been on the fence about whether or not to watch the movie Watership Down, but this is from the same creators, so unfortunately, this movie probably solidified my decision not to watch Watership Down.

If you're an animal lover, this movie is probably not for you.

The Plague Dogs (1982)

I was very much on the fence as to whether or not to watch The Plague Dogs, but I decided to give it a chance. I can see why this is considered a classic, but it's one of the most depressing and disturbing movies I've ever seen. This is billed as "an adventure of a lifetime" for two dogs who escape from a lab, but they just seem to go from one fight for their life, to another, and another, and on and on. It doesn't feel like an adventure. It just feels like a fight for survival.

WARNING: "SPOILER ABOUT THE ENDING!!!" spoilers below
And this is another movie that most people won't agree with me, but I don't care for the depressing ending. Although the ending is kind of ambiguous, it seems fairly clear to me that after all of that fighting to survive, they lose that fight and end up drowning while trying to reach either a non-existent island, or at best, an island that is too far away for them to reach.

As a rabbit lover, I've been on the fence about whether or not to watch the movie Watership Down, but this is from the same creators, so unfortunately, this movie probably solidified my decision not to watch Watership Down.

If you're an animal lover, this movie is probably not for you.
The Plague Dogs isn't made for everyone, but Watership Down (to me at least) is much less grim and depressing if that's any consolation.

WARNING: "Plague Dogs ending" spoilers below
Some think the ending is code for doggie heaven.

WARNING: "Novel ending" spoilers below
At the end of the novel, the dogs swim to Snitter's owner and he reclaims him and takes in Rowf as well.

A Man and a Woman (1966)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

On the Waterfront.

Was oddly enough uncertain if I would dislike this movie, but I'm glad to say I didn't. I loved it. A great movie that I don't feel needs to be said much about. Solid acting, Brando was great, and oh my God that soundtrack! At times it felt like just another soundtrack but in the tense or dramatic scenes the soundtrack was just mesmerizing!