32nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
secret of course

right?
no? yes? Tell only two people but nobody can...

yeah, secret works for me.

VERY cool to get a rewatch of Departures from a previous HoF. Thanks, John for the tubi tip, much obliged.

I forgot the opening line.
Another great set of nominations - very excited about this Hall of Fame

Double Indemnity - Saw this one once in a Personal Rec Hall of Fame and it blew me away. A great film and much like Sunset Boulevard in the last one, will be a tough Billy Wilder film to beat. It's up against great competition though.

Dial M for Murder - I don't think I've seen this Hitchcock film. A great opportunity to scratch another of his films off my unseen list.

H-8 - Completely unknown for me, but it has great ratings online and the double whammy of a story that's right down my alley.

Light in the Piazza - I thought for a moment that was Alain Delon - but it's George Hamilton. Another unknown for me. Story sounds very interesting - after reading the synopsis I'd want to see this even without it being in this HoF.

Blow-Up - Around 10 times a year I think to myself "I really ought to watch Blow-Up again" - now I will definitely fix that. Seen this a few times, but not in a long while.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - The very definition of haunting - not to mention beautifully filmed with the perfect score which adds to this near flawless Peter Weir film - his greatest.

Missing - I've seen this, and it's very, very good.

The Little Girl Who Conquered Time - Never heard of this, but I love time travel movies.

The Name of the Rose - I don't think I've ever seen this, but I knew about it. Definitely on the "to see" list - they're the best HoF noms.

Departures - I remember this. I may have seen it when it came out. Anyway, the memory has completely left me, so I really need to see it to find out. I've seen it on lists, but not crossed it off - been meaning to see it again and looking forward to it.

I'll try to get to H-8 first to participate in any upcoming discussions.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

...Hopefully I can watch H-8 tonight so I can have something to say about it...
I swear every single time I say 'I'm going to watch a movie tonight' on MoFo, something happens to prevent me from watching it! It happens all the time. Last night I went to watch H-8 and had it as a .mp4 file that I downloaded from the YouTube link. Of course when you do that you don't get the 'soft subs'. So I had to go to SubScene and get subtitles. Only they were off by a whooping 27 seconds! So far off that I couldn't figure out who was saying what. So shifting the subs timing was hard to do, but I did it and it matched perfectly....But then after 20 minutes the timing was getting off again and subs were appearing on the screen 15 seconds before anyone spoke. At this point I'm getting very frustrated!But I knew H-8 was on YouTube and I was determined to watch it. So I turn on Roku and go to the YouTube app and use the search function and type in H-8....the movie would not come up! It must be something about YouTube on Roku that stopped me from finding the movie. I'm not giving up! I'm trying again.

I swear every single time I say 'I'm going to watch a movie tonight' on MoFo, something happens to prevent me from watching it! It happens all the time. Last night I went to watch H-8 and had it as a .mp4 file that I downloaded from the YouTube link. Of course when you do that you don't get the 'soft subs'. So I had to go to SubScene and get subtitles. Only they were off by a whooping 27 seconds! So far off that I couldn't figure out who was saying what. So shifting the subs timing was hard to do, but I did it and it matched perfectly....But then after 20 minutes the timing was getting off again and subs were appearing on the screen 15 seconds before anyone spoke. At this point I'm getting very frustrated!But I knew H-8 was on YouTube and I was determined to watch it. So I turn on Roku and go to the YouTube app and use the search function and type in H-8....the movie would not come up! It must be something about YouTube on Roku that stopped me from finding the movie. I'm not giving up! I'm trying again.
Don't know if this is related but the first YouTube link I used was no good because the subtitles would only show on a small screen. Fortunately it has multiple youtube links.

Don't know if this is related but the first YouTube link I used was no good because the subtitles would only show on a small screen. Fortunately it has multiple youtube links.
I found H-8 fully restored and looks great on YouTube under this title: H-8... (1958) [REMASTERED] It does have subs but I couldn't find that exact video on Roku/YouTube....

Not giving up though!

Blow-Up

I first watched this around 6 years ago and had mildly positive feelings. Thought even better of it this time around but I doubt I'll ever love it. It feels like a trap, especially the mystery angle, to make the viewer think and discuss. Of course that's not a bad thing, but it's not really what I look for in a film. I like to feel something, anything, and in that regard it leaves me cold. Ambiguity can be frustrating for me, and fortunately there was only about 10 minutes left before I started being bothered. When I say bothered, I mean almost physically. It really started to get on my nerves, and I think the jazz score, which I enjoyed for most of the film, was a main culprit. That's all a me thing because I don't have anything negative to say about it. I enjoyed watching it, kind of like La Dolce Vita, which is more entertaining, but also longer. The main character is interesting. He doesn't seem to have any connections to anyone and we never learn anything about him. Like the mystery, that's something the average movie would probably explore, but this isn't the average movie. He seems to be mean to women but it comes off as kind of tongue in cheek, like they know he's having fun with them. Or maybe he is mean? I don't know. Pretty cool seeing early Yardbirds, but those weren't the lyrics to Train Kept a Rollin'. Nothing is normal in this film. I like it but it remains a mystery to me. By the way, not to be someone who objectifies women (I am), but that first model was hideous.

I found H-8 fully restored and looks great on YouTube under this title: H-8... (1958) [REMASTERED] It does have subs but I couldn't find that exact video on Roku/YouTube....

Not giving up though!
That's the one I couldn't watch. I was using an iPad and I could only see the subtitles on small screen. I mean I could've watched it but I picked out a different one.

That's the one I couldn't watch. I was using an iPad and I could only see the subtitles on small screen. I mean I could've watched it but I picked out a different one.
That's too bad because the video quality looked 4k. I'm determined to watch that one way or another.

I'm going with the same version CR found of H-8 and had the same issue on Roku. On the computer, it's great, and the few moments I saw have got me hooked, and I will see it by the weekend.

For now, an old favorite I watched in its place:

You see, Adso,
the step between ecstatic vision and sinful frenzy
is all too brief.

Name of the Rose (1986)

A Sherlock Holmes-esque murder mystery set in a monastery during the 14th century, submerged in religious political debate AS WELL AS the threat of the Inquisition. It is filled with exquisite composition and detail, bringing a vivid rendition to the intriguing dialogue, drama, and storytelling.

First off, let's talk about the fantastic ensemble of actors and the sheer depth of their portrayals. Now, in the forefront, a young, naive Christian Slater is Adso, the apprentice to the always extraordinary Sean Connery as the scholarly William von Baskerville. A pair of Franciscan monks initially arrived for a conceptional debate with the Holy Church and the poverty of Christ reflecting the priesthood to discover a growing number of unnatural murders.
(The characters are unique in appearance and persona, wrapped in a dark mixture of the cerebral and visceral aspects of religious theology. I, therefore, MUST add imagery to the following acting highlights beneath.)

The belief that the recent murders is the result of demonic tampering brings the arrival of an Inquisitor, Bernardo Gui (Murray F. Abraham), from William's complex past.

Within a prominent list of scene-stealing performances is one of the most nuanced I have or ever will see by Ron Perlman, along with the leading elder with a vehement hatred of laughter with such colossal presence by Feodor Chaliapin Jr.

Next, with such sublime "still waters," is Micheal Lonsdale, the Abbot of the monastery.

William Hickey is a former mentor of William whose haunting theatrical performance is a sight to witness.

This listing of visual assistance would easily traverse the list of secondary actors, so I will finish with the captivating Valentina Vargas of the peasant girl that captures young Adso's heart. Their silent encounter is one of the most sensually primal and truly sexually intoxicating that I've seen since my first rental of this a few years after its debut and the very numerous times after.

Every rewatch of this has been and continues to be an absolutely joyful viewing experience. SOOO delighted to have it here.

I'm going with the same version CR found of H-8 and had the same issue on Roku...
Sorry you had the same Roku problem but it's good to know it wasn't just me. I'm going to keep trying to work that out and if I can find a solution I'll post it.

H-8

One of the weird quirks I have is to wonder how small, seemingly insignificant things happen and how they can potentially change entire lives. Like, I'll see an accident on the road and think "Geez, that could have been me if I had run that yellow light." H-8 has that element to it and it's that element which makes it so suspenseful. From the opening of the film we know what's going to happen and when, we just don't know to whom it will happen. Filming it this way really amps up the tension. The bulk of the film is getting to know the occupants of the truck, the passengers on the bus, their problems, seeing how small a world it can be and seeing exactly how they end up where they do. I have to wonder if David Lynch was inspired by a few of the shots in this as a few shots reminded me of Lost Highway. This was very good.

Great write-up, @Hey Fredrick. From that image above and your curiosity regarding David Lynch and his film Lost Highway, I'm getting more and more excited about seeing H-8 this weekend!

H-8... (1958) Directed by Nikola Tanhofer, this Yugoslavian drama is based on a true story of a fatal accident involving a bus and a truck. The narrative structure is interesting, as we know from the start of the film there will be an accident, but we don't know which characters will or won't survive. We learn about the characters lives and who they are as the film goes on. I thought the start of the film and the end were both very well done and effective. The film did feel a bit drawn out at times in the middle part though. I thought the performances were pretty good, in that they were believable and felt real. I liked the score and felt it helped add to the drama. The cinematography looked great. I haven't seen any of the director's other films and might not have seen this one, if it had not been nominated. Good nomination!

Blow-Up (1966)
Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni

Good choice for an HoF nom. Blow-Up is interesting on many different levels. I'd never seen it before and I haven't read a thing about it but I'd describe it as Italian New Wave, even though it's a British film. It those non-connected events that float free in the movie that reminded me of the new wave film movement that was going on in France and Italy at the time. With it's vibrancy of life it put me in the mindset of a Fellini film.

You know we're all different in what we respond to in a movie. Some of us are looking for stories that pique the imagination, others are looking for films that give off an emotional resonances that can lift them. Some look for amazing cinematography. Me I often look for acting that transcends the ordinary. Now the acting in this film didn't do that for me, but it did offer something else that I look for in films: set decor. The sets were so visually rich that I just wanted to examine them firsthand. Loved the photographer's studio/apartment and the antique shop was stacked with interesting objects. Even the street scenes were worthy of a Jim Jarmush film. And that rock club with the Yardbirds performing with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, how cool was that! Loved how everyone in the audience stood frozen like statues.

New wave ain't my bag but visually the film hit a sweet spot and like I said it was interesting all the way around.

Blow-Up (1966)
Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni

Good choice for an HoF nom. Blow-Up is interesting on many different levels. I'd never seen it before and I haven't read a thing about it but I'd describe it as Italian New Wave, even though it's a British film. It those non-connected events that float free in the movie that reminded me of the new wave film movement that was going on in France and Italy at the time. With it's vibrancy of life it put me in the mindset of a Fellini film.

You know we're all different in what we respond to in a movie. Some of us are looking for stories that pique the imagination, others are looking for films that give off an emotional resonances that can lift them esoterically. Some look for amazing cinematography. Me I often look for acting that transcends the ordinary. Now the acting in this film didn't do that for me, but it did offer something else that I look for in films: set decor. The sets were so visually rich that I just wanted to examine them firsthand. Loved the photographer's studio/apartment and the antique shop was stacked with interesting objects. Even the street scenes were worthy of Jim Jarmush film. And that rock club with the Yardbirds performing with both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, how cool was that!

New wave ain't my bag but visually the film hit a sweet spot and like I said it was interesting all the way around.
It was a few years since I last watched it and didn't remember it well, so I initially was looking for a copy with subtitles. Even though I already saw it, I thought it was foreign language.

It was a few years since I last watched it and didn't remember it well, so I initially was looking for a copy with subtitles. Even though I already saw it, I thought it was foreign language.
I always thought it was an Italian film, so yeah I was surprised too when I found it I could understand the language.

Blow-Up
By the way, not to be someone who objectifies women (I am), but that first model was hideous.

Yeah I thought so too and so did my wife. It was the model's forehead, very oddly shaped. During the movie I told my wife that model needs hair bangs.

On the flip side I never new Vanessa Redgrave was so attractive when she was young. Don't think I've ever seen her as young as that.

Missing

First time seeing this. I remember when it came out and all of the acclaim, I was 11. I've been interested in seeing it since then but it just never happened. The funny thing is that I thought it was about a missing child, and that Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek were the parents. The age difference never occurred to me, probably since I was so young when I first got this idea, and I still thought it was about a missing child. In fact, a few minutes in I stopped it because I thought I was watching the wrong movie. Oh so it's a guy not a child, and Spacek is the GF, and it's a political film by the guy who made Z. Ok this was not at all what I thought it was, I thought. If I knew it were a political film, I would never had wanted to see it all those years. That has changed over the last 5 years or so as I've seen a lot of good political films, Z among them. Also never knew it was a true story, which I tend to like. Anyway, this was a terrific film that kept me glued throughout. The only scene that I wasn't that fond of was the stadium scene. The political leanings make it still relevant today. I liked how Lemmon learned things about his son that surprised him. Him and Spacek are total pros, hard to go wrong with them. Glad I was finally able to cross this off the list.

+