The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Wow, go away for a bit and end up almost 20 behind!

I've still seen every film on this list, amazingly, and two of my list finally showed up: #80 Step Brothers, which was way near my top, in fact my #2, as I am not sure any film has ever made me laugh more - I cry laughing through and #74 Best in Show, the funniest of the Guest directed movies, in my opinion, and my #12. Both belong much higher on this list - they are far funnier than anything else so far IMO, though this may be where reasonable minds differ on the definition of a comedy. And, I mean "the nice guys"? Come on, man. Loads of fun, but wildly overrated here. I wonder if there's some recency bias at work.

Thoughts on some others:

#85 One, Two, Three (1961): a fun Wilder with some crackerjack dialogue as always, but still a bit surprised it made the list.
#82 The Producers (1967): a hysterical film, glad to see it here - there's much funnier Mel that I expect we'll see much closer to the top - hopefully.
#78 Beetlejuice (1988): A great film often forgot by 80s nostalgia folks. I recently rewatched and it is terrific and extra points for the sandworms.
#76 MASH (1970): I love Altman but man did this not age well - misogyny galore in this and honestly, very few laughs.

Not much to say about the rest except, other than Mean Girls, I never considered any for my list.

I just explained Ed Wood to my brother. I tell him Wood is responsible for Plan 9 from Outer Space. He tells me, "I always get Plan 9 from Outer Space mixed up with 2001: A Space Odyssey "

At least he admits he's a noob.

It seems I've fallen behind:

82. The Producers (1967)
I love me some Mel Brooks comedy, but only some. Not this one, sorry!

81. Wayne’s World (1992)
A fun goof of a movie that didn't make my list, but is pleasantly familiar.

80. Step Brothers (2008)
I haven't seen this one.

79. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
I have a friend who's dad would write occasionally about movies, and she told me that Chevy Chase's agent would sometimes call and plead with him not to be so mean about Chase. Anyway, haven't seen this either; I suspect it's not for me.

78. Beetlejuice (1988)
Wasn't a big fan of this (or Burton in general, with one notable exception). But my son liked it!

77. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
Fun, middle-of-the-road Coen Bros., which ain't bad. Not on my list.

76. MASH (1970)
Altman is tough. Some of his films I love, some I'm just perplexed by. This is closer to the latter, but it probably didn't help that I was steeped in the TV show by the time I saw it.

75. Dazed & Confused (1993)
Not my favorite Linklater, and a different high school experience from my own (in film, Rushmore is much closer), but very enjoyable.

74. Best in Show (2000)
These don't click strongly with me. I thought it was okay, but nothing more.

73. Snatch (2000)
Not bad, but wouldn't have made my list even if I thought of it primarily as a comedy.

72. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
I saw this when it came out, but remember little of it.

71. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
Haven't seen it.

70. The Hangover (2009)
I didn't hate it.

69. The Nice Guys (2016)
Haven't seen it.

68. Ed Wood (1994)
Here's the big Burton exception. I think this is a great comedy and a great film. None (or fewer) of Burton's more annoying quirks, and his sheer delighted embrace of Ed Wood as a filmmaker and a human being just shines through. This was my #22.

67. Mean Girls (2004)
Fun stuff, not on my list.

I just explained Ed Wood to my brother. I tell him Wood is responsible for Plan 9 from Outer Space. He tells me, "I always get Plan 9 from Outer Space mixed up with 2001: A Space Odyssey "

At least he admits he's a noob.

Well, the way he can remember this is that one of them is an all-time science fiction classic, and the other is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Mean Girls is the 3rd to show that I haven't seen, and I usually think that and Clueless are the same movie. One of these mornings I'll send my wife out while I suck down bloody marys and enjoy a toxic femininity double feature.

Seen Ed Wood once and enjoyed it.

70. The Hangover---Parts of this worked. The Mike Tyson cameo. The outtakes. Zach is likable. But it felt more scattershot than it should have. The outtakes shouldn't have been the funniest part of the film.

69. The Nice Guys---Haven't seen.

68. Ed Wood---Haven't seen.

67. Mean Girls---We have another honorable mention! Whether it was the sharp script by Tina Fey (quit trying to make fetch happen) or the talented cast, this is one teen film that holds up pretty well.

List:
x

HMs:
Clueless
Mean Girls

The outtakes shouldn't have been the funniest part of the film.
Outtakes like on the DVD? The end credits didn't feature a gag reel, ala The Cannonball Run. They go through the pictures on the camera that fill in the missing gaps of the moments they didn't remember. Do you mean that sequence of still photos?

WARNING: NSFW
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Shortly after Beetlejuice showed up on the list, it did cross my mind, "should I have considered Ed Wood for my ballot?" It's been so long that without a rewatch I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable to put on my ballot, but still probably ballot-worthy. Or at least ballot-consideration-worthy.

Mean Girls is enjoyable. I'm not surprised to see it on the list. It's not on my ballot. It wasn't in consideration for my ballot.

I like this part from Mean Girls lol shaking them asses while dancing and singing jingle bell rock

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

"Ed Wood" was a late cut for myself. The tie breaker was seeing more of a doco/drama here than a comedy. I'd put this in "Fargo" territory as far as the genre at hand. Very deserving to be here though and a great film. My second favorite Burton after "Big Fish".

Loved the first half of "Mean Girls", then felt it go a little flat. But I did like the casting, especially Amanda Seyfried! Neither made my ballot.

Mean Girls was surprisingly good.

I loved Ed Wood when it came out. It was a unique and quirky treatment of one of the most eccentric people in 1950's Hollywood, which is itself full of eccentric people.

Although it has some humorous portions, I've never felt it to be a comedy. If one is already familiar with the Ed Wood story, then the focus is on the superb acting by Martin Landau (as Bela Lugosi), and to a lesser extent Johnny Depp (as Ed Wood).

Ed Wood is one of those pictures that come along once in awhile that doesn't get its just attention early on, but that later gets a lot of love. The picture is not altogether factual, but it certainly draws in the viewer to the two leads.

If the list was Most Bizarre Thing You've Seen, Hausu would be top 5 easy. But I never really considered it for comedy.

Saw Stripes a decade or two ago. Thought it was alright, but not quite enough to make it as an honorable mention.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure was fairly good. Some inventiveness at times and it was nice to see Burton not succumb to the darkness for once. But not quite enough for my list.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
Although those who've seen it know that the Alamo has no basement.

40 Year Old Virgin had a few decent moments (the waxing, the climax), but too many dead spaces and some cringey dialogue at times. At least Carell was likable throughout.

Faildictions:

88. Freddy (I think it only takes a couple of voters who loved it for it to make the list).
87. Father of the Bride (Spencer Tracy version)

It's funny what you said about Stripes...watched a director's cut about a year ago. This film hasn't aged well, not nearly as funny I as I recalled.

I love both Ed Wood and Mean Girls, I haven't seen Ed Wood since it first came out. It's probably time for a re-view. Everytime I pass a TV and Mean Girls is on it always draws me in and never fails to entertain.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Ed Wood, but I don't think of it as a comedy. It's more of a quirky biography in my mind.

I watched Mean Girls for the 2000s Countdown. It was okay, but not really my type of movie.