Terrible 80's Movies

Tools    

Goddess of the Pacific
when i had insomnia, i used to watch USA's Up All Night, where they showed some of the most wretched movies ever made. there were two movies i saw that i can't remember the names of, that i'm dying to track down.

1. kathy ireland was in this movie looking for her father, who was some sort of scientist and found another world underground.

2. i can't even recall who was in this movie, but it was set in the future, and it had this guy with a a ponytail...i think he was an android...and he was a paid lover or prostitute or something like that, and he ended up falling for some blonde girl he got involved with.

i know these references are totally limited and obscure, but i remember really liking the movies for some reason (i was probably desperate for sleep!), and i'd really like to find out the names.

Originally Posted by oncekitten
1. Kathy Ireland was in this movie looking for her father, who was some sort of scientist and found another world underground.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1989), a very loose re-working of the Jules Verne classic that is a sort of sequel to the not-so-classic Alien from L.A. (1988). Ireland's part is only a cameo, reprising her role from the '88 flick.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by oceankitty
2. I can't even recall who was in this movie, but it was set in the future, and it had this guy with a a ponytail...I think he was an android...and he was a paid lover or prostitute or something like that, and he ended up falling for some blonde girl he got involved with.
And though all the deatils in your description don't exactly jibe, you may be thinking of Making Mr. Right (1987), with John Malkovich as a robot who falls in love in a near-future romatic comedy from the director of Desperately Seeking Susan.

Goddess of the Pacific
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And though all the deatils in your description don't eactly jibe, you may be thinking of Making Mr. Right (1987), with John Malkovich as a robot who falls in love in a near-future romatic comedy from the director of Desperately Seeking Susan.

it's not Making Mr. Right...i actually know that movie. but thank you for reminding me! that's another wretched mess i'd like to pick up. no, the one i'm thinking of, the protagonist had longish dark hair in a ponytail, and penchant for puffy poet shirts. i vaguely remember a sequal being made as well, but i'm not sure.

I hope its from the 80s, but i want to express my dislike for He-Man Masters of the Universe....(seen John Woo is set to direct a new one?)

I personaly didnt like any of the beverely hills cop after the first one.

May The Forks be With Us
HEY HEY HEY!!!! AREN"T WE FORGETING FERRIS BUELLERS DAY OFF and RETURN OF THE JEDI!!! what is wrong with you people. it wasnt all bad. And i think Lethal Weapon was made back then and those were great movies

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Tell you what. I really enjoy eighties films. I haven't seen many bad ones.
Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Robocop, Terminator, Predator, Breakfast Club, Something Wild, Lost Boys, Aliens, Empire & Jedi, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Enemy Mine, Das Boot, Batman, Ladyhawke, Blues Brothers, Hitcher...it's all good. Conan the Barbarian was great. Conan the Destroyer was a dissapointment, so I guess there's one bad one.
Robocop 2 was garbage, that's two.
Predator 2, that's three.
Battle For Endor sucked.
Krull was strange.
Rocky 3 and above are krud.
Rambo was good, part 2 and above blow.
The Dead Pool wasn't altogether bad, it just wasn't a true Dirty Harry.
MAD MAX Beyond Thunderdome, need I say why?
Last but not least the worst 80s flick I have seen so far is.....*drumroll*...

Jaws 3!! What a blasphemy.

"Yo, she bitch..let's go.."

I'll admit the title of the thread is potentially deceptive, but this wasn't meant to be a rant about or list of horrible '80s movies, nor would it call for a defense of the decade's cinema. The original post was asking about two specific cheesy Z-grade '80s flicks that he remembered fondly in spite of their wretchedness and wanted to track down again.

But, who bothers to read posts anyway?

Originally Posted by oceankitten
when i had insomnia, i used to watch USA's Up All Night
Not that you're going to come back here and read this, but I used to watch USA's Up All Night every Friday night when I was around 9-10. I loved Rhonda Shear! I wrote her several times because she always gave out her address, and once she sent a picture, and another time she sent an actual handwritten letter!

Oh, the memories. Why can't Up All Night still be on (not that I could watch it - don't have cable now) with Rhonda Shear, who should live forever like an immortal vampire?

Anyway, back to more important threads.

Tom Waits is the true GOD
I will sometimes catch a movie on TV from the 80's that I loved as a kid; Blazing Saddles, History of the world, Gremlins, Rambo, Red Dawn.....and I think, WOW these movies actually SUCKED!
Then I'll see others that withstood the test of time like E.T., Back to the future trilogy, Weird science, Breakfast club...... and I think, MAN, it's too bad they don't make movies like they used to.

My life isn't written very well.
Yeah, shame they don't make movies like Weird Science anymore...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

double dragon but i dont know wether thats from the 80's

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Not that you're going to come back here and read this, but I used to watch USA's Up All Night every Friday night when I was around 9-10. I loved Rhonda Shear! I wrote her several times because she always gave out her address, and once she sent a picture, and another time she sent an actual handwritten letter!

Oh, the memories. Why can't Up All Night still be on (not that I could watch it - don't have cable now) with Rhonda Shear, who should live forever like an immortal vampire?

Anyway, back to more important threads.
I think I remember seeing this with Gilbert Gottfreid, perhaps in the later stages of Up All Night as it was nearing its demise.

Ah, Rhonda Shear, she was like Elvira for sophisticates.

If we're all mentioning great 80's films, I have to mention Kickboxer. Also, the F/X series, since I recently saw them on TV.

Originally Posted by eyeballkid
I will sometimes catch a movie on TV from the 80's that I loved as a kid; Blazing Saddles, History of the world, Gremlins, Rambo, Red Dawn...
Blazing Saddles was made in the early 70's.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by oceankitten

1. kathy ireland was in this movie looking for her father, who was some sort of scientist and found another world underground.
I have actually seen that one!!!!

Alien from L.A.

It was wretched. and Kathy Irelands voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Eventually, this film appeared on MST3K. (I miss that show....)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hated these...

My Movie Poster Blog