Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Maltese Faclon (1941)

Good story, bad characters (mostly)

I didn't find any of the major characters in this appealing. No, that's not true. The one character I actually liked was Bogart's secretary, a no nonsense woman who's the only one that seems able to be on the same level as Bogart and acctually talks back to him. The rest of the cast is one unlikable role after another culminating with Bogart's character. Sam Spade seemed like an unemotional douch all the way to the end, where he did the right thing simply because the script called for it. The story as such wasn't bad, a simple enough story but told well. If this is what noir is in a nutshell, I think I'll see a few more.
Noir is very diversified. The Maltese Falcon is a very early noir film and the latter ones might be more to your taste. Here's a list of the noir movies that were nominated in the Film Noir Hof. They're all very good and worth watch, check a few of these out.

Scarlet Street (Fritz Lang, 1945)
The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks, 1946)
The Killers (Robert Siodmak, 1946)
Kansas City Confidential (Phil Karlson, 1952)
I Confess (Alfred Hitchcock, 1953)
Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich, 1955)
The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan, 1957)
Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My Night At Maud's - 8/10

Very good movie. The deviousness annoyed me; the redundant elephant in the room (sex or love) as well as the constant theme of religion (pro or con).

I graded the previous movie higher, because there was no love interest, no hurdles, just a conversation, even though one of the characters was so annoying, and I like a movie more if I like a character, but there was a character in this movie that I couldn't stand (deviousness) but when she was out of the picture, and when she lost, I thought better of it.

If I would have watched this one first, I might have flip-flopped the grade. I always grade minutes after the movie ends, so maybe real-life has a role in grading.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Soy Cuba

Kalatozov was a genius. I don't think this particular film reaches the cinematographic perfection of Letter Never Sent, but this is still one of the most exquisitely photographed films I've ever seen. The camera itself is a physical presence.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Noir is very diversified. The Maltese Falcon is a very early noir film and the latter ones might be more to your taste. Here's a list of the noir movies that were nominated in the Film Noir Hof. They're all very good and worth watch, check a few of these out.

Thank you, I will. I think the old man has 'Touch of evil', so that's probably up next. Will keep my eyes out for the rest of them.

No Country for Old Men (2007)

The only part I didn't like was the ending which didn't answer questions raised nor worked as a release of tension that was maintained throughout and felt unsatisfactory. Otherwise it was a solid thriller.

Eye in the Sky (2015)

Don't get mistaken by how it appears because it is more like courtroom drama/thriller than war film.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Thank you, I will. I think the old man has 'Touch of evil', so that's probably up next. Will keep my eyes out for the rest of them.
There's also Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, The Third Man, In a Lonely Place, etc, if you are looking for great noirs!

There's also Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, The Third Man, In a Lonely Place, etc, if you are looking for great noirs!
Seems like I'll have to make a list. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Actually, I think I should make a master list, bringing together all my watchlists under a more manageble overview.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Invasion of the Saucer Men

This was recommended by Rodent and it didn't disappoint me. It was a fun movie to watch and it's short runtime made it all the better. I liked the premise and concept of this film. It was a really fun movie.

+

Touch of Evil is a great film. Watch it now!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

The Bridge at Remagen (1969)
+
Those opening tank scenes sure were fast. Not a bad war film. Glad I saw it.

Very true! Those are are great noirs
Here's the full list from the first Noir Hof.

In A Lonely Place (1950)
The Third Man (1949)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Laura (1944)
Sunset Blvd (1950)
Out of the Past (1947)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
Pickup On South Street (1953)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
The Set-Up (1949)
The Big Combo (1955)
The Wrong Man (1956)
The Lady from Shanghai(1947)

Very true! Those are are great noirs
Here's the full list from the first Noir Hof.

In A Lonely Place (1950)
The Third Man (1949)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Laura (1944)
Sunset Blvd (1950)
Out of the Past (1947)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
Pickup On South Street (1953)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
The Set-Up (1949)
The Big Combo (1955)
The Wrong Man (1956)
The Lady from Shanghai(1947)
Sweet, will add these to the list.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Hitch-Hiker - 7/10

Fine movie. Wish there was some more understanding between the hiker.. Maybe even some empathy. Still very good.
The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

The Hitch-Hiker (USA, 1953, Ida Lupino) -

Decent thriller. The soundtrack and the acting is great.
The Hitch-Hiker (1953)

It was a good, easy and short watch. I liked the villain. In retrospect, the main characters should have stopped and made time for "senoritas".

Suicide Club (2001)

Teens are committing mass suicide in Japan, and the police want to know why. This movie gets a little weird for me at times, and some of the blood spray is over the top. It's still rather sickening to watch, and that opening scene is one I'll remember.