The Horror Fanatic's Top 150 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

137. Jason Goes to Hell

This is easily the most underrated chapter of the Friday the 13th franchise.
The exploits of Jason Voorhees have never been particularly interesting to me, and the thing I love most about Jason Goes to Hell is that it brings something different to the series. It was fun seeing different actors playing the part throughout the film. Also, to me most of the films in this series are about creative death scenes, and JGTH delivers on that in a big way. At least, it does if you watch the unrated cut. I've seen the killing scenes in the R rated version, and it's easy to understand why many were underwhelmed by the picture.
There is one other Jason movie coming up on my list, and hopefully more people will agree with that one. No, it's not Jason X. My taste isn't that atrocious.

Bonus Fav #2: Man Bites Dog

Yes, I mentioned this highly respected film in the same post as one of the most hated Jason movies. That's just how I roll.
There isn't much to say that I haven't already covered in my review for this film. If you haven't read my review, Man Bites Dog is a mockumentary about a film crew following the exploits of a charismatic serial killer. It has some fun scenes, but it's also more disturbing than I expected.
I don't know if this would have been in my top ten as it was for honeykid, but if I'd waited a little longer to compile this list it would have had a spot on here for sure.

Man Bites Dog is one of my favorite horrors, even though I consider it more of a black comedy. And yes has plenty of disturbing scenes.

Let the night air cool you off
I've never cared to see Jason Goes to Hell, but I'll go ahead and add it to my massive watchlist. This list is causing my watchlist to grow exponentially.

I love horror movies, but for some reason, I never got into the Friday the 13th series. I do think Jason is a cool villain but I don't know one from another or even have any idea how many I've seen. Man Bites Dog is on my to see list.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
I love horror movies, but for some reason, I never got into the Friday the 13th series. I do think Jason is a cool villain but I don't know one from another or even have any idea how many I've seen. Man Bites Dog is on my to see list.

Same here. I could never get into Friday the 13th either, I watched one where a doctor eat Jason's heart and turned into a killer .

Several of these films I've never seen and sound interesting, some I've added to my watch list. The Hitcher is a favorite of mine. Still need to watch 9 and 10 in Jason series. The Third has always been a favorite, the ending in particular. Great list.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't care for Creepshow, but Romero's Martin is one of the most interesting vampire movies out there. You should see just for the concept alone, but the quality is certainly there.

Same here. I could never get into Friday the 13th either, I watched one where a doctor eat Jason's heart and turned into a killer .
That's actually Jason Goes to Hell lol.
Several of these films I've never seen and sound interesting, some I've added to my watch list. The Hitcher is a favorite of mine. Still need to watch 9 and 10 in Jason series. The Third has always been a favorite, the ending in particular. Great list.
Why, thank you
I still need to see Friday the 13th 6 myself. I've always loved horror comedies.
I don't care for Creepshow, but Romero's Martin is one of the most interesting vampire movies out there. You should see just for the concept alone, but the quality is certainly there.
I'll check that out sometime.

144. The Monster Hunter, aka Natural Selection

rofl I remember renting this from blockbuster as a kid. I figured it was some Men in Black kind of thing, I was pretty disappointed.

I lost interest in the Jason movies after 4. Never made it to Jason in NY or Goes to Hell. Jason just was not as cool to me as Michael Myers ans Freddy Kruger.
i'm starting to like my decision to pass on the Friday the 13th franchise.. i mean, i'm sure i'd get something out of viewing them.. but i figure i'd inadvertantly be comparing them to the original Halloween and original Nightmare on Elm Street movie constantly.. and how they just don't quite measure up. which wouldn't really make for enjoyable viewings (for me)

i'm starting to like my decision to pass on the Friday the 13th franchise.. i mean, i'm sure i'd get something out of viewing them.. but i figure i'd inadvertantly be comparing them to the original Halloween and original Nightmare on Elm Street movie constantly.. and how they just don't quite measure up. which wouldn't really make for enjoyable viewings (for me)
I have not seen these movies in years, but I remember so more from Halloween and the Nightmare on Elm Street movies then I do from the Friday the 13th movies.

136. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead

Troma doesn't always do comedy, but when they do, they go all the way.
Poultrygeist is non-stop absurdity. The acting is terrible, the plot has more holes than a man losing a fight with a machine gun, a zombie wishes to be a princess...I love it. The special effects in this were as cheap as they could possibly be, too - they were done for free, because that's how passionate people were about the picture. The fact that it was a labor of love makes it all the more special.
This is truly is the greatest chicken zombie horror musical ever made. Speaking of music, the theme song freaking rocks. Go look it up now, and lose yourself to the cheesetacular epicness that is Poultrygeist.

your list makes me want to do a horror movies marathon

There is one other Jason movie coming up on my list, and hopefully more people will agree with that one. No, it's not Jason X. My taste isn't that atrocious.
Jason X is the best Friday film, followed by Friday VI.

135. Secret Window

"I will burn your life and every person in it like a cane field in a high wind."
Gives me goosebumps every time.
With Johnny Depp playing cartoon characters in just about every film he's in lately, it's movies like this which remind me that he can act. John Turturro gives a fantastic performance as John Shooter, too. Forget Transformers, forget every Adam Sandler film he's been in, forget the Jesus. This is a far, far cry from all the silly stuff he's done. The closest thing I can think of to compare him to is Robin Williams from One Hour Photo.
Besides the terrific performances, I think this is one of the best and most underrated Stephen King adaptations. The dialogue matches that in the novella word for word. They changed the ending up a bit, but I prefer the movie ending. I guess I'm a sick bastard.