Best / Worst Commentaries.

Tools    

I've listeind to the LOTR casr commentaries on the extended editions of Two Towers and Fellowship. I am now waiting for Return of the King. Also llisteined to Roger Ebert on Citizen Kane plus the cast of Jackass on the Jackass movie.. Oh and Mallrats! I have yet to watch more!

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Herod
"Now the, uhhh... the beard in this scene... It's really big. And I remember having to fight with ummmm.... who was that?"
"That was... Phil, I think"
"Yeah. Yeah it was Phil. I... We fought about the beard thing. Now that I see it, though... I think maybe he might've been right."

Still, you're an idiot to wholly dismiss commentaries. It's insight into the process of creation.
If you set aside Herod's obnoxiousness, he has a really good point. Even when they're dull, commentaries can be informative.

The best I've heard were on Le Passion de Jeanne d'Arc and Aguirre, Wrath of God, because both have such interesting stories behind the making of the films.

The least informative, but the funniest I've heard was the Forever Young commentary on Blood Simple. It's more entertaining than some films I've seen.

The commentary on Blade 2 with Guillermo Del Toro is very interesting as well as funny.

I am a glorified ape.
My favorite commentary was on the Night of the Living Dead remake directed by Tom Savini. Savini talks about how the special effects and stunts were pulled off. It was pretty keen to a horror nerd like me who's always saying "How'd they do that?"

The worst commentary I've heard was Resevoir Dogs. I didn't listen to the whole thing because it was so boring. There were a bunch of people talking, and I didn't know who any of them were (I didn't hear any of the actors or Tarantino)...and it was difficult to follow but they seemed to mainly be talking about how the movie got produced... like the money problems they were having. Who cares? I want to hear about what movies Tarantino ripped off to make the film. I want to hear about how hard it is to wash fake blood off of your skin. Weee!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by kevinkelly
The worst commentary I've heard was Resevoir Dogs. I didn't listen to the whole thing because it was so boring. There were a bunch of people talking, and I didn't know who any of them were (I didn't hear any of the actors or Tarantino)
Yup the RD commentary is pretty poor - I think it falls into the catagory of "a bunch of people watching a few scenes from a movie then being edited so they appear to be in the same room" - Scorsese seems found of this method.

If you're a Horror fan, check out the Evil Dead and The Omen commentaries. The latter is particularly good with Dick Donner and his editor forgetting they're being recorded for 5 minutes and the director starts moaning about trying to raise funding for his latest movie.

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
If you're a Horror fan, check out the Evil Dead and The Omen commentaries. The latter is particularly good with Dick Donner and his editor forgetting they're being recorded for 5 minutes and the director starts moaning about trying to raise funding for his latest movie.
cool, thanks... i will. does it matter which version of Evil Dead it is? Like... I know there's the regular release and then the one with the squishy Book of the Dead cover.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by kevinkelly
cool, thanks... i will. does it matter which version of Evil Dead it is? Like... I know there's the regular release and then the one with the squishy Book of the Dead cover.
No sign of a squishy cover here - it's the R2 uncut version on Anchor Bay.

The best are on any Robert Rodriguez, Kevin Smith or Trey Parker DVD...

The worst... I really hated the commentaries on both Anchorman discs.