Recommendation thread.

Tools    

The Corner is fantastic Monno . I only watched it because it was short and it was from David Simon but it is now one of my favourite miniseries.
Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen it, but it's one of those shows that sticks with you.

Do it anyway. Even if you didn't like them, someone else might.
Nah. I can't do that to people.

Insidious 1 , 2 & 3 - horror
Paranormal Activity 1 to 6 - horror
Now You See Mee 1 & 2 - Comedy,Magic,Action
Zombie Land - Comedy,Action

OK

Les liaisons dangereuses (1959)

Hunger (1966)

Payday (1973)

Under the Volcano (1984)

Eye of God (1997)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

I've watched TONS of movies via recommendation, so if you have recommendations for me, chances are I will watch them.. Soon!
the passion of joan of arc
criticker

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Thanks Nemanja, I will get on that!

Thanks Inmate - I've been meaning to watch it for a few years, just having trouble finding it. I think I can find it now.

"Hunger" and "Payday" sound VERY interesting.. I found "Hunger" on youtube, but no subtitles.. Can't seem to find "Payday" -- if anyone has tips, you can send me a private message.

(wish I didn't have a migraine

Animation:
Hair High (2004) (Dir. Bill Plympton)
  • A gothic '50s high-school comedy about a love-triangle that goes terribly bad, as two young, murdered teens returning to their prom to get revenge.

Documentary: Black Tar Heroin: The Dark End of the Street (2000) (Dir. Steven Okazaki)
  • This documentary follows the lives of a number of heroin addicts in the U.S.A. It shows their heroin life stories.

Drama:
Distant (2002) (Dir. Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
  • After his wife leaves him, a photographer has an existential crisis and tries to cope with his cousin's visit.

Dramedy:
The Color Wheel (2011) (Dir. Alex Ross Perry)
  • JR has broken up with her professor. She enlists her nervous and obnoxious younger brother Colin to take a short road trip in order to help move out her belongings.

Horror:
The Devil (1972) (Dir. Andrzej Zulawski)
  • During the Prussian army's invasion to Poland in 1793, a young Polish nobleman Jakub is saved from the imprisonment by a stranger who wants in return to obtain a list of Jakub's fellow conspirators. Following his mysterious saviour across the country, Jakub sees the overall chaos and moral corruption that has befallen his family in his absence.

Comedy:
Stalag 17 (1953) (Dir. Billy Wilder)
  • When two escaping American World War II prisoners are killed, the German POW camp barracks black marketeer, J.J. Sefton, is suspected of being an informer.

“I was cured, all right!”
Comedy : Evil Dead II (hehe that's a real good comedy)
Drama/Romance: The Lake House
Drama: Sonatine
Animation: Ghost in the Shell and Akira
Horror: The Exorcist
Sci-Fi: The Matrix
Thriller: Reservoir Dogs
Documentary: Cowspiracy
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings (of course)
TV series: Prison Break

Matt, I heard you mention Dalton Trumbo the other day. Have you see the movie? And the documentary?

The documentary it's much different than the movie. It has a lot of his personal letters being read and I discovered he was a man of deep principal and that's why he wouldn't testify in the House Un-American hearings, resulting in his black listing and becoming a ghost writer.

The movie which is good, makes it look like he was more interested in working for money. I recommend to you the documentary I think you would really like it.

Trumbo (2007)

Matt, I heard you mention Dalton Trumbo the other day. Have you see the movie? And the documentary?

The documentary it's much different than the movie. It has a lot of his personal letters being read and I discovered he was a man of deep principal and that's why he wouldn't testify in the House Un-American hearings, resulting in his black listing and becoming a ghost writer.

The movie which is good, makes it look like he was more interested in working for money. I recommend to you the documentary I think you would really like it.

Trumbo (2007)
Yes I did see this.. My favorite part of the movie was when Louis C.K. said something to that effect, about being a rich guy.

I think it's better than the movie as well

Ray Carney Recommends:

http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/indievision/other.shtml

Basic training:
Vince Gallo, Buffalo 66
Tom Noonan, What Happened Was, The Wife (Noonan is the greatest living American director)
Ken Loach, Raining Stones
Su Friedrich, Sink or Swim, Rules of the Road
Gillian Armstrong, My Brilliant Career, The Last Days of Chez Nous
Charles Burnett, Killer of Sheep, To Sleep with Anger
Caveh Zahedi, A Little Stiff
Mike Leigh, Abigail's Party, High Hopes, Life is Sweet, The Short and Curlies
Sean Penn, Indian Runner
John Korty, The Crazy Quilt, Funnyman, Riverrun
Shirley Clarke, Portrait of Jason
Les Blair, Bad Behavior
Alison Anders, Gas, Food, Lodging
Elaine May, The Heartbreak Kid, Mikey and Nicky
John Cassavetes, Shadows, Minnie and Moskowitz, A Woman Under the Influence
Jane Spencer, Little Noises
Claudia Weill, Girlfriends
Harry Hook, The Kitchen Toto
Michael Almareyda, Another Girl, Another Planet, The Rocking Horse Winner, Sundance
Milton Moses Ginsberg, Coming Apart
Jim Jarmusch, Stranger than Paradise, Mystery Train

Strictly for the more daring:
Bruce Conner, Marilyn Times Five, Report, A Movie, The Rose
Todd Haynes, Safe, Superstar
Edmund Elias Merhige, Begotten
David Blair, Wax, The Discovery of Television Among the Bees
Mark Rappaport, The Scenic Route, Local Color
Alan Clarke, Rita, Sue and Bob Too, or anything else you can get by him
John Cassavetes, Faces, Husbands, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night, Love Streams
Michael Almereyda, Twister, Another Girl, Another Planet
Jon Jost, Bell Diamond, Last Chants for a Slow Dance
Mike Leigh, Bleak Moments, Meantime, Grown Ups, Kiss of Death, Hard Labor
Robert Kramer, Ice, Milestones, Route One, Starting Point
Barbara Loden, Wanda
Paul Morrissey, Trash, Flesh
Rick Schmidt, Morgan's Cake
Michael Radford, Another Time, Another Place
Richard Lowenstein, Dogs in Space
Thomas Vinterberg, The Celebration
Lars von Trier, Breaking the Waves

Documentary: Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father - As someone who doesn't enjoy documentaries this one is engaging 100% of the time.

Horror: The Strangers - somewhat by the numbers slasher/home invasion type movie yet it deeply disturbed me, one of my all time favorites.

Comedy - The Nice Guys - Seems to have flew beneath peoples radars, this Shane Black ''Crime Thriller'' has some good comedy throughout while also having an engaging narrative

TV - STRANGER THINGS. A blast from the past, nostalgia done right. One of my absolute favorite shows of all time, 8 episodes on Netflix won't take too much investment from you.

Drama - No Country For Old Men - Also describable as a crime/thriller. You've probably seen this. But if you haven't you're missing out on the finer things in life.

Who knows - The Grand Budapest Hotel - A comedy? Drama? Adventure film? Who knows, this movie is weird but engaging for every minute.

Animation - Up - Still probably Pixars best just above Wall-E, Monsters Inc and the Incredibles.

Most of these titles are nothing you haven't heard of or seen but you should watch them again anyway.

Watch horror movies much?
Yeah I'm a real horror buff actually, I guess you can chalk it up as a guilty pleasure or I just had a fun time with those I saw it with so it has a nostalgic rose color glasses deal going on with it.