Fan Edits: Your Favorites and Why?

Tools    

Most Fan Edits leave something to be desired. I guess professionals know what they're doing. Even so, there is interesting material on the internet.

You'll never get to see Jodoworski's DUNE, for example, but you can still watch this three-hour cut of DUNE on YouTube.

Self promotion!!

While it's rough and meant to be a proof of concept experiment, I'm pleased with the outcome of my Star Wars: Neon Noir prequel fan edit turned out. The response has been largely positive and somehow, it's never been taken down fully.

Self promotion!!

While it's rough and meant to be a proof of concept experiment, I'm pleased with the outcome of my Star Wars: Neon Noir prequel fan edit turned out. The response has been largely positive and somehow, it's never been taken down fully.

If this were a Star Trek edit, I don't think you'd be so lucky.

Similar idea here.

If this were a Star Trek edit, I don't think you'd be so lucky.

Similar idea here.

Hey, seems like we inspired an imitator. Neat.

Hey, seems like we inspired an imitator. Neat.

It is strikingly similar to your cut. If this is not a direct appropriation, it must have been an idea vibrating rather strongly as a "solution". If I had to guess, I'd say this person saw yours and decided to cut from the same angle.

Not sure what they were going for there. I'd be more impressed if they'd cropped it to 4:3 and added iris effects and stuff. And a piano score.

(-said the guy that's never attempted a fan edit)

PS-when I saw the thread title I clicked with the intention of posting your Batman thing.

EDIT: that last sentence was directed at MKS, if that wasn't clear. I'm a big fan of MKS's Batman Thing, is what I'm trying to say.

It is strikingly similar to your cut. If this is not a direct appropriation, it must have been an idea vibrating rather strongly as a "solution". If I had to guess, I'd say this person saw yours and decided to cut from the same angle.
I had numerous people contact me asking if it was okay if they used some of my ideas for their own edits (most said they would keep Williams' score). As it isn't my property or music to begin with, I don't feel a great degree of ownership so I hope it was one of them. If so, I do wish they'd sent it to me themselves.

But feels a bit bananas to see something come over a year after mine with a similar approach.

Not sure what they were going for there. I'd be more impressed if they'd cropped it to 4:3 and added iris effects and stuff. And a piano score.

(-said the guy that's never attempted a fan edit)

PS-when I saw the thread title I clicked with the intention of posting your Batman thing.

EDIT: that last sentence was directed at MKS, if that wasn't clear. I'm a big fan of MKS's Batman Thing, is what I'm trying to say.
I couldn't decide which one to post and went with my more successful one.

I think Batman & Robin '66 is easily the more successful of the two, if I can toot my own horn a bit.

And if you ever get the impulse to share my stuff, please do! It can brighten deadening day of work and exhaustion.

I couldn't decide which one to post and went with my more successful one.

I think Batman & Robin '66 is easily the more successful of the two, if I can toot my own horn a bit.

And if you ever get the impulse to share my stuff, please do! It can brighten deadening day of work and exhaustion.

Hmm, this makes Clooney Batman not suck. Strange...

Hmm, this makes Clooney Batman not suck. Strange...
Make sure to watch pt. 2!

WARNING: spoilers below
I think neither Clooney nor the movie actually suck. I didn't so much recontextualize the film but made its aspirations more overt and clear. Aside from the scenes where I go in an absurd, nigh Tim and Eric direction, I didn't change nearly as much as people think. Roughly half the horn sounds were in the original B&R soundtrack!

WARNING: spoilers below
I think neither Clooney nor the movie actually suck. I didn't so much recontextualize the film but made its aspirations more overt and clear. Aside from the scenes where I go in an absurd, nigh Tim and Eric direction, I didn't change nearly as much as people think. Roughly half the horn sounds were in the original B&R soundtrack!
This is what I admire the most about it. It works as a spot-on homage to the series but also serves the second purpose of making a case for the film. To this day I haven't seen B&R and have previously had no desire to, but this has made me rethink that and it will definitely influence my opinion of it when I finally do.

The "blow hot - blow cold" bit is gold, by the way.

This is what I admire the most about it. It works as a spot-on homage to the series but also serves the second purpose of making a case for the film. To this day I haven't seen B&R and have previously had no desire to, but this has made me rethink that and it will definitely influence my opinion of it when I finally do.

The "blow hot - blow cold" bit is gold, by the way.
Thanks! Basically, I binged the '66 show and rewatched B&R because some things had piqued my interest: frequently casting Freeze with German actors, constant ice puns, stealing diamonds, etc. On that rewatch, it all just clicked into place just how much Schumacher had pulled from that version of Batman and just how faithful he was in most regards. If anything, it's the remaining pieces of Burton DNA that create a dissonance that are its biggest issues. Not that Burton wasn't highly influenced by the show either, Batman Returns is almost a gothic remake of the Hizzoner Dizzoner 2 parter where Penguin runs for Mayor.

That was one of the gags that gave me the giggles while putting it together. If I'm making myself chuckle, I know I'm in the right ballpark.

is only fan edits of movies? or the tv shows? cause i know tv shows has best fan edits better then movie fan edits

Sure, throw in.

it all just clicked into place just how much Schumacher had pulled from that version of Batman and just how faithful he was in most regards. If anything, it's the remaining pieces of Burton DNA that create a dissonance that are its biggest issues.
That makes sense.
In hindsight my timing was just off for that entire series. I wasn't hip to Burton until well after Returns came out, and by the time the last two came out I was in college and not really paying attention anymore. So I managed to see 1 & 3 in theaters, rented 2 many years later and never got around to 4. I wonder how I'd feel about them if I hadn't seen them all until now.

ps--I now own 1&2 on bluray and am a pretty big fan of those. Haven't seen 3 since '95.

A teacher wanted to show 2001 a space odyssey to his pupils so cut the movie to 1hour. It is seen a sacrilege by some, and rightly so - BUT it's great that young people may be introduced to this kind of film that maybe they otherwise wouldn't have:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/co...space_odyssey/

Also, there's a new edit of Eyes Wide Shut. Some guy seems to have dedicated alot of time to it:

https://www.eyeswidecut.com/