Get to know you?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What would your reaction be if Hollywood announced they were going to remake Citizen Kane. They will also be incorporating some CGI to certain aspects of the film rather than using physical props and locations in order to save money?
Great idea, but only if Cage was to play Kane!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hi Rhys!

I'll play. I've been a MoFo now for almost 14 years. It's my internet 'home'. I wander away often, but I always come back. it's a special place.

I was born in NY but live in Texas. Moved here when my dad was transferred in 1980 (I was 13). I have a wife (highschool sweetheart, married 26 years) and 2 kids (18 & 22). My wife is from Iran so I can understand Farsi and occasionally try to speak it though my tongue is not oft up for those kind of acrobatics.

I went to school initially to be a cop but didn't finish because it wasn't authentic for me. I always worked at art projects so I ended up finishing in graphics/fine art. Tried to get a job in that field, and was offered one at a big agency, but didn't take it because I was making more money as a PM for the construction co I was working at. Eventually got into CAD (for my job) and learned how to link it up to databases and then learned how databases work which led me to my current job (CAD/DBA at HP). Been here for 14 years.

I love stories, folk tales, legends, myths etc and have a voracious appetite for studying those subjects. I also love unsolved cases, mysteries etc. I get rather obsessive about some them (Zodiac, Helter Skelter, Black Dahlia etc). I find things of the eldritch most appealing but not because I'm a fan of 'evil' but rather because I enjoy exploring duality.

I'm a firm believer in Meyers Briggs and in most of Carl Jung's works. I test as INFP which means I'm naturally not a logical sort but I do make a living in a field that heavily involves mathematics (go figure).

I haven't drawn or painted anything in quite some time though I do make scarecrows every fall to freak the kiddies out in my neighborhood. Halloween is my favorite holiday. Always has been.

When I was five years old we lived on 250 acres of old farm land in the country. One day, I was standing by the burn barrel and I picked a shaft of dry wheat and stuck it in the fire. I thought it would be neat to transfer that flame to another stalk of wheat and did just that. Unfortunately, that second stalk was attached to about 100 acres of other dry stalks and before I could grasp what was happening I was looking at a wall of flames. Half the county showed up with brooms to beat the fire down. I learned how one stupid move from a single person can indeed wreak havoc. I woke up in terror nearly every night for about 6 years after that convinced that the house was on fire.

I've never seen a ghost but I am fascinated by the idea of them. I'm also fascinated by the fact that most of my credible friends have a personal ghost story or some unexplained event to share. I'm very skeptical on this subject but do find it consistently amongst my intellectual pursuits. I became very interested in the Amityville Horror case and even had some correspondence with George Lutz before he passed away. There are, to this day, facts unknown bubbling up to the surface with regard to that story.

Favorite genre is horror. No surprise probably.
Cheap scares and gore don't do it for me. I have to make a psychological connection to a film. I like atmospheric horror & psychological horror best. I've reviewed a bunch of stuff I like. Links in signature.

Back to work. Nice thread, btw.

Addition:
My name is Matt. When I was a kid my dad used to drink a wine called Mateuse. He started calling me Mattoose which eventually evolved into toose. It's my dad's nickname for me. The 'Sir' part is obviously deserved
That was a VERY interesting post! Thanks for sharing that Matt. I may have to read up a little on the Amityvile murder case myself as it is something I have heard of but not read much about.

Master of My Domain
Hi, my name is Gatsby on this joint, and I'm 23 yrs old. Been here for around 9 months, I've been an addict since day one, so that's why I keep posting here. Normally I have a short attention span when it comes to internet stuff, it shows how amazing Movie Forums is.

I lack a significant sign of life as I spend a lot of time indoors chilling out in my apartment, which not to brag, is pretty large and comfortable for someone who is a college student. But I do often enjoy hanging out with my buddies, who have a horrible taste in film, but I forgive them because they're awesome. When alone I also enjoy quests for food which require a lot of gas money, nevertheless worth it. I recently started conquering the restaurants of a new town. Lastly, I sometimes write articles for the school paper, it's one of the few prides in a not so special life of mine.

I currently major in linguistics, I chose to study it because it's fun and I don't want to do anything related to numbers. However I don't have much thoughts of using what I'm learning currently to get a job in the future, my true dream is being an independent filmmaker. That's why I take film school classes on the side, but I rarely attend it as it doesn't offer much information, beyond what I already know, and it doesn't get funded as well as other classes, so there is a significant lack in quality.

Since I have a top music list thread going on right now, so I'll talk about my taste in music I guess. First off I have to say that my favorite band is The Who, and my favorite single non-band artist is Warren Zevon. Recently I've started to realize the brilliance of Pink Floyd, "Comfortably Numb', a song from The Wall, an album of theirs, is a new favorite and everyone should expect it to see it pop up on my list. Yes, I just spoiled a pick there, yay. Lastly I want to rant that the band Rush is still way too underrated, their song are absolutely sublime, they rank just behind The Who, and Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, is my favorite drummer. Oh yeah, I'm a drummer, I have been playing for 7 years, approaching 8 soon next month. I love the drums because I love rocking to the beat, and it's an under-appreciated instrument (you can tell by now that I'm usually on an underdog's side) that is always in the shadows behind hordes of singers and guitarists. At least it's not like the Bass, where people mistake for guitars once too many times, I want to punch those people in the face.

I use my drum playing skills in church, so yeah, I'm a devoted Christians, inside a forum full of atheists. But don't worry, I have no interest in spreading the gospel on a virtual site, maybe in real life though? If there is one thing that separates me from a lot of Christians, it's me being extremely left-wing and supporting gay marriage. Kinda goes against the Bible, but I want to believe what I believe.

Alright, so I've said a lot of things, and for now I can't think of anything else to say at the moment, actually I do, but this post would end up having the sentence structure of an Elementary school essay. So I'll stop here for now, if I have something to add, I'll add it.

I hoped this helped in getting to know Gatsby, aka Judge Judy opening her mouth in a hilarious fashion. I've been on this site for nearly an year, yet it seems like not many members can associate me with things another than... Judge Judy, proven by multiple murdering of the "Associate something with the MoFo Above You" thread. It makes me a bit sad. And about my real name, ask me via PM, but you have to be pretty close with me.

That was a VERY interesting post! Thanks for sharing that Matt. I may have to read up a little on the Amityvile murder case myself as it is something I have heard of but not read much about.
Gerard Sullivan's book High Hopes is a great starting point. Whatever happened with the 'haunting' case (much room for discussion) the murder case prior to the haunting case is a bone chiller (with a lot of unanswered questions).