Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I think Underseen is doable too. We'd just have to adjust the number of IMDB votes so that the countdown reflected mostly underseen films yet didn't exclude everything.

I checked some of my favorite Underseen films on IMDB to see how many votes they have? Maybe some of us could do that too? That way we could see if a Underseen countdown is feasible? This is what I got just off the top of my head.
Miracle Mile (1988) 12k votes
Cherry 2000 (1987) 10k votes
Fat City (1972) 10k votes
Caged (1950) 4.4k votes
American Movie (1999) 19k votes
Sundays and Cybele (1962) 4.7k votes
Meek's Cutoff (2010) 15k votes
The Big Knife (1955) 4k votes

*yes I realize not all of those would be considered underseen films but I included them to show how their vote numbers appeared.
Some of my favourite underseen films:

One Foot in Heaven (1941) 1,441 votes
The Marrying Kind (1952) 1,597 votes
Les misérables (1934) 1,913 votes
The Wheel (1923) 2,456 votes
I Knew Her Well (1965) 3,018 votes
Medium Cool (1969) 4,601 votes
Sundays and Cybèle (1962) 4,674 votes
The Merchant of Four Seasons (1972) 5,122 votes
Le silence de la mer (1949) 5,494 votes

I'm not super keen on any of the options listed. I don't think the underseen list idea is as bad as some users are suggesting (the point of it would be "underseen in general", not "underseen by the MoFo crowd"), but I do see the argument that it may be better suited for a shorter countdown (like a top 50).

Personally, I really like the underseen and "not on previous lists" even with the potential issues of lacking any sort of consensus.
If we acknowledge a consensus is extremely difficult if not impossible to come by then why would we go through an exercise designed to determine consensus?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If we acknowledge a consensus is extremely difficult if not impossible to come by then why would we go through an exercise designed to determine consensus?
I guess one could ask in return why go through an exercise if most of us could name at least half of the films in advance, and at later stages of the reveal, the only surprises are if some film is #8 instead of #6. Both have their pros and cons, with the main difference being the level of consensus needed.

School comedies
History and/or Biography
Family
Musical and Music
Sport
Post-Cold War European Films (basically films from Europe after 1990)
1980-1999 Action
Family
Romance

Just some random ideas
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Running noir and neo-noir at the same time(or back to back) is a brilliant idea. It addresses the worst list we;ve got (the BFI) and lets us dive in the noir movements of Japan, France, Italy, and Spain. As opposed to some of the other countdowns which will just add maybe 5-15 new titles having two noir lists you could end up with 50-75 new titles.

I forgot the opening line.
I'm with all the people saying an Underseen countdown will just end up being hundreds of films with one or two voters - and no consensus barring maybe the top 4 or 5. As far as I can see there's :

Action/adventure - a bit too close to war? Maybe

Drama - excluding any films that are also tagged as action, comedy or thriller.

Thrillers

(But I'm in the half of a very contentious group that would like to see Musicals.)

Historical/True Stories

Biopic

Romance

One of the above, please. But I'll go along with anything.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I mean if you are looking for other options...

Sequels - after the top five-ten of Silence of the Lambs, The Godfather Part II, The Dark Knight, Aliens, The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Empire Strikes Back

Specific Regions....
French Films
Italian Films
Japanese Films
You could even do a "New Wave" list

Epics - Something that has been around since the start of filmmaking and could lead to a better list.

Films of the Hollywood Studio Era - going into the 30's-60's

90's Indies - The independent film movement of the 90's was pretty big,
80's Horror
80's Comedy
70's - International films
30's Comedies - It's a deeper genre than you think

You could do 100 filmmakers
You could do 100 Actors
You could do 100 Actresses

Regarding other options, I like these:
Historical

Biography
Romance
Drama - excluding any films also tagged as action, comedy or thriller.
Musicals
Films of the Hollywood Studio Era - going into the 30's-60's

I also think someday when we run out of ideas or want to do something more defined these are good ideas:
French Films
Italian Films
Japanese Films
"New Wave" films

An idea of my own is:
Precode films

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
At first, I liked the "underseen" idea but reading all these writings here I'm more and more hesitant about it.

The most important thing is distinguishing the terms underseen and obscure.
I see many users here talk about obscure titles and that is not a good direction.

Underseen IMDB levels, broadly talking, are 10K to 50K or most precisely I'd say 15K to 30K. In this category can be found movies which to be in more ballots.
Any discussion for a movies below 10K IMDB ratings is a hopeless case.

If countdown like this is to be started, I'd like to see two border lines not only one:

˅ 35K
countdown zone
˄ 15K

I think not being on a previous list is kind of a cleaner way to do "underseen" that, whatever its other risks (which I totally acknowledge/are all well taken), sidesteps the many logistical questions about how to measure that while mostly achieving the same things.

Also, it makes "underseen" (which is a relative term) something we're comparing to the baseline of this community, rather than moviegoers in general, which I think makes sense since this group has self-selected as having seen a lot more than that group.

The Not on Previous Lists has grown on me since yesterday. I like having to pick outside the normal favorites box and just see what sticks. Would definitely be an interesting take but I hope the ballot numbers wouldn't take a huge nosedive.

I voted for that, noir, and a refresh for the 90's list.

I don't really care for underseen or not on previous lists.

I haven't voted yet. Those who have, can you see the totals? Post a screenshot?

edit: Just remembered the secret trick. Noir in the lead eh.