R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Canadian funnyman and actor Leslie Nielsen has passed away in hospital in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

The star of comedy hits such as "Airplane" and the "Naked Gun" series dies of complications from pneumonia, according to his nephew Doug Nielsen, who lives in Richmond...

-cjob86

I'm really bummed about this one. I truly loved everything he was in. He was comedy gold and made the bad films a little bit better with his presence.

R.I.P.

Suspect's Reviews

Was extremely funny. Loved Neilsen. Airplane was one of the funniest comedies.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen dead aged 84

CANADIAN actor Leslie Nielsen, famous for his deadpan turns in Airplane! and The Naked Gun, has died aged 84, a radio station has reported.

His death was first reported in unconfirmed messages on Twitter that suggested the actor had died in the hospital after suffering from pneumonia.
His nephew, Doug Nielson, told Canadian radio station CJOB that the actor had been in the hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for 12 days and that "he just fell asleep and passed away" with family and friends by his side.
Born in Regina, Canada, Leslie Nielsen appeared in more than 100 movies and hundreds of television shows over the course of his career.
Awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, he was also made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002 despite also being a naturalized US citizen.
He was married four times, and had two children from his second marriage, Maura and Thea Nielsen.

Text via http://tinyurl.com/35kze7w

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

What a beautiful summation of his career, Will. Really, what's the point of that comment? Do you think a single person on this site is going to read that and come away more educated, or even amused, or glad you made it in any way?

Anyway, on to the actual topic at hand: Leslie Nielsen has made me laugh more times than I can count. It seems like the straight man is becoming a bit of a lost art, and he did it as well as anyone I've seen. His deadpan lines and ability to look completely normal in the midst of comedic chaos got me every time. And the guy didn't seem to age, either, in the last 20 years or so.

He'll be missed. Rest in Peace.

What a beautiful summation of his career, Will. Really, what's the point of that comment? Do you think a single person on this site is going to read that and come away more educated, or even amused?
It could work... if taken in the spirit of the bulk of Nielsen's career!

But yeah, I just love this guy.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
R.I.P. He was also cool in "serious" roles.

(Both of those films are still entertaining.)

Hey Suspect, would you have liked Dr. Strangelove better if Leslie Nielsen played General Ripper?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i feel so much more educated, amused, and glad after reading this thread.

seriously, though. i don't always necessarily agree with "honoring" people by putting them up on a pedestal after they're gone, so i can kinda understand will's comment. when my grandmother died a couple years ago, so many of my family members wanted to sit around and reminisce about all the wonderful things she did and said and was - which is nice. but i prefer to remember all the goofy, silly, and even downright stupid things she did, which were aplenty, too. i like to remember how human and well-rounded these people are. that's what i loved about my grandmother.

not that will's comment was that, really. just sayin'.

r.i.p., dude!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't really think the point of an obituary is to honor someone. I feel it should recap their lives and give some significance to them, usually in some respectful manner, so if the significance arises from their goofy and silly bits, so be it, but you aren't going to find such things except at a person's own funeral or personal rememberance. (Just an aside, but I'm not having a funeral, but I'm sure "people" will remember me just as much for all the stubborn and dumb stuff I did as all the meager accomplishments I may have accrued.)

I apologize for intruding on Leslie Nielsen's R.I.P., but I liked ash's comment and wanted to extend it. Shut up, mark.

I have no problem with someone who doesn't want to pretend someone was better than they were, or who doesn't like idolozing people simply because they've died. I agree with that, and I don't like glossing over everything simply because someone has passed away. But courtesy usually dictates that, when we feel that way, we probably ought not to say anything. And if we must say something (for whatever reason), that we do so considerately and in a way that might conceivably be useful or at least interesting to someone else.

As you say, Will's comment was "not that." Heck, it wasn't even about any of the things he's most known for. I have no idea what its purpose even could have been, unless he wanted everyone to know how unaffected he was by Nielsen's passing. I'm moderately annoyed and offended by how flippant it is, but I'm mostly just perplexed.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I'm moderately annoyed and offended by how flippant it is, but I'm mostly just perplexed.
i'd say he succeeded in the purpose that he probably intended, then.

Simply... Will's comment is something Nielsen most likely would have chuckled at. I think that could make it just as or even more sentimental than something less subversive.

I think Will was just trying to discuss the guy, rather than just going "OMG WTF I used to love him..."

But seriously WTF! I really used to love this guy..

That Mr. Magoo adaptation was beyond terrible, they must have surely cast him seeing his growing popularity among youth due to the Naked Gun movies.

How awesome was Spy Hard?... far better than Johnny English & few other spy comedies that came out recently..

May his soul RIP.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Back to the topic at hand.

I'll miss you Nielsen. When I think of you, I think of this great show.

Semper Fooey
I don't dislike Leslie Nielsen, Yoda. I saw all his spoofs when they came out except the Scary movies and thought some of the ones slammed by others weren't so bad. I guess I figured I let the rest of you talk about Airplane and Naked Gun. That Magoo really bummed me out. He had a good long life. He died from natural causes. I ripped into Eddie Fisher for being a bad person when he died (and discovered on other sites later I wasn't the only only one who had a problem with him) and no one criticized me. I didn't say Nielsen was a bad person. But he had a real bad comic day when he made that one.

Thanks for all the laughs, Leslie! You will be missed!