James Gunn fired from "Guardians of The Galaxy" for offensive tweets

Tools    

Could you expand on the personal freedom part? Just curious what restrictions you disagree with exactly.
Generally speaking I'd like the legislation to be as minimalist as possible. Basically anything that doesn't harm others or their property, public property or nature should be allowed. Drugs and guns fit this one as well even though I specifically mentioned them elsewhere.

I don't think censorship is a fair word to use for the sorts of things i think you're complaining about (correct me if i'm wrong of course, there's nothing worse than someone creating your position for you then arguing against it) there's no rules, there's potential consequences because a group (and/or their supporters) doesn't like something but that's it.
In Europe there are rules as well. Current leader of one of our parties got sentenced for incitement to racial hatred for writing a blog that included a satiric part modified from one other politician's earlier writing. In the original it was said that drinking and domestic violence are genetic attributes of Finns while the satire said that raping and stealing are genetic attributes of Somali (who had/have massive over presentation in those types of crimes). The first was fine, second a crime. Also Facebook and other social media remove posts, links and users with wrong opinions. I'd say censorship is right word for it.

There's very little difference and there's just as much outrage when someone says some teen angsty thing against the flag or whatever.
Again in Europe it's perfectly legal to burn flags but people have been sentenced for incitement for racial hatred for burning Quran.

A perfect example is Roseanne/Kathy Griffin...
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Roseanne case.

For the record i think all American media is absurd (same with British before anyone brings it up) and that there's barely a left there. Just pointing out the absurd hypocrisy while acknowleddging i no doubt fit into that label with my prior posts.
I think the situation is little different in Europe with the massive immigration crisis that's dividing people quite badly. All the mainstream medias and publicly funded TV channels preach the bliss of multiculturalism and tell us how right wing extremists are the greatest threat to us all (while both left wing hooligans and immigrants cause many times more issues - like antisemitism that's on the rise in Sweden but our papers oddly fail to mention it's because of the Muslims, not skinheads).

Freedom of Speech i agree with there being no laws against it like say Germany does about Holocaust Denial. Freedom of Speech also applies to maginalized groups though so i don't see any issue with them objecting to what they see as offensive since it affects them in real life, if you have a problem with that then you can use your own freedom of speech to object.
It's not them objecting that pisses me off. It's the combination of the following:

1) If others don't comply to their objections and demands there'll be a riot (like in US colleges every time an alt-right person is coming to give speech).

2) Knowing the following many companies tend to give in to every silly complaint because not doing so will be costly (and especially in Europe where these rioters/vandals get practically no sentences at all and have no money to pay for any damages).

Generally speaking I'd like the legislation to be as minimalist as possible. Basically anything that doesn't harm others or their property, public property or nature should be allowed. Drugs and guns fit this one as well even though I specifically mentioned them elsewhere.

In Europe there are rules as well. Current leader of one of our parties got sentenced for incitement to racial hatred for writing a blog that included a satiric part modified from one other politician's earlier writing. In the original it was said that drinking and domestic violence are genetic attributes of Finns while the satire said that raping and stealing are genetic attributes of Somali (who had/have massive over presentation in those types of crimes). The first was fine, second a crime. Also Facebook and other social media remove posts, links and users with wrong opinions. I'd say censorship is right word for it.

Censorship is the correct word for the very specific cases you're talking about, yes. Facebook have also removed Trump-Putin connection posts (which a big stink has been made over on the left which i think is just as absurd) pretty sure they have some flawed code which removes things they deem offensive, it's not like a political correctness officer is going through everything and personally removing stuff it's a bot and it's often reversed if it's ridiculous. Facebook is one of the worst things on the internet though, i don't use it and am not defending it. If you have an english language link to that case i'd read it and give my opinion, but understood if that's not possible as i don't expect a local Finnish issue to make it into our press, i can't really opine on something you're giving your personal opinion on without reviewing myself though and i don't trust google translate because of several prior incidents i'll go into if you like involving Italian translations.

Again in Europe it's perfectly legal to burn flags but people have been sentenced for incitement for racial hatred for burning Quran.
I think burning a religious text whether it's a Quran or Bible is unnecessary and actively hostile, it's something i'd have championed when i was a douchebag teen atheist (still atheist just not a Reddit bro one) but while i find symbols abusrd i think when someone consciously desecrates one they are making a statement which is why i find the "the proper disposal of American Flags is burning them" argument juvenile. My point there was purely the hypocrisy, i agree no one should be jailed for burning a book. Although they should anticipate a hostile response since it's clearly an act of hostility, not a legal one however.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Roseanne case.
Roseanne said something racist about a political figure (Valerie Jarrett former Senior Advisor to Obama), Kathy Griffin implied death on Trump, Griffin's was supposed to be funny (it wasn't), correct me if i'm wrong (not you since you don't know of it) but i read Roseanne's as simply a position of hers. Either way both were abhorrent and got the appropriate reaction in my eyes although i saw more defence of Roseanne from the right.

I think the situation is little different in Europe with the massive immigration crisis that's dividing people quite badly. All the mainstream medias and publicly funded TV channels preach the bliss of multiculturalism and tell us how right wing extremists are the greatest threat to us all (while both left wing hooligans and immigrants cause many times more issues - like antisemitism that's on the rise in Sweden but our papers oddly fail to mention it's because of the Muslims, not skinheads).
Dude i'm from Europe, Scotland specifically just so you know i'm not coming at this at an American perspective. This just seems like a bigoted rant not sure how i'm supposed to address it exactly.

It's not them objecting that pisses me off. It's the combination of the following:

1) If others don't comply to their objections and demands there'll be a riot (like in US colleges every time an alt-right person is coming to give speech).

2) Knowing the following many companies tend to give in to every silly complaint because not doing so will be costly (and especially in Europe where these rioters/vandals get practically no sentences at all and have no money to pay for any damages).
1. The alt-right are actively hostile hate mongers who are genuinely harmful to minorities. I hardly cry for them, there shouldn't be riots i agree but it's difficult for me as a straight white man to say they shouldn't be angry about rhetoric that actively harms them.

2. This is great. It's showing that things are shifting away from straight white male privilege and making our situation a little more uncomfortable to even things out. I know you don't agree and that makes my day

I just sigh at how liberals are becoming increasingly like the conservatives in their lack of tolerance. In my real life I try to return a stranger's shopping cart, give the person at the intersection a dollar and keep in mind that we have all paid rent for a glass house.
Why should people tolerate intolerance? Sounds absurd but i think this argument implies people should just accept that people have hateful views and move on, that'd be fine if it didn't have an affect on policy but it does so people can't be passive if they believe in something.

Getting pretty sick of people implying the left should just shut up about their views or they'll be more like the right, and i'm sure most sane conservatives are too as it implies they are worse people.

Right or wrong everyone should fight their views (not violently obviously).

If you have an english language link to that case i'd read it and give my opinion, but understood if that's not possible as i don't expect a local Finnish issue to make it into our press, i can't really opine on something you're giving your personal opinion on without reviewing myself though and i don't trust google translate because of several prior incidents i'll go into if you like involving Italian translations.
I don't think there's a proper English coverage for the case. At least none that I know of. And for Google translate, yeah, it really doesn't work well with Finnish (or I suppose for any complicated and small language).

I think burning a religious text whether it's a Quran or Bible is unnecessary and actively hostile, it's something i'd have championed when i was a douchebag teen atheist (still atheist just not a Reddit bro one) but while i find symbols abusrd i think when someone consciously desecrates one they are making a statement which is why i find the "the proper disposal of American Flags is burning them" argument juvenile. My point there was purely the hypocrisy, i agree no one should be jailed for burning a book. Although they should anticipate a hostile response since it's clearly an act of hostility, not a legal one however.
Same expected hostile response applies to burning flags as well so there's no difference (except with Quran the hostile response will far more likely be physical aggression).

This just seems like a bigoted rant not sure how i'm supposed to address it exactly.
Bigoted to some, honest for others

1. The alt-right are actively hostile hate mongers who are genuinely harmful to minorities. I hardly cry for them, there shouldn't be riots i agree but it's difficult for me as a straight white man to say they shouldn't be angry about rhetoric that actively harms them.
So why shouldn't alt-right be more angry about the riots that actively harm them? You need to condemn both or neither or you're holding double standards.

2. This is great. It's showing that things are shifting away from straight white male privilege and making our situation a little more uncomfortable to even things out. I know you don't agree and that makes my day
Why do you hate yourself so much that you wish to be uncomfortable and instead of trying to make world better for everyone you focus on making it worse for you and your kind?

Why should people tolerate intolerance? Sounds absurd but i think this argument implies people should just accept that people have hateful views and move on, that'd be fine if it didn't have an affect on policy but it does so people can't be passive if they believe in something.
You can't stop people from hating with laws and regulations. People will always hate something. Tolerance doesn't mean not hating but tolerating something you don't like.

My belief of tolerance is co-existing with things you don't believe in or accept. Tolerating doesn't mean excusing or supporting opposing views, but not damning people we don't fully understand in the first place. I think an example of lack of tolerance today, is all of the issue that people take with words and thought on the internet, when in real life their physical practices show none of the digital virtue.

I try to stay away from this stuff, for fear of not being articulate enough and people viewing malice in my thought.

I don't think there's a proper English coverage for the case. At least none that I know of. And for Google translate, yeah, it really doesn't work well with Finnish (or I suppose for any complicated and small language).
Yeah cool, can't really comment on that then.

Same expected hostile response applies to burning flags as well so there's no difference (except with Quran the hostile response will far more likely be physical aggression).
Agreed. My only point was the right makes a stink about one issue and not the other. I also feel if you were to burn the American flag in certain areas of the South your response would be just as violent as any area with a significant amount of muslims. Sacha Baron Cohen was almost killed several times (especially when he kissed that dude in Bruno) for his actions in the south, he was clearly trying to provoke that reaction but so is anyone burning Quran's. Go to deep Alabama and burn the bible or flag, see the reaction you'll get.

Bigoted to some, honest for others

k.

So why shouldn't alt-right be more angry about the riots that actively harm them? You need to condemn both or neither or you're holding double standards.
I pretty clearly said i don't support the riots i just understand the reactions. The alt-right is perpetuating hatred, doubt you're fine with far-;left groups that say the same things about white males. And even then there's a major difference as the former is much more likely to become a reality than the latter.

Why do you hate yourself so much that you wish to be uncomfortable and instead of trying to make world better for everyone you focus on making it worse for you and your kind?
Because i don't think the world can get better without people like me being a little less comfortable. I'm not saying something absurd like straight white males should be rounded up and put in concentration camps, just that i recognize my inherent advantages and am fine losing them to even things up.

Posted without endorsement, but I saw this on Facebook

Yeah, Disney are the worst. Think my earlier grievances with Hollywood apply to Disney much more than anyone else. It's also much more disturbing as their media is aimed at kids.

i always forget Marvel is owned by Disney so i didn't even make the connection.

Agreed. My only point was the right makes a stink about one issue and not the other.
And same applies to left.

I also feel if you were to burn the American flag in certain areas of the South your response would be just as violent as any area with a significant amount of muslims.
Possibly, not sure how things really are in the south. On the other hand similar provocation in Europe can cause violent outbreaks and riots in Middle-East while I doubt that even the worst rednecks wouldn't do that when a New York hipster burns the flag.

Sacha Baron Cohen was almost killed several times (especially when he kissed that dude in Bruno) for his actions in the south, he was clearly trying to provoke that reaction but so is anyone burning Quran's. Go to deep Alabama and burn the bible or flag, see the reaction you'll get.
I don't like Baron so I haven't seen these events (or even know if they're authentic or staged) but if he goes to kiss a random man somewhere isn't it sexual harassment? I surely wouldn't like if some dude just comes to kiss me on the street or something. About the reaction, I don't think it would be thousands of people on the streets attacking federal buildings and such.

I pretty clearly said i don't support the riots i just understand the reactions. The alt-right is perpetuating hatred, doubt you're fine with far-;left groups that say the same things about white males. And even then there's a major difference as the former is much more likely to become a reality than the latter.
I'm not happy about the leftist propaganda, yes, but I'm not rioting or attacking them on the streets either. Also why on earth do you think that the latter is so unrealistic? White people are minority and we're also slow breeders. If nothing changes we can be a minority even in Europe by 2050. Also I'm pretty sure that the current development will eventually lead to European civil war and after that we either have Caliphate or white Europe (and in either case millions of innocents will suffer).

Because i don't think the world can get better without people like me being a little less comfortable. I'm not saying something absurd like straight white males should be rounded up and put in concentration camps, just that i recognize my inherent advantages and am fine losing them to even things up.
And when you've lost them what's left? Is Europe going to be another continent of 3rd world countries? What good would that do except easing your conscience?

And same applies to left.
Jesus, obviously i agree that was part of my point. Although the Roseanne/Kathy Griffin thing is a clear example of the left condemning something from their side (anti-Trump) and the right (media, i'm sure plenty of right people condemned it) not doing the same and even defending it when Roseanne said something awful since she is pro-Trump/right. I think centre-left cheerleaders are more likely to admit to this begrudgingly since it's a game to them but they admitted it anyway which the right largely didn't.

Possibly, not sure how things really are in the south. On the other hand similar provocation in Europe can cause violent outbreaks and riots in Middle-East while I doubt that even the worst rednecks wouldn't do that when a New York hipster burns the flag.
If a New York Hipster was to burn the flag in a small Alabama Town there'd be just as much violence. Not defending the fundamental parts of the Middle East but it's not the same thing as your average muslim living in the west, generally they react the same as people in the south of America would.

I don't like Baron so I haven't seen these events (or even know if they're authentic or staged) but if he goes to kiss a random man somewhere isn't it sexual harassment? I surely wouldn't like if some dude just comes to kiss me on the street or something. About the reaction, I don't think it would be thousands of people on the streets attacking federal buildings and such.
I don't like him much either. No the dude he kissed was a hired actor, it was a skit where he was supposed to be fighting in a cage match with him but after a minor scuffle they fell in love and started kissing. This was done in the deep south and the skit in the film is the second take because the first didn't get far, the first resulted in security having to intervene as spectators were attempting to enter the cage and were tossing things inside. It was horrific violent homophobia.

I'm not happy about the leftist propaganda, yes, but I'm not rioting or attacking them on the streets either. Also why on earth do you think that the latter is so unrealistic? White people are minority and we're also slow breeders. If nothing changes we can be a minority even in Europe by 2050. Also I'm pretty sure that the current development will eventually lead to European civil war and after that we either have Caliphate or white Europe (and in either case millions of innocents will suffer).
Oh no!

And when you've lost them what's left? Is Europe going to be another continent of 3rd world countries? What good would that do except easing your conscience?
How does a more even society = 3rd world exactly? Is Ethiopia your idea of an equal society?

How does a more even society = 3rd world exactly? Is Ethiopia your idea of an equal society?
No, but I believe that by bringing "Ethiopians" here we're getting closer to "Ethiopia" instead of some equal utopia. I also believe that there's not much to gain for either of us for continuing this so I thank you for polite discussion and move on to other, hopefully more movie-centric, threads.

@Camo

Just one more thing. I did find good English summary of the events I described concerning the censorship. And yes, the site probably isn't the most neutral (according to wiki, I've never even heard of them before) but to me it seems that they do have the facts right and the links to actual news are all to Finnish mainstream media. Also looks like I remembered one thing wrong: the second Somali trait mentioned wasn't raping but living on welfare.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3...nd-free-speech

So now people are going through lots of other people's tweets and finding similar jokes. This morning I've seen people post jokes about child molestation from Michael Ian Black and Sarah Silverman, for example.

When comedians start getting targeted, you really start losing any hope.

They don't deserve special treatment, but you can't easily differentiate the difference between the act and the person.

I would love to see the reactions to Richard Pryor in today's climate.

Wondering which Disneyland character would be the worst to get raped by. I think it's Goofy. But sleepy would suck too

Who said none of his tweets were funny..

By the way I like how a talented guy has been fired from his own movie by people with no talent but lot's of judgement over something 10 years ago... why can't we act as we do with our family and friends as with someone on the world stage.

Comedian Sean Locke once said "I hear voices. Voices in my head. I just ignore them, and carry on murdering"

Maybe he too should be removed from all TV and media.
In that case what should be done with Rhod Gilbert?

welcome to mock the week, our guests today are Russel Howard, Russel Howard, Russel Howard.... and Philip Schofield. Get ready for the laughs.

I wonder how easy it was to cut bait with Gunn having more than over-delivered and these guys being somewhat interchangeable due to Disney's formula?

I wish politicians would get this much flack when they do stuff like this. Here's that great American double standard that Cap'n Steele is always on about. Disney...Ha! Standing up for their morals. What a laugh. I'm literally peeing in my pants right now. I may poop too.