Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

I liked a few songs as a child, but when I revisited them as an adult it quickly became one of those "buy 6-7 albums immediately / listen to nothing else for the foreseeable future" kind of obsession. So much good stuff beyond the hits.

This was about 20 years ago and I remember streaming a Quicktime video of "Oh Candy" hundreds of times. When dialup allowed me to, that is.

I've had Budokan forever, and it's alright, but it didn't ignite a fire to check out their other stuff. I generally don't love melodic guitar pop, as I find a lot of that music makes a real quick first impression, and then fizzles as you realize it was little more than an earworm that hooked you.

But I've been getting into buying dollar bin records recently, and for a couple of bucks, I just figured why not when I saw a copy of Dream Police. It couldn't be worse than the third rate Steppenwolf and probably first rate Genesis records I was scooping up.

And it was great.

And then I found In Color in the same store a couple of weeks later. And it's even better. Pretty much back to front great records. And it's just not about the hooks. There is both an emotional core to these songs, as well as a defiant weirdness, that speaks directly to me.

So first thing I did this morning was order their first album from Amazon while listening to Southern Girls before going to work.

I sat on these guys way too long, and there is no excuse. I've heard the good things for years, but just assumed it was all going to be proto power punk shit, which I avid like the plague.

But I was very wrong.

That James Randi ("The Amazing Randi") was gay.

Randi (1928 - 2020) was famous for being a stage magician, scientific skeptic and a debunker.
He was also famous for his million dollar paranormal challenge which offered a reward to anyone who could present paranormal powers under Randi's conditions. No one ever collected the reward.
At the age of 82 Randi came out, announcing that he was gay.
This was surprising to me only because Randi showed no outward indicators that would lead anyone to think he was gay (i.e. he didn't fit any stereotype except that of a former magician turned debunker with a keen analytical mind).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

I just found out that they put you to sleep for a colonoscopy, so now that my wife has intercepted the mail, I may finally just bite the bullet.
Having a colonoscopy is such a non-event that I forgot I had mine. I called my doctor and asked him when we were going to do it. He said, we already did it. I then remembered my sister dropping me off and picking me up at the surgery suite.

A friend of mine called me and was having a fit because she was going to have a colonoscopy. I told her my story. She did not take it well. She wanted me to catastrophize with her and got mad at me.

I just learned today that the Christian singer Rebecca St James is the sister of the two guys from the duo For King & Country and that there is a new movie coming out this week about their family called Unsung Hero.

Two things I just found out about banking. Number 1, one’s PIN number can be changed at the ATM machine & number 2, one can choose the denomination of the bills. Webster Bank always defaults to $50 bills, which I don’t want, so it’s nice to be able to choose what I want.

That’s it.