Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Semper Fooey
I love Billie Burke. She was in all three of the Topper movies and her character got dumber and dumber in each one. Her character was a real person in the first one and not dumb at all. She was a little scatter brained in the second, and by the third she became a complete imbecile. No wonder her husband preferred to hang out with young, sexy women ghosts.

Grand Hotel good movie. I only saw near the end of Dinner at Eight, looked good.

I hated Blow Out, Brian de Palma ripping off other movies like usual when he is the writer and director.

Nancy Allen (de Palma's wife at the time) very annoying actress who didn't work much after they divorced, like Marsha Mason when she broke up with Neil Simon. At least Mason gave one good performance (Cinderella Liberty) before she became a collection of tics and mannerisms.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Ah-Hem. You may dandily dawdle as much as you like in here, but why not take a moment and look at my latest review, or at least make me think you did by giving moi a rep point?
Sorry, Sex God, but I haven't seen that film and can't discuss it with you. It looks like a film I would like to see though. I love good old black and white classics. But I'll give you some rep anyway for the excellent thread.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Chasing Amy
(directed by Kevin Smith, 1997)

Chasing Amy is a major disappointment to me -- why? Because up until the very end, I thought the movie was PHENOMENAL. I had never seen it before until tonight -- I've seen it on TV in the past, but I didn't pay attention. I like Kevin Smith, but I haven't seen everything he's done. My favorite movie of his has been Dogma. I *might* make Chasing Amy my new favorite -- not sure yet. I think it has a terrible ending and if anyone wants to help me see it differently, go right ahead, but for now, I'm not buying into its message. I'm going to go into SPOILER mode and talk about it for those who have seen it -- if you have not seen the movie and would like to skip the spoilers, stay tuned -- I'll be right back:

WARNING: "Chasing Amy" spoilers below
What the HELL?! Tell me this ending is the most pathetic, sad thing you've ever witnessed. There is no reason why Holden should have turned into a sad little weasel who loses his friend and his girlfriend. Kevin Smith, this movie sends an AWFUL message. I understand you're trying to say that people shouldn't give up on somebody just because of what they've done in their past, but isn't it obvious that Alyssa was crazy?! I don't buy her as a sane, good little woman at all. My #1 indicator of this was when she gave holy hell to Holden for admitting that he loved her - she got out of the car, in the pouring rain and told him to leave her - that she'd find her own way back home. She tells him she's a lesbian and she just can't change for him. He turns and heads back to the car -- she runs back immediately and starts making out with him?! And they're suddenly a couple?! Do you know what that whole thing said to me? That she was only acting that way so she could go back with him so she wouldn't get stuck in the rain trying to get a ride - 'cause weren't they kinda far from home? I was suspicious of her right then and there, because she just changed her heart so drastically.

Then when all of the stuff about her naughty past came out, I felt fooled by her, as did Holden. Once everything came out about her, I didn't trust her - and I had already been distrustful of her when she changed her mind so suddenly about dating Holden. But they played out the whole thing where they made Alyssa sympathetic and Silent Bob came in and gave that whole "Chasing Amy" story about how much he regretted losing the girl he loved because he judged her and all that, blah blah blah. So, I really thought the movie was going somewhere and that it was very interesting and very deep and philosophical and all that, but then....

The scene where Holden wants to have a threesome with Banky and Alyssa. Great scene. I was really loving this movie. So, Holden confronts Banky and tells him he's gay and he wants to have sex with him and Alyssa just so they can all work out their problems. Alyssa says no and says she couldn't do that because it would ruin her relationship with Holden and she loves him and all that, blah blah blah. This is all very good to me. This is great. But then Alyssa does something that shocks me.

She dumps him.

Now, this to me was very bitchy -- but -- it goes with my theory about her. She yet again has changed her opinion so drastically and so suddenly. She wants to keep him to herself and not share him and she loves him so much -- but then, BAM, she dumps him right after saying this!

She's CRAZY! This woman is seriously messed up and no lesson Kevin Smith wants to give is going to alter my perceptions of this and make me see my thought here as an error.

The last scene of the movie is the worst. The last scene BLOWED UP the whole movie for me. It was like a bomb went off. We get one of those "One Year Later" screens and we see Holden, Banky and Alyssa all at a comic book convention. We find out that Banky has moved away from Holden and has started his own comic book. They do not speak to each other anymore - but Holden sees him and waves and they act friendly. Then we see Alyssa - she's got a new lesbian lover. Holden comes up to her and shows her a comic book he's made in the past year - he calls it "Chasing Amy" and it's all about his relationship with Alyssa. Alyssa looks through it and sees a comic book panel that shows Holden, as a cartoon, telling Alyssa that he's sorry for what he did. The film ends with the real Holden just basically walking off, alone.

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE ENDING I THINK I HAVE EVER SEEN.

It is the biggest downer. Why? Because there's no reason why Holden should be so regretful. Alyssa was not right for him. She was a flake. She was a ditz. She was a troublemaker. She bounced from person to person, sex to sex. I hate this ending because Kevin Smith had already set up this ending - thanks to the scene with Jay & Silent Bob - as some sort of message to guys telling them to be accepting of people or else they'll lose the greatest thing ever.

I'm sorry -- shame on you, Kevin Smith, for turning this wonderful movie into this. You have portrayed men as weak and stupid. You turned an interesting movie about sexual orientation into a banal moral message about not judging others. This is a very dark movie, but it's dark for all the wrong reasons. It's dark in a bad way. Alyssa is a nightmare. The fact that this movie ends with Holden without his friend Banky and with Alyssa as a character that deserved apologies and will keep Holden soft and weak and torn up over her for a long time is majorly depressing and a terrible message to men. Men should not see this movie. NOBODY should see this movie, but men especially. And that's very weird for me to say because I was totally with this movie all throughout -- I loved it -- it was so good and so funny that I thought it had a very real chance of becoming one of my new Top 10 favorite films. But I don't know about that now. I wanted to lie to myself and forgive the ending and love the movie and all that, but I sat there as the credits started and I thought...

No.

No, I cannot do that. No, it doesn't feel right. The ending sucks. It's totally dark and unhappy and I feel it's bad because it just doesn't work with the rest of the movie. It's an extreme downer. The balance was totally destroyed. It's like someone took the gravity away. And I don't like it for that reason. Holden ends up being a pathetic wuss and there's nothing that says he should have been smarter. Yes, Banky warned him earlier in the movie, but come on -- you're actually gonna throw a "one year later" scenario where Holden and Banky aren't friends anymore and Alyssa has moved on? Dark move, Kevin Smith -- sad, maybe true, but I can't forgive you for ending on this note. It's a movie and if you're gonna put philosophical stoners in it, and you wanna be all philosophical yourself, GIVE THE GUYS AT HOME A MORE POSITIVE MESSAGE! This last note sucked ass - and speaking of notes, on this one, I think I'll end spoiler mode.

Oh. Well, it looks like I just wrote a tall white building there. Did y'all stay tuned?

I really don't know what else to say. I guess this review will have to be more for those who have seen Chasing Amy so they can read my rant.

Short and sweet, this was a... oh, I don't know! I don't know if it's right to call this "great" or "good" or whatever, yet.

I loved the gay black character, Hooper! One of the best gay characters ever. Damn, he was funny and interesting.

For those of you who don't know, Chasing Amy is about Ben Affleck falling in love with a lesbian. The rest you've gotta see for yourself.

I'm sorry I didn't say much else for those who skipped the spoilers and waited so long for me to get back. To make this review feel like a typical Sexy Celebrity review - something I hope you keep coming back for - I'll give you a BEN AFFLECK LOOKED DAMN GOOD IN THIS statement. My god, that guy is sexy. He should not be falling in love with lesbians, either. What a waste. How could you ever think about balancing Ben Affleck with pu$$y? I'm pretty sure it's written in one of Julia Child's cookbooks that pu$$y should not be paired with Ben Affleck -- I'm sorry, but Ben Affleck is a full course meal all on his own. You are seriously going to get major indigestion and wind up in a hospital if you try to sneak in a little pu$$y with your Ben Affleck. I hope the nurses don't come when you press the call button!

I've gotta be honest and say I can't rate the movie much lower. It was going to get a 5 from me, but then, you know, that ending... so it loses a whole thing of popcorn just because of that. It might even really deserve a 3.5, but I'm going to be nice because I really did enjoy my time watching this movie. I just feel Kevin Smith gave a horrible message once all was said and done.

WARNING: "Chasing Amy" spoilers below
I really hope Holden and Banky got together somewhere after the comic book convention and had out of this world anal sex, too. That Banky needed some serious deep dicking.

I must have watched a different Chasing Amy than the one you watched. \

Are you mad at Alyssa for being bi-sexual and indecisive?

I lookat the movie as being a precursor to Scott Pilgram. It's a film about understanding and accepting the sexual relationships that your new partner had before you. It's a film about getting over baggage.

Holden couldn't get over his hang-ups with Alyssa and it cost him his relationship to her and his friendship to Bankey. Plain and simple. Yes, the ending is a downer, but it's a deserved downer. The film earns that moment.

I think it's, hands down, Smith finest film.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
just read your Chasing Amy review. i hate that movie, too, for many of the same reasons as you, and many more.

Sexy, have you seen All Over the Guy?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Chasing Amy is one of my favorite movies, but it's also one I can't watch very often. I have been told very often that I AM Holden in that movie. And yes, I kind of am. I'm a fairly conservative suburban guy who draws comics, and yes, believe it or not, I did briefly date a woman who identified herself as a lesbian. We couldn't make it work either. More because of her not wanting to give up her "identity" and finding dating a man somehow anti-feminist, despite the fact that she genuinely wanted to be with me, and she told me she hurt herself way more than she did me when it ended, which...ummm, whatever, but anyways...

I get what the film is saying, about not judging Alyssa on her past sexual exploits, and how Holden loses her because he can't let her forget them when she really would like to...but part of me does think that she isn't quite past that stage, and more than likely she would have left Holden anyways for something or someone else eventually. She was not a mature character, none of her actions make her seem stable.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm mad at Alyssa for being a teaser, a player, a liar and a basic messed up person. Her sexuality isn't a problem. Her sexual past isn't a problem, but I can understand Holden being shaken by it.
Stop! Yes, Holden is shaken by it because his sexual past has been pedestrian up to that point. And, yes, she does have issues. Holden should have proceeded more cautiously, but we don't choose who we fall in love with (most of the time).

It's not a movie about getting over baggage. If it is, it's terribly designed. For starters, the person with the baggage is who should be getting over it.
Wait, wha? That's not how baggage works, to my knowledge. That's why it's called baggage, because it's what a person brings into a relationship. If the person who has the baggage has to get over it they wouldn't have it at the begining of the relationship! Did you watch Scott Pilgrim? It's a heavy handed metaphore for the same thing. Ramona doesn't fight her own evil exes!

Holden didn't have her baggage. Holden was experiencing complicated feelings about Alyssa, thanks to all the crap she brought to his table. Holden was being a straight man who naturally fell in love with a woman. Alyssa responds to this, shockingly, but then it's revealed that she has a seedy past (which was already hinted at in the scene in the bar where they keep talking about oral sex accidents, but it never gets noticed until it's revealed she lied about being with a man before.) That's the red flag about Alyssa -- she lied to Holden. I believe she has many more lies up her sleeve, too.
When did she lie to Holden about being with men? Is not telling the same thing as lying now?

I can't believe this movie is so critically acclaimed. It is a good movie because it's realistic, funny, entertaining and interesting - I liked it all the way until the end. Then it left me outraged. If this is supposed to be a movie about getting over baggage, then it's telling guys to settle down and be okay with whatever mental nutbag they happen to meet. And I'm sorry but that's NOT a good message.
Yeah, it's not a movie about that. It's a movie about accepting the one you love. You're right, maybe Holden shouldn't have fallen for Alyssa, but he did. Again, we don't always choose who we fall in love with. Just ask any married person who's ever fallen in love with someone else.

Let's see Kevin Smith make a movie about an abusive parent and have the kid be left abandoned by the parent and end the film on a note where the kid is missing the abusive parent, wants to parent to know he's sorry - "Please, mommy! I'm sorry! Wherever you are! You didn't have to leave me!" IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.
This isn't even remotely the same thing. You don't have the option of backing out of a relationship with your parents if it looks rocky. Sort of a strawman argument, isn't it?

The film does not deserve that "downer" moment at the end. It's just that, I guess, he couldn't think of something else to do. WHY did his friendship with Bankey end? Just because of the threesome idea Holden had? Bankey didn't wanna lose Holden so why do they break apart? Why couldn't Bankey see how nuts Alyssa was in that moment she broke up with him?
We'll have to agree to disagree on the downer ending. Personally I don't see how it could have ended any other way.

Kevin Smith has no balls.
This might be true.

There's 2 things that you keep saying that I just don't get.

1) When does Alyssa say she's never been with a man? I really don't remember that.

2) Why do think that anyone thinks that Bankey is gay? Holden only suggests they have a three-way because he hasn't had the same level of sexual experience that Alyssa has had and it intimidates him. Having a three-way would make him feel equal to her. He suggest having it with Bankey because he (wrongly?) thinks that it would break the tension between he and Bankey that has been brought on by his relationship with Alyssa. I suppose he thinks they would have to get along after that or that it would prove to Bankey her level of commitment to Holden.

She said at the beginning of getting to know Holden that she's never been with a man before, only women. Or at least she said she never had "sex" with a guy with penetration and such - I dunno, she was weird with her definitions of sex. I mean, not really weird, but it's all weird coming from her. But - I forget at which exact moment, but she did claim to have never had sex with a man, and then it was revealed that she had done things with guys.

Again, I forget exactly when this is mentioned -- I've only seen it once (I might rewatch it again tonight, though) -- but Holden feels that Banky is in love with him and that having sex with Holden would make Banky feel better.

Very shocking moment in the film, if you ask me.

But this was already getting hinted at earlier. I was sensing that Banky was gay myself - or something. When Hooper and Banky are discussing Archie comics and talking about the subtext of how Archie and Jughead are really gay lovers, this is paralleling what's going on with Holden and Banky and the subtext between their own relationship.
Do you honestly believe that Kevin Smith is capable of the level of subtlety that you are talking about with Bankey being gay? He speaks out a common straight male fantasy in the film, it takes him forever to figure out they are in a gay club, he talks like he knows nothing about the gay community without ever giving a hint that he has more than an outsider interest in it, I just don't see it. You're giving Smith far more credit than he deserves.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Do you honestly believe that Kevin Smith is capable of the level of subtlety that you are talking about with Bankey being gay? He speaks out a common straight male fantasy in the film, it takes him forever to figure out they are in a gay club, he talks like he knows nothing about the gay community without ever giving a hint that he has more than an outsider interest in it, I just don't see it. You're giving Smith far more credit than he deserves.
Honestly, Kevin Smith isn't an idiot. He is most certainly capable of that level of subtlety. Maybe his later films have suffered from his not even trying (looking right at you, Cop Out. Smith cared so little he directed that one while high...), but at his best, he was amazing, hiding well thought out and even heart felt comedies in endless scatalogical humor.

Kevin Smith is clever in that he has even stated he will never tell if Banky is gay or not. He wants to leave it up to the viewer. If you feel like Banky isn't gay, then there's evidence to support that, I.E. his sigh of relief when Alyssa turns Holden's offer down. But there's also evidence to support that he may be, too, like he's the first person to say yes.

Honestly, Kevin Smith isn't an idiot. He is most certainly capable of that level of subtlety. Maybe his later films have suffered from his not even trying (looking right at you, Cop Out. Smith cared so little he directed that one while high...), but at his best, he was amazing, hiding well thought out and even heart felt comedies in endless scatalogical humor.

Kevin Smith is clever in that he has even stated he will never tell if Banky is gay or not. He wants to leave it up to the viewer. If you feel like Banky isn't gay, then there's evidence to support that, I.E. his sigh of relief when Alyssa turns Holden's offer down. But there's also evidence to support that he may be, too, like he's the first person to say yes.
I don't think Smith is and idiot, I think he's abad director. He's a pretty good writer, just read some of the comics that he's written. But behind the camera he has all the subtlety of fixing glass with a hammer.

I think at some point while making the movie, even in the writing process he may have thought "Hey, Bankey could be gay!" But to be reading into the levels that Sexy Celeb does is giving the man a lot of credit.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Liked the the review SC! I enjoyed the movie for the most part. Smith writes tremendous dialogue, but I think he lost touch with the emotional element. I got the feeling that Banky was gay and that Alyssa wasn't ready for a hetero relationship, but it got a bit messy and contrived at the end for me. I did really like the monologue by Holden in the car--became a BA fan after that one, although I agree with you--the reaction was questionable... At the end of the day though, I think it's one of his more memorable, if not better flix.

Ok, but does Alyssa ever really tell Holden that she's never been with a guy before? I seriously don't remember that part!

I remember the gay joke with Bankey and Hooper on Jay and Silent Bob, I just figured it was Smith making a dick joke. I write most of his stuff off as crass and/or juvenile. I guess I don't have as much respect for him as some of you guys.

I'm not sure it's really mentioned. I was thinking about this again last night. I thought I had missed something. I was just looking over the script online and I don't see her actually confirming that she's never been with a guy, although she makes it sound like she's never had real penetration sex (when she's talking to Holden at the park.) Later in the movie, though, Holden does say she told him she had never been with a guy and Alyssa admits she had lied. So, there's that.
I do remember the park scene and thinking that she hadn't had penetration sex, also. But I never remembered her being so specific.

I think you're being a tad too harsh on her because you love Ben soooooooo much!

COBRA
(directed by George P. Cosmatos, 1986)

Sylvester Stallone and Brigitte Nielsen star in Cobra, a Pepsi commercial (sometimes a Coors commercial, but mostly a Pepsi commercial) where random women are hunted by gangs of psychotic men (and one big, bushy haired evil cop woman) that kill with fierce looking knives, axes, spiky knife things they hold onto and all sorts of other sharp, big handled weapons that they love to raise up in the air collectively, in triumph, in their warehouse/headquarters with fires burning -- I dunno, I guess it's their morning team meeting ritual or something. It looked very barbarian, very Mad Max in California. Stallone is a tough guy with a cool car (AWSOM 50 is the license plate) who works for the secret Zombie Squad on the police force -- basically, he's the guy who comes in to do the hard, dirty work that the cops can't do. He seems to be the only person on the Zombie Squad, except for his friend, Gonzales, who is basically there to cheer him up and eat junk food.

The movie has a great opening sequence in which a bad guy with a gun goes into a supermarket and starts shooting randomly. Soon, the cops are there and the bad guy is still inside, keeping hostages. Stallone - AKA Marion Cobretti, AKA 'Cobra', arrives and after we see a giant Pepsi display (and Coors display) Cobra handles the bad guy. But, alas, danger is never gone for good -- this was merely a very light appetizer for what's to come, for a gang of psychotic killers are killing women all through the city and unfortunately for Bridgitte Nielsen's character, Ingrid, she soon encounters them, but gets away. This happens after a 5 minute bizarre music video sequence in which Ingrid has a fashion shoot with robots -- a montage of Brigitte posing with robots, Cobra and Gonzales wandering around the city asking people for information related to the crimes, and the bad guys showing off their weapons to us in close up as they prepare for their attack on Ingrid.

Cobra is all style and miniscule substance. There's absolutely no plot except for bad guys killing women around town and then eventually chasing after Ingrid just because she happened to glance at one of the killers from her car one night (they come back for her after her robot photo shoot, the evil cop lady who works for the bad guys does a search on her license plate in the police station.) Cobra and Ingrid, as well as the evil cop lady and another cop, take Ingrid to a motel in a small mountain town so she can be safe, but of course the evil cop lady calls her psycho friends from a pay phone and sends them all on a motorcycle ride to the hotel.

There's some fun car chases and action scenes. The violence is heavy and dark -- it feels like a horror film especially since it's nothing but women getting stalked by men with knives. Cobra is based on a book by a woman named Paula Gosling. I never read it but I wonder if the book is nothing but an anxiety filled piece by a woman with a severe phobia of men and how violent they can be. There's certainly not much else in the movie. Sylvester Stallone wrote the screenplay but this is no Rocky at all. Oh, apparently the movie Fair Game (1995) with William Baldwin and Cindy Crawford is based on the same book Cobra is based on. Also, according to IMDB.com, 52 people die in Cobra. Interesting.

Anyway, I like Cobra, but it's a bad movie and it can be boring at times. Sylvester Stallone is incredibly lean and hot in this -- his ass looks fantastic in a pair of jeans. He struts around with sunglasses on and while you know it's Sylvester Stallone, there's actually something about him that's not Sylvester Stallone for once -- I fully believe he's this Cobra guy. This is pretty strong acting for Sylvester Stallone and maybe it's because of the very stylistic nature of the movie and the fact that not much goes on. It's all about the color red; aggressive, hard, masculine energies; pounding notes on the soundtrack (with occasional beboppy 80's tunes by some unknown woman); and a killer with a very deep voice with no real motive but he likes to call Cobra a "pig" a lot. Did I mention there's a very butch, unattractive, big, bushy haired lesbian-like evil cop lady that's his girlfriend? Yes? Did I mention the weird robots in the fashion shoot, yet? Yes. Oh, and I even included a picture. Okay. Good. Review over.

P.S. Cobra is now available on Blu-ray.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Don't think I've seen Cobra since it was out on video in the mid-80s and I (illegally, as it was an 18 cert) rented it for the class when we had a free period with one of those wishy-washy substitute teachers who would more or less allow us to do what we wish.

If I remember correctly, there was a tie-in video game as well.

Welcome to the human race...
I still have to watch Cobra all the way through, but from what I've seen it looks pretty hard to watch even by "so-bad-it's-good 80s action" standards. It felt like an attempt at an edgy 80s version of Dirty Harry. That and there's the problem I've had with Stallone films in general - it always seems like he takes his films especially seriously, and while I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it kind of jars with the expected vibe from a movie like Cobra. It's like a sad clown or something.

Also, consider this a reminder to check out Commando.

I still have to watch Cobra all the way through, but from what I've seen it looks pretty hard to watch even by "so-bad-it's-good 80s action" standards. It felt like an attempt at an edgy 80s version of Dirty Harry. That and there's the problem I've had with Stallone films in general - it always seems like he takes his films especially seriously, and while I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it kind of jars with the expected vibe from a movie like Cobra. It's like a sad clown or something.

I Love commando, great movie.... well not great, but its a great watch .

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
LOL, gotta watch this one again, been a while. I vaguely remember Stallone walking around with a toothpick sticking out of his mouth.

The People's Republic of Clogher

It wasn't too long afterwards when Sly started acting with a little wink and maybe not being quite so po-faced. Then again, Arnie was on his way to T2, True Lies and Governatordom so he was losing out big time in the battle of the 80s action heroes.

Eventually, along came Copland and Shade (I'll gloss over Stop or My Mom Will Shoot and ... ermm ... loads of other dross ) and I started to quite respect the fella but I don't know whether this career swerve was forced on him or not.

I'll never forgive him for Clint being too old (or smart) to play Judge Dredd, though.