Apocalyptic Fiction.

Tools    

No idea; it really depends. Kindle books actually aren't usually cheap. They're usually either a relatively normal price or in the public domain. Tons of free, older books (www.manybooks.net is a great resource, for example).

You want to post like me?
Well that seems silly. A big aspect of buying books for me is perfecting the collection and actually putting them on the shelf. I'll probably end up buying one anyways.

There are a lot of different places to go with the genre.

As Yoda says there's the "clean slate" idea. Damnation Alley is a good example that takes place a generation after nuclear bombs have destroyed almost every major city and has something of a survivalist/high adventure feel to it. I don't think I've read much else in that category so I'm hesitant to generalize about this subgenre, or whatever you would call it (early post-apocalypse?).

The M.D. and Gyo (which planet news mentioned) are primarily apocalyptic rather than post-apocalyptic, which may be why they work better as horror than a lot of post-apocalyptic fiction that I've read. The surreal terror of the familiar morphing into it's nightmare reflection or something. The Birds kind of fits in as well a little bit.

A Canticle for Liebowitz, Riddley Walker and Nausicaa all take place long after civilization as we know it has ended and they feel the most science-fictiony to me, in the common sense. Extrapolation from the familiar to the unfamiliar. In the case of the first two I think they're pretty nice allegories as well (though it's been a long time since I last read them).