Alien (1979) VS. The Thing (1982) SPOILERS

Tools    

One thing I keep hearing people say about Alien online, and including one of my friends, is that they don't like how you see Ripley in her underwear, and they thought it was exploitative to do that, like they just couldn't have the movie without that one little eye candy.

However, it seems that she had to change clothes to get into the astronaut gear, so doesn't her being in her undewear for a few seconds, naturally play into the story, since she had to change clothes?

Nothing to do with eye-candy.

It's the vulnerability of the situation.
She has for all intents and purposes, won the battle.

She's in the EEV and is getting ready to go into hyper-sleep. She stripped down to her underwear, getting ready to relax as best she can. Setting the computers and checking the life support systems... then wallop! The Alien is still alive.

She's caught totally off guard. She's got no weapons at hand, no strategy... and worst of all, she's almost naked.
She's got nothing. Literally.
And has to think fast.

Now the main thing is, ,the thing coexists in the same universe as alien, which is somewhat a revelation

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not even sure it's a revelation at all. So one movie about an alien takes place in the same universe as a completely different alien that's also set hundreds of years in the future. So what? I might as well say it takes place in the same universe as E.T. and Star Wars and Flash Gordon simply because there's nothing that explicitly proves they don't. Besides, the Thing's flying saucer looks nothing like the Engineers' horseshoe-shaped ships so that disproves the idea. Just because some random Redditor says they're connected doesn't make it some secret bit of genius (one of the theories in that link suggests that Jesus Christ was an Engineer, so if that's the level that these theories are operating on then I'm not inclined to consider them overly valid).

... one of the theories in that link suggests that Jesus Christ was an Engineer...

Jesus Christ wasn't an Engineer.

He was a Superstar and drove a Jaguar.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Nothing to do with eye-candy.

It's the vulnerability of the situation.
She has for all intents and purposes, won the battle.

She's in the EEV and is getting ready to go into hyper-sleep. She stripped down to her underwear, getting ready to relax as best she can. Setting the computers and checking the life support systems... then wallop! The Alien is still alive.

She's caught totally off guard. She's got no weapons at hand, no strategy... and worst of all, she's almost naked.
She's got nothing. Literally.
And has to think fast.
Yep that's true, I just don't know why people seem to pick on this, as a result.

One thing about Alien compared to The Thing, does anyone think that that Alien introduced a set up it didn't pay off, since we are introduced to acid blood, that can eat through multiple floors of the ship, but then this is never used again, so what was the point of introducing it?

I love both movies and I would rate them the same... They are both good mature sci-fi, both well done films.

Both are excellent in their own way, although I don't see them in the same universe. In the Alien world earthlings go out there into space and get in trouble with what they find. The Thing is somewhat derivative (the 1951 movie and Campbells "Who Goes There?" novella) but inhabits the Lovecraft universe where we are little earthbound pipsqueaks and scary creatures come here and then bad things happen to us. Lovecraft is kinda like the father of monsters, but in his universe, we don't get to go out and explore the galaxy.

Welcome to the human race...
Yep that's true, I just don't know why people seem to pick on this, as a result.

One thing about Alien compared to The Thing, does anyone think that that Alien introduced a set up it didn't pay off, since we are introduced to acid blood, that can eat through multiple floors of the ship, but then this is never used again, so what was the point of introducing it?
I think it's simply meant to underline just how dangerous and, well, alien the xenomorph is. Nobody expected the creature to have acid for blood, plus it adds to Ash's idea of the xenomorph being a "perfect specimen" - a creature so utterly hostile that even its very blood can kill and destroy. You can also argue that it limits the options for killing the xenomorph for fear of spilling its blood and compromising the ship.