What do you think of Fargo (1996)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I thought the movie was really good up until the climax. Basically I felt it ended in a deux ex machina.

SPOILER

Marge needs to find the car, and as she is driving back, she just happens to spot it, parked a few meters from the highway. What are the odds? I feel it kind of possibly brought down the whole story, unless maybe I am looking at it the wrong way?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The film is good, but the documentary about the real incident is even better.

1. Marge was already on the lookout for the car. 2. Every day cases are solved by lucky breaks. And it wasn't as if Marge hadn't done her police work prior to finding the car, so it wasn't like an undeserved break. 3. How she finds the car is probably the least important part of the whole film, except this is a Coen brothers film, and you can be sure there's a reason for everything in the film. 4. If you're hung up on how she finds the car, you are definitely not reading the film correctly. Pay particular attention to everything that happens after she has found the car up to when the end credits role. All of that is what is important.

Great film. My second favourite Coen brothers film after The Big Lebowski

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

This might just do nobody any good.
I'd say this probably ranks at n.5 or 6 or my Coen list but is still a wonderful movie. Jerry is the character that gets more interesting every time I rewatch it.

I think it's easy to see him as a sap who's just so unbelievably stupid and one might even feel sorry for him but I think he's just as s***** a person as Carl of Gaear.

A total **** devoid of any empathy. Macy plays that so wonderfully, though. Always with the thinnest layer of midwestern niceties.

I Enjoy Working With People
Love it. Marge is portrayed as actually looking for the suspect vehicle for a while before she spots it - so the scene is not at all unrealistic, in my opinion.

I think maybe if they showed a montage of her looking and looking and looking, since the suspects could have been in any of several places, but the movie portrays her as finding it so fast though, all by herself, without any help.

This might just do nobody any good.
I think maybe if they showed a montage of her looking and looking and looking, since the suspects could have been in any of several places, but the movie portrays her as finding it so fast though, all by herself, without any help.
Well, that's kind of the point. As it was said above, it's dumb luck. The whole movie deals in the mundanity of life and it clashes with the sudden outburst of violence.

In a way, her finding Grimsrud is similar to his and Carl's murder of a random driver when the cop stops them.

It's all to f***ing weird to have happen and that's why it seems so true.

Based on the truth.. and lies.
I didnt get the film was bland to me, but thats just me. Coen bros films barton fink is a great movie and oh brother were art tough

It's my #4 or #5 or #6 Coen film:

01.Inside Llewyn Davis
02.The Big Lebowski
03.A Serious Man
04=Barton Fink
04=Raising Arizona
04=Fargo

Great film. It's really funny (absolutely pitch perfect for a dark comedy IMO), Marge is one of if not the most likable character in any film and i really like what it shows about human nature, The show does it too but i personally don't think as well, the show The Americans i think does it alot better at times but yeah it is an important film for me as i wasn't really interested in that sort of thing until i saw the film

It's an excellent film...William H. Macy somehow manages to infuse Jerry with a likability he really doesn't deserve...I think Frances McDormand's performance is slightly overrated, but Steve Buscemi and Peter Stomare were fabulous. It might be the Cohen Brothers' masterpiece.

Awesome movie

I don't know if I would say it was robbed of Best Picture, as the English Patient was pretty good. I haven't seen all of the Coen Brothers' movies but I would say from what I've seen, that it's their best one besides The Big Lebowski and Blood Simple.