The Teen Apocalypse trilogy

Tools    

I'm just wondering what people think of any of the movies in Gregg Araki's self-proclaimed "teen apocalypse" series, those being "The Living End," "The Doom Generation," and "Nowhere."
I haven't seen The Living End, but I go back and forth on the other two. He definitely has a great ear for youth dialogue, and I appreciate his juxtaposition of the ridiculous-to-the-point-of-hilarious/satire with horrifyingly tragic, but I'm just not plain sure he's actually all that good. What is the purpose of these movies? What is his world-view? Do they have something to say? or am I just trying to read too closely into films which are essentially designed to be contemporary campy trash films set in front of a backdrop of obnoxious youth? Araki's latest movie was "Mysterious Skin," which got a lot of critial praise, and even though I didn't like the film, it's wonderful to see him maturing as a director, and maintaining his classic devices (such as the alien invasions).
Anyways, I asked someone recently what they thought of "Nowhere," and they replied "I love it, but I hate it." I definitely love so much about these movies, but sometimes I worry that I'm being tricked by some sort of hipster trend......I don't know, anyone have any thoughts?

Araki's latest movie was "Mysterious Skin," which got a lot of critial praise, and even though I didn't like the film
That's the only Araki film I've seen. Why didn't you like it?

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebirty
That's the only Araki film I've seen. Why didn't you like it?
I don't think it's a bad film by any means. It just doesn't really do much for me. Didn't really move me, and I really didn't find anything in it to be stimulating, or interesting. Well-made movie, though, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an absolutely wonderful job. As is the case with Araki's other movies, the writing is spot on when it comes to the isolation and angst of the youth, but I guess with Mysterious Skin, it just didn't really add up to anything that kept me interested. Even though I have my doubts about his filmography in general, I find his previous movies to be much more thought-worthy and talk-worthy.