Beelzebubble's Brief Babblings

Tools    

I saw Maestro (2023) so you don't have to.
I hated it. It was super boring. I almost walked out. It is quite the mishegoss.

I hated the way it was shot. The black and white was so stark. I imagine it was digital and not film. Black and white film is beautiful and forgiving. This contrast was too great like a Noir rather than a light romantic-comedy which would reflect the company Leonard Bernstein, the subject of this movie, kept in his early life, musical comedy greats like Comden and Green and Jerome Robbins and the meeting of his future wife. It made Carrie Mulligan look older than the age of her character with heavy wrinkles in her forehead. It was a relief when the film returned to color.

The script is dull.
The acting is fine. Carrie Mulligan is always a pleasure to watch. Bradley Cooper really embodies the character but often mumbles his lines. I don't know whether I missed anything or not.

The is principally about a marriage between a heterosexual woman to a homosexual/bisexual man who also has a all encompassing career as a musician. If you wanted to see a delightful movie that touches on these points, see De-lovely (2004) with Kevin Kline as the great songwriter Cole Porter.

The film tells the story of Bernstein in vignettes. If you want to see the story of a great musician and interpreter of classical music told in vignettes with his music as a large part of the score, check out Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould (1993).

I don't like Maestro 2022, but I just watched Maestro 2023. Well, actually, I really like this trailer. It's not just Mahler's music and Bernstein's conducting, it's also Cooper's shots. That shit better be sensational. I plan to watch the full movie

I don't like Maestro 2022, but I just watched Maestro 2023. Well, actually, I really like this trailer. It's not just Mahler's music and Bernstein's conducting, it's also Cooper's shots. That shit better be sensational. I plan to watch the full movie
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Hey Karin, have you seen the movie yet? I am curious what your take on it is.

I watched Maestro today and personally thought it was very good. Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan are both excellent in this well made, beautifully filmed biopic. I would rank it as the 10th best film of the year. I predict it will get nominated for multiple Oscars,including picture, actor and actress.

The film tells the story of Bernstein in vignettes. If you want to see the story of a great musician and interpreter of classical music told in vignettes with his music as a large part of the score, check out Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould (1993).
Aha, 2 more than Bach's Goldberg Variations... The film sounds interesting, being a dramatization, so I'll look for it. I've seen a few Gould documentaries. He's such a fascinating guy that it's hard to make a bad feature about him (although there's been a bad one or two about other personalities).

Gould is my all time favorite pianist. I attended a recital by him in Cincinnati in 1964. He was riveting. He was also a helluva good lecturer. If you haven't heard his performing the Prokofiev "War Sonatas", they're absolutely stunning.

I watched Maestro today and personally thought it was very good. Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan are both excellent in this well made, beautifully filmed biopic. I would rank it as the 10th best film of the year. I predict it will get nominated for multiple Oscars,including picture, actor and actress.
Yes, Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan were quite good. I have no problem with the acting. And Cooper's directing was fine. But the boredom... ugh.

If you want to see the story of a great musician and interpreter of classical music told in vignettes with his music as a large part of the score, check out Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould (1993).
Many thanks, BZB, for mentioning the Glenn Gould dramatic bio told in 32 short pieces, which I watched last night.

I was a little supercilious going in because the subject of the great Glenn Gould would be easy to mess up. But after the first 2-3 segments I was hooked. The screen play by director Francois Girard and Don McKellar was clever and fascinating. There was just the right balance between dramatizing some of Gould's well know exploits, and interviews between people who knew him well.

I was surprised that they didn't touch on his several year's affair with Cornelia Foss, wife of famed conductor Lukas Foss. That would have been an interesting inclusion.

The recordings of his playing, oftentimes used in the background are stunning, and draw the viewer right into Gould's insights. I particularly enjoyed the use of his recording of the 3rd movement of his Piano Sonata #7, the Precipitato, and extremely difficult piece technically.

It was a shame that he died young, at aged 50, of a stroke possibly brought on by his prescription drug usage. The world is not likely going to see another Glenn Gould.

10/10 from me.

What are your favourite films of the year?
I would have to think about that. I did see The Holdovers which was wonderful. Paul Giamatti was great.