The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

I think woke might just be the most meaningless word in film criticism right now since it says literally nothing about a film. Either that or hipster.

I think woke might just be the most meaningless word in film criticism right now since it says literally nothing about a film. Either that or hipster.
Agreed. Woke means different things to different people and is such an unhelpful word.

I agree that The Last Voyage of the Demeter could have used more tension, but I don't think the motivation to cast Corey Hawkins as the doctor was just to push a woke agenda. It does add tension by giving the less helpful members of the ship's crew another reason to not believe in him.
To the central plot of the story...the woman found on the ship, To say well they technically had black doctors back then so it's completely believable that a random one would end up exiled looking for a way home...that's it's own story. Diverse casting in period pieces is awful, it's anarchistic and now it's becoming a cliche. The idea that positive stereotypes are okay because they well who could possible be upset about that.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is essentially Alien at the turn of the century. Alien the same film has a diverse cast, however Ripley isn't the obvious lead in the beginning it comes over time. It's a character arc...that doesn't happen in this film. Any character could have died at any time in that film...because the point of the story is you are trapped with a monster who can kill anyone at any time. In Demeter that cast is widdled down based on how many lines they got in the first act. It's predictable and frankly cynical if we don't make Corey Hawkins some sort of exceptional unicorn then their is no way he can lead the film.

The reason why this film flopped and was nobodies favorite film of the year was because of casting agendas. The black guy in the film has to be the best human being in the cast. Film has to tell audience black guy is smartest, bravest, most competent person and you have to root for black lead. Hawkin's character didn't even have a personality it's why you don't remember the characters name, He's definable based on his race and position not who the character is as a person.

To the central plot of the story...the woman found on the ship, To say well they technically had black doctors back then so it's completely believable that a random one would end up exiled looking for a way home...that's it's own story. Diverse casting in period pieces is awful, it's anarchistic and now it's becoming a cliche. The idea that positive stereotypes are okay because they well who could possible be upset about that.

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is essentially Alien at the turn of the century. Alien the same film has a diverse cast, however Ripley isn't the obvious lead in the beginning it comes over time. It's a character arc...that doesn't happen in this film. Any character could have died at any time in that film...because the point of the story is you are trapped with a monster who can kill anyone at any time. In Demeter that cast is widdled down based on how many lines they got in the first act. It's predictable and frankly cynical if we don't make Corey Hawkins some sort of exceptional unicorn then their is no way he can lead the film.

The reason why this film flopped and was nobodies favorite film of the year was because of casting agendas. The black guy in the film has to be the best human being in the cast. Film has to tell audience black guy is smartest, bravest, most competent person and you have to root for black lead. Hawkin's character didn't even have a personality it's why you don't remember the characters name, He's definable based on his race and position not who the character is as a person.
That the movie had the gall to
WARNING: spoilers below
kill the captain's grandson made up for the lack of tension regarding Clemens for me. I'm a tad biased since a dad, but that's pretty freaking brutal, isn't it?
I found that surprise and the uncertainty as to whether or not the crew could believe a supernatural being like a vampire exist to be decent sources of tension. Also, I believe they developed Clemens out to be more than just a token black guy. I walked away from the movie thinking about him not just as that, but as a man who values truth, knowledge and justice. I'm lukewarm on the movie on the whole and definitely do not think it's on the same level as Alien, so I'll give you that.

My problems with the Last Voyage of the Demeter had nothing to do with race. The main character's race had very little bearing on the actual plot, and genuinely doesn't matter to me. What bothered me about the film would've been there regardless.

WARNING: "List of questions about the film" spoilers below
Once they learned that light was Dracula's weakness, why didn't they start sleeping on deck during the day, so they could all be awake and together in a large group all night?

Why did they make a big deal out of finding out "where the devil sleeps", and then... that's it? What was the point of that if they never use it to lure Dracula? Was it just so that the main character could track the crate later?

Why was Dracula able to feed on the woman for days, but members of the crew were only good for one night? Wouldn't it make more sense to capture one, hide him in one of the crates, and continue feeding on him the same way?

What exactly was the explanation for the effectiveness of blood transfusions to combat Dracula's power over the victim being essentially random/whatever best served the plot? The boy was somehow "weaker" after being fed on once, even though the woman had been fed on multiple times?

What exactly was the Captain's plan when he tied himself to the wheel? Was he just grief stricken and insane? He seemed to have some sort of reasoning, but I couldn't make any sense of it.

Why did they still try to sink the boat after Dracula broke a hole through the grate that was supposed to keep him locked below deck? He could just fly back out. Also, that close to shore, why couldn't Dracula just fly the rest of the way? It's shown that he can fly over open water just fine when he chased after the crew member who tried to escape.

Why didn't they turn the ship so it was sailing out into the open sea as part of their plan? Letting it continue towards England and possibly run aground would not create the underwater tomb they were talking about.

I also thought the film would have more of a psychological aspect at the start, when they were still trying to figure out what's going on. More distrust, blaming each other, etc. I guess more of a And Then There Were None, but on a ship.

What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations? Ideally ones that are available on streaming right now. I really want to see Kore-eda's Monster, but it won't be available online until late February.

What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations? Ideally ones that are available on streaming right now. I really want to see Kore-eda's Monster, but it won't be available online until late February.
Would these be in the 2022/2023 category and be eligible for the awards?

Love According to Dalva
Return to Seoul
The Blue Caftan

If so, I would recommend them!

Would these be in the 2022/2023 category and be eligible for the awards?

Love According to Dalva
Return to Seoul
The Blue Caftan

If so, I would recommend them!
Yes, they are all eligible. I'll add them to the first post as well!

Was already considering watching Return to Seoul, so I think I'll properly put it on my watchlist now.

Well I certainly have a film to put under "Biggest Disappointment" now. Loved Barbara and Phoenix, and liked Transit well enough, but Christian Petzold's new film Afire was just... really not my cup of tea.

Now I'm also a little worried about Monster, so I think maybe I should temper my expectations lol.

What I actually came here to ask was what's everyone's foreign film recommendations?
Monster is amazing. In additions to the ones mentioned, I enjoyed these ones this year:

Anatomy fo a Fall
Close
Safe Place
The Eight Mountains
Godland
Saint Omer
Riceboy Sleeps
Tori and Lokita
Joyland
No Bears
20,000 species of bees
RMN
Sick of Myself
Leila's Brothers
Pamfir
Return to Seoul
White Paradise
El Conde
Klondike
Afire
Unclenching the Fists
Pasages
Nostalgia
One Fine Morning
Prison 77
Burning Days

I've been focusing on watching noirs for the upcoming Countdown, but I think I'm going to go back and forth between noirs and 2023 films for the next little while so I don't get tried of the one genre.

Not sure where I want to start on my watchlist though. Feel like I should watch Killers of the Flower Moon, but that runtime really seems intimidating.

I remember when the paperback version of the book came out, and suddenly the title kept scanning for different areas of the store, like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be American History, True Crime, or General History, and it didn't always scan in the same location as the hardcover. That's the first thing I think about whenever anyone mentions the movie lol. Should definitely change that.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I still haven't seen some of the nominated for Golden Globe and Oscar, will try to do it till the deadline.
So far, my likes of 2023 which I recommend:

Anatomie d'une chute [Anatomy of a Fall]
Asteroid City
Coup de chance
Inside
Killers of the Flower Moon
Past Lives
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (short)

Can somebody tell me if I will be able to vote for the following films in next years MOFO awards? Becasue where I live they were released in 2024, not 2023:

All of Us Strangers
The Zone of Interest
Monster
All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
El Capitano

Can somebody tell me if I will be able to vote for the following films in next years MOFO awards? Becasue where I live they were released in 2024, not 2023:
If any of them are nominated and make it into the voting round this year, then they are ineligible next year. If they are nominated but do not make it into the next round, they can still be nominated next year since they are all arguably 2023/2024 films.

Zone of Interest was nominated for a number of Oscars though, so it'll probably make a showing here as well. I can see Monster making our awards too - or at least I hope it does.

If you really like any of the films you listed, I'd suggest nominating them now if you have room for them, just in case they get close to making it through but end up just short of votes. There's no guarantee that they won't be overlooked or have even more competition next year if they miss out now.

Would anyone be upset if I put the dog from Anatomy of a Fall on my ballot as Best Supporting Actor?

(this is mainly a joke, but like, I'm sure those of you who have seen the film know what scene made me think that)

I've only seen like 18 films from 2023, and one of them was a short film lol. I barely watched any movies in the last like... half of the year or more.
I've managed to double this number now while also watching noirs for the upcoming Countdown, but still feel like I've hardly seen any films from last year.

The other day I added Suzume to the list of 2022/2023 films in the first post. I haven't seen it yet, but it kept coming up when I was looking for what animated films I might want to watch. For the animation category, I've only seen Nimona and Mario so far, but I plan to watch the Boy and the Heron when it comes to streaming as well, assuming that's sometime soon.

There is one month left to get those nominations in!

Now that I'm almost done with my lists for the double noir Countdowns, it's back to 2023 films for me. Some of the films I wanted to watch haven't been released on streaming yet though. Hopefully they pop up sometime in the next few weeks.