Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

I can never just watch the first, always the second as well and sometimes the third but not always.

I've read Mario Puzo's awful novel three times coz i love the film that much
I have never read the book and don't plan on it. Not as well versed as you either as I have only watched it three times. Part II twice and part III once. I didn't hate part III either but if I have the time to spare and feel like that type of film I can't imagine not throwing on the original.

Tomorrow Is Forever
(1946)

Director: Irving Pichel
Writers: Gwen Bristow, Lenore Coffee (screen play)
Cast: Claudette Colbert, Orson Welles, George Brent, Natalie Wood
Genre: Drama, Romance
[b]
Welles looks really scary in these screenshots.

Can't think of anything specific, just didn't hold my attention...does there have to be an absolute specific exact reason a movie doesn't hold one's attention?
Of course not. Why are you always so hostile and so resistant to anyone asking you anything?

That was a perfectly reasonable and politely worded question, an "I don't remember" would have sufficed, jesus christ.

I have never read the book and don't plan on it. Not as well versed as you either as I have only watched it three times. Part II twice and part III once. I didn't hate part III either but if I have the time to spare and feel like that type of film I can't imagine not throwing on the original.
Just ignore the book. I was quite obsessed with The Godfather at one point and used to discuss it on an Organized Crime message board...haha. The book goes into alot more (contradictory) detail so it was necessary to read it if i wanted to participate in half of the discussions. All you're missing is detailed descriptions of Sonny's manhood (what it's often referred to in the book) and his sex technique. The scene during the wedding where Tom catches Sonny with a bridesmaid that lasts about 30 seconds is like a chapter and a half in the book

Your question sounded like it was demanding a very specific answer which I didn't have. But this is not virgin territory for us, is it Camo?
Huh? How should i have worded my question of what was your problem with the film? This is what i posted, what is demanding about it?:

What was so off-putting about the first 15 minutes of Wall-E?
I followed that up with posting my thoughts on the watchabllity of The Godfather then ended it with "it's not for everyone of course", coz i was made aware of why you didn't like it.

There's not a single thing that's demanding about that question, if anyone disagrees please post why. Should i have posted a detailed disclaimer before posting it rather than talking to you like an actual person? As i said an "i don't remember" or an "i just wasn't into it" would have been fine, i just thought there could have a reason you didn't like it which is why i inquired further.

Again, jesus christ.

Warren Beatty doesn't have a lot of misses as a filmmaker...will be adding this one to my watchlist.
I thought Rules Don't Apply looked like a type of movie you might be interested in. There's some big name stars in supporting roles too. I'm interested in reading your review....I really found the script meandering and dazed, sort of like Beatty. I'm not a fan of Warren Beatty, I've never liked him. Though he was good in Bugsy.

You spent a lot of this review talking about what other people thought of the film and of things that happened during production. There was only one little paragraph where you talked about what YOU actually thought of the movie.
To me the most interesting aspects of Piranha are the special effects of the fish...and the legacy of Roger Corman. It's a fun cheesy popcorn B movie, what else do we need to know

Act of Violence (1949)
Director: Fred Zinnemann
Writers: Robert L. Richards (screenplay), Collier Young (story)
Cast: Van Heflin, Robert Ryan, Janet Leigh, Mary Astor
Genre: Film-Noir

"An embittered, vengeful POW (Robert Ryan) stalks his former commanding officer (Van Heflin) who betrayed his men's planned escape attempt from a Nazi prison camp."

I dug this. It was a deep film, deep like a bottomless well...The kind of well that once you fall in you can never escape from the darkness...That's how Van Heflin felt in the movie. \

He plays a former Army CO who has conspired with the Nazis while being held in a POW camp. His crime is betrayal, and as such there is no escape for him. Enforcing the darkness of this bottomless pit is Robert Ryan...the only POW who survived the Nazi's tortures.

Tortures that were inflicted because his CO (Van Heflin) conspired with the enemy. Now Robert Ryan seeks vengeance. He's tracked down Van Heflin and aims to kill him, even if it means he'll destroy the happy life Van has made with his newlywed wife.

Mary Astor turns in one helluva performance as a hacked out prostitute, who sees the man on the run and picks him up for a trick.

Robert Ryan is formidable as a man who has been wronged and is out to kill a traitor and former friend.

Janet Leigh is very young here and yet still very skilled at delivering believable emotions as the confused and scared wife.

Sound good? It is! Hitch would have been proud to put his name on such a film. Not to say this is a Hitch wanna be, it's not....it's pure film noir with a thriller man hunt at it's core.

Waiting in the wings is the newlywed wife of Van Heflin played by a very young Janet Leigh. She doesn't know what her husband did in the WWII prisoner camp, and she can't understand the burden he carries....or why they must pick up and rush out of town at a moments notice.

Act of Violence is an exciting film. It's well done with stunning noir style cinematography The characters are multi dimensional and their motives seem real. That says a lot about the movie, as often characters in film noir are mere shadowy figures without much substance...here there's substance to spare.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Act of Violence 1949.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	33403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Act of Violence 1949 (3).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	33404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Act of Violence 1949 (5).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	33405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Act of Violence 1949 (6).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	33406  

Wow, Rules! I've never seen Act of Violence, but the description & your review is making me put it on the list (I love movies about guys trying to escape from Nazi prison camps!)

Van Heflin is an interesting figure - to me, he never looked happy - always shaken, worried, a little off. Or maybe that's just the impression I got from movies he was in. Didn't he play the sweating, unhappy, nervous guy who sets off the bomb on the plane in Airport (1970)?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
....It's on my short watch list, all three of the Godfathers actually. Hopefully in the next month or two. Though next up is another long overdue film, Wall-E.

I'm looking forward to your review of Wall-E.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Please don't tell me you are watching Wall-E over The Godfather. Imagine someone saying to you, "Yeah yeah Citizen Kane. First I need to catch up on my Looney Tunes". Come on Citizen, I am begging you over here.

I like Citizen Kane, but most of the time, I'd rather watch Looney Tunes than Citizen Kane.

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage (2016)
Director: Mario Van Peebles
Writers: Cam Cannon, Richard Rionda Del Castro
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Tom Sizemore, Thomas Jane
Genre: Action, Drama, History

Van Peebles seems an unusual choice as director for something like this. Nice to see Cage back on the big screen and I LOVE James Remar so I will be adding it to my watchlist.

Wow, Rules! I've never seen Act of Violence, but the description & your review is making me put it on the list (I love movies about guys trying to escape from Nazi prison camps!)
There's no actual scenes of Nazi prison breaks, that has all happened a few years in the past, off screen.

Van Heflin is an interesting figure - to me, he never looked happy - always shaken, worried, a little off. Or maybe that's just the impression I got from movies he was in. Didn't he play the sweating, unhappy, nervous guy who sets off the bomb on the plane in Airport (1970)?
Van Heflin is the man! I swear he's got one of the coolest names for an actor. Yeah I think you're right about Van being in Airport 1970...and he does seem nervy-sweaty all the time which makes him a perfect casting choice for Act of Violence.

Van Peebles seems an unusual choice as director for something like this. Nice to see Cage back on the big screen and I LOVE James Remar so I will be adding it to my watchlist.
When watching the movie, know that what you are seeing is factual, all the major happenings in the movie actually happened in real life. It's a very ironic and tragic story.

There's no actual scenes of Nazi prison breaks, that has all happened a few years in the past, off screen.

Van Heflin is the man! I swear he's got one of the coolest names for an actor. Yeah I think you're right about Van being in Airport 1970...and he does seem nervy-sweaty all the time which makes him a perfect casting choice for Act of Violence.

When watching the movie, know that what you are seeing is factual, all the major happenings in the movie actually happened in real life. It's a very ironic and tragic story.
Yes, Heflin played the bomber DO Guerrero in Airport...he received an Oscar nomination for his performance.

Van Heflin was in a lot of great films. I just looked and was surprised at how many there were. Some of his greats, that I've seen are:

Westerns
3:10 to Yuma 1957
Shane 1953

Film Noir
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers 1946 (with Barbara Stanwyck)
Possessed 1947 (with Joan Crawford)
Black Widow 1954 (with Ginger Rogers)

Musical

Presenting Lily Mars 1943
Till the Clouds Roll By

Dramas
Madame Bovary 1949 (with Jennifer Jones)
Green Dolphin Street 1947 (with Lana Turner)
East Side, West Side 1946 (with Barbara Stanwyck)

For some reason I thought Van Heflin was one of Hollywood's famous suicides - but I was wrong! (He died of a heart attack).

I discovered the reason for my confusion was not due to Airport (where Van Heflin blew himself up on the plane), but because he was in a version of The Three Musketeers (1948) with actor Gig Young - and it was Young who committed a murder/suicide.

Mystery Street (1950)

Director: John Sturges
Writers: Sydney Boehm & Richard Brooks (screenplay), Leonard Spigelgass (story)
Cast: Ricardo Montalban, Sally Forrest, Bruce Bennett, Else Lancaster, Jan Sterling
Genre: Film-Noir

"A small town policeman is assisted by a Harvard professor when the skeletal remains of a pregnant prostitute turn up on a Massachusetts beach."

Don't you hate it when pregnant prostitutes get killed...I sure do. But you know it's a film noir so someone has to get knocked off. And so Jan Sterling who's a B-girl, takes a powder...which is too bad as she was aces in the first 15 minutes of the film.

That's why I'm talking about her, because even with the little screen time she had, she made an impact. If you recognize the name Jan Sterling, and most likely you don't...then let me say that she was in Ace in the Hole, the noir she's most famous for.

But once she's dead and buried, there are more actors that get a chance to stand out...and one of them is the detective, Ricardo Montalban.

Mystery Street is ahead of it's time as it gave the lead role to a Hispanic actor...and most importantly Ricardo gets to play a regular person and not some caricature. He's really good too as the gentile and even courteous detective hot on the trial of the killer.

Mystery Street
is a different kind of noir as for the first time it introduces to audiences forensic procedural detective work. In a way this reminds me of the TV show Quincy. The forensic work is given a lot of time and the film gets into specifics of modern crime solving.

This didn't really even feel like a noir, there's no femme fatales, it's more of an investigative film with an innocent man who was last seen with the B-girl. The man is believed to be guilty...and only forensics can determine the real killers identity. This all worked very well and it made for an interesting, one of a kind film.

Else Lancaster has a plumb role as a likable but a tawdry landlady who withholds evidence that could clear an innocent man so that she can black mail the real killer. She's such a naughty landlady!

++

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	j.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	33425   Click image for larger version

Name:	f (2).jpg
Views:	441
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	33426   Click image for larger version

Name:	e.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	33427  

[center]

[size=5] Mystery Street [font=Georgia](1950)
Nice layout and tour of the film, Citizen! I'm keeping my eye on you, bro! Ha! Gonna need some help when I take the task of going back in time to when movies were fresher.

I spy Ned Glass in one of the photos from Mystery Street (guy in a lab coat).
Wasn't sure if it was him, but checked IMDB to confirm.
He was best known as Doc (the shopkeeper) in West Side Story and TV shows Julia and Bridget Loves Bernie.