My Favorite Movie Father and Sons

Tools    

Frank and Gil Buckman, Parenthood

Despite the fact that Frank (the late Jason Robards) used to take Gil (Steve Martin) to baseball games when he was a kid and paid ushers to watch him, Gil has spent most of his adult life trying to win this guy's approval and never really feeling it's ever going to happen.

Dodge and Garrett, Message in a Bottle

Garrett (Kevin Costner) is a lonely widower who has shut down since the death of his wife while his dad (the late Paul Newman) is gently nudging him into a relationship with a divorced journalist (Robin Wright Penn).

Steve Zissou and Ned Plimpton, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Steve (Bill Murray) is a famed oceanographer on a journey to find the shark he thinks ate his best friend who is joined on said journey by a son (Owen Wilson) he apparently never knew he had.

Walter and Chris Lloyd, Target

Walter (Gene Hackman) and Chris (Matt Dillon) have had a very strained relationship for years but find a way to work together when Walter's wife and Chris' mom (Gayle Hunnicutt) disappears.

Michael Cromwell and Mimi-Siku, Jungle 2 Jungle

Michael (Tim Allen) is a wealthy divorced businessman who learns that his ex-wife )JoBeth Williams) has been keeping a son (Sam Huntington) from him who has been raised in the jungle.

Sam and Ben Kleinman, The Thing About My Folks

Ben (Paul Reiser) suddenly finds himself caregiver to his dad, Sam (the late Peter Falk) who doesn't know what to do with himself after receiving a note from his wife (Olympia Dukakis) saying that she's left him.

Hal and Oliver, Beginners

Oliver (Ewan MacGregor) is rocked not only by the news that his father, Hal (Oscar winner Christopher Plummer) has a terminal illness, but at the age of the 75, has come out of the closet and is in a committed relationshihp with a much younger man (Goran Visnjic).

Guido and Giosue, Life is Beautiful

I never really got behind his Oscar win for Best Actor, but the relationship between a Jewish librarian (Roberto Begnini) and his young son (Giogorio Cantarini) is beautifully realized as the father tries to conceal the horrors of the holocaust from his son.

Tom and Gene Garrison, I Never Sang for My Father

Gene Garrison (Gene Hackman) is in denial about the fact that his strained relationship with his father (Melvyn Douglas) is getting in the way of him moving to California with his girlfriend.

Harry and Howard Keach, Harry and Son

In this forgotten gem from the Paul Newman library, Newman plays a demolition expert who has trouble connecting with his aimless, unemployed son (Robby Benson).

Rufus and Buck Hannasey, The Big Country

Rufus (Oscar winner Burl Ives) is a wealthy land owner in the old west whose unintentional neglect of eldest son Buck (Chuck Connors) has led to Buck using some very shady methods in gaining the keys to the kingdom.

Armand and Val Goldman, The Birdcage

In this Americanized version of the French classic La Cage Aux Folles, Armand is a gay nightclub owner who is thrown when his son, Val (Dan Futterman) comes home and announces that he's engaged but that his future in-laws are super conservative and will not be able to deal with Armand or his even ore flamboyant lover, Albert (Nathan Lane). I love the lengths that Armand attempts to go for the sake of his son's happiness.

King Mongkut & Prince Chululongkorn, The King & I

Mongkut (Oscar winner Yul Brynner) is the tyrannical 19th century ruler of the country to eventually be known as Turkey whose pride regarding his eldest son and heir to the throne (Patrick Adiarte) blinds him to the fact that the Prince is confused by some of his father's ways, terrified about becoming king, but loves his mother nconditionally.
I think you meant to say "Thailand".

Great list idea, though - certainly worthy of forgiving minor brain-fart lapses.

Marshall and Charlie, Vice Versa

For my money, the best of the 1980's "body switch" comedies...Marshall (Judge Reinhold) and his son, Charlie (Fred Savage) make combat with a Tibetan skull which transfers Marshall's brian to Charlie's body and Charlie's brain to Marshall's body.
Very much a fan of this movie's simple charm. Glad to know I'm not the only person who took notice.

Buck and Phil Weston, Kicking and Screaming

Phil (Will Ferrell) has relationship with dad, Buck (Robert Duvall) that suffers due to his dad's extremely competitive nature, evidenced in Buck benching his own grandson from the kids soccer team he coaches, which motivates Phil to take over coaching an opposing team.
Curious where The Great Santini will end up, since Duvall is effectively parodying that role in this movie.

Curious where The Great Santini will end up, since Duvall is effectively parodying that role in this movie.
Way too early for The Great Santini on this list...begging your patience.

I think you meant to say "Thailand".

Great list idea, though - certainly worthy of forgiving minor brain-fart lapses.
I did mean Thailand, I will change that right now, thank you.

Jim and Jim's Dad, American Pie

Jim (Jason Biggs) is agonizing over teen growing pains and his dad (Eugene Levy) wants to help but is clueless as to what he can do.

Adam and Cal Trask, East of Eden

Cal (James Dean) is the black sheep son of Adam (Raymond Massey) who is in constant competition with his brother Aron (Richard Davalos) for his dad's love and respect.