Doctor Who

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
yep, Matt Smith is done with Dr Who, who do you guys think are worthy replacements? It's weird ow Smith is leaving, considering he truly came into his own in this series which from a plot point of view wasn't the strongest. Here are some of my suggestions:

I know Ben Whishaw is a big Who fan favourite but I just don't get it, we already got the young, hipster Dr Who with Smith, we really don't need another. I'd like to see a diferent doctor here, slightly older, mid-to-late 30s would be perfect. Someone more grizzled and world weary.

Gary Oldman has that exquisite charm and versatility, which is why Hollywood loves him so much. Personally I think he makes the perfect older doctor, obviously older than my criteria of mid-to-late 30s but who can argue with The Oldman? Still don't see it happening though!

Kenneth Branagh a guy who brings all the necessary gravitas to such a role. Again very unlikely but a guy can dream.

Other names:

Russel Tovey has done a lot of good work on TV, Being Human being a particular highlight. He may look very young but I think he's actually over 30. He brings the right kind of vulnerability yet decisive to the role. Not the perfect guy for it but just a bit of a wildcard cos I'm a fan.

Ben Barnes A definite rising star who looks so youthful but again is in his mid 30s, has the looks and the correct attitude. Dorian Grey was just a rubbish movie imo but he played the role beautifully.

Jamie Dornan the perfect age and a terrific actor to boost. Very different from Matt Smith and definitely has the ability to bring a new take on the Doctor. Freshen up the formula!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I agree that Whishaw is a little too similar to Smith. He is a really good actor, though.

John Hurt would be good. Or Terence Stamp.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
KNEEL BEFORE THE DOCTOR!

Oh yes.

Idris Elba had been talked about before, which I think would be an excellent choice.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Not to veer the topic away from who will be the next Doctor (I think Emma Watson would be a good choice if they go with a female doctor), but I finally got to the end of season 2 last night.....I cried like a big baby, I haven't cried that hard in a while! Rose was....Rose! I really miss Rose, I have watched a few episodes of season 3 today and Martha is alright, but she is no Rose. Before everyone starts, I know that there are a ton of companions so I shouldn't be complaining too much but....Rose!

Emma Watson, as good an actress as she is now, would be rubbish casting especially at 23 years old which is too young for the role. A few women have been named already who I wouldn't mind at all though.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Not to veer the topic away from who will be the next Doctor (I think Emma Watson would be a good choice if they go with a female doctor), but I finally got to the end of season 2 last night.....I cried like a big baby, I haven't cried that hard in a while! Rose was....Rose! I really miss Rose, I have watched a few episodes of season 3 today and Martha is alright, but she is no Rose. Before everyone starts, I know that there are a ton of companions so I shouldn't be complaining too much but....Rose!
In that very episode David Tennant delivers the best and most heartbreaking screaming of the word 'NO!' ever.

Rose Tyler is one of the greats, you do not suffer alone teeter_g!

^ Martha, one of the most boring companions ever. Thankfully you have the wonderful Donna(Catherine Tate) full time after Martha.

A lot at first thought it was awful casting Catherine Tate as a companion but she proved them all wrong, the majority of Doctor Who fans adored her. The minority hated her.

^ Martha, one of the most boring companions ever. Thankfully you have the wonderful Donna(Catherine Tate) full time after Martha.

A lot at first thought it was awful casting Catherine Tate as a companion but she proved them all wrong, the majority of Doctor Who fans adored her. The minority hated her.
I hated her

And just remembered who Martha is....yep she wasn't so good either but I think that was more down to shoddy writing than anything else.

I'm really intrigued by John Hurt and his version of the Doctor...or a guy who isn't known as the Doctor but occupies the same, erm, timeline, body, soul? ? ?

'Doctor Who': John Hurt character identity confirmed?

The identity of John Hurt's character in Doctor Who may have been revealed.

Alien star Hurt appeared in the BBC sci-fi drama's May finale - credited as 'The Doctor' - and will return in the forthcoming 50th anniversary special.

The Telegraph now quotes Who costume designer Howard Burden as saying that Hurt is portraying a previously unseen "dark Doctor".

"There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn't see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap," Burden's quotes read. "He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor."

The notion of Hurt playing an 'in-between' Doctor was already a popular theory amongst Doctor Who fans. The idea first surfaced when the 73-year-old actor was seen on the set of the 50th special sporting a leather jacket similar to the one worn by Eccleston's Ninth Doctor.

The anniversary instalment - also starring Matt Smith and David Tennant - will air on BBC One on Saturday, November 23.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...confirmed.html

There was a very well made fake/fan made trailer for the 50th that popped up on the internet:

In 3D but think there is a 2D one going around also.