Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Rewatch...As much as I loved The Shape of Water, I'm not sure that it didn't steal the 2017 Best Picture Oscar from this emotionally raw and powerful drama that haunts the viewer from opening to closing credits. A mother who has heard nothing for seven months about the investigation into her daughter's rape and murder rents out three billboard units to call out the police on their lack of results regarding the case, an act that causes all kinds of collateral damage to innocent people in her small town. We understand this woman's anger but we learn that erecting these billboards wasn't necessarily the right thing to do. There's one memorable scene after another here. Love the scene in the dentist's office and the tracking shot as Deputy Dixon throws young Red out a window. And even though I can't figure out when he had time to write them, I love the audio of Chief Willoughby's suicide notes to his wife, Dixon, and Mildred. This is Frances McDormand's most deserving of her three Oscar wins for her bone-chilling Mildred Hayes and Sam Rockwell's tragic and complex performance as Dixon is just as worthy of the supporting actor Oscar he won. Love when he gets fired and can't find his badge. On my list of favorite Woody Harrelson performances, his Chief Willoughby clocked in at #6. Also loved Zeljko Ivanek, Peter Dinklage, Caleb Jones, and Lucas Hedges as Mildred's son, who is perhaps the greatest target of Mildred's collateral damage. This is also director Martin McDonaugh's masterpiece. Appointment movie viewing.

Four Sherlock Holmes films all featuring Basil Rathbone as the titular detective and all directed by Roy William Neill. These were packaged together on Prime but Rathbone did play Holmes in 10 other movies.

Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon (1942) - In this one Holmes spirits a scientist out of Switzerland one step ahead of the Gestapo. Dr. Franz Tobel has invented a new bombsight that could change the course of the war and there are numerous parties interested in acquiring it. This includes Holmes' Machiavellian nemesis Professor James Moriarty.

80/100

The Woman in Green (1945) - Several murders occur in London with the victims all young women with their index finger missing. Holmes is called in by Scotland Yard and is at first baffled. But when widower Sir George Fenwick is manipulated into thinking he commited one of the murders Holmes once again suspects Moriarity's involvement.

80/100

Terror by Night (1946) - Lady Margaret Carstairs is the owner of the Star of Rhodesia diamond and is transporting it by train to Scotland. Holmes and Watson are hired by her son Roland to guard both her and the priceless diamond. Also on the train is Inspector Lestrade of Scotland Yard and Watson's friend Major Duncan-Bleek. After Roland is murdered and the diamond stolen Holmes comes to believe that notorious jewel thief Colonel Sebastian Moran is onboard the train.

80/100

Dressed to Kill (1946) - This is the last of the fourteen films featuring Rathbone as Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Dr. Watson. John Davidson is serving time in Dartmoor prison. He was responsible for the theft of Bank of England currency printing plates which he stashed in an undisclosed location. Davidson has figured out an ingenious way of smuggling out the location in the form of three wooden music boxes. They are auctioned off to three different people and his murderous confederates waste no time in moving to acquire them. Like Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, this storyline also involves Holmes innate talent for puzzle solving.

80/100

These, like most of the Universal Pictures Holmes and Watson entries, are lean and concise exercises in detective work. I've seen numerous actors take on the role (Peter Cushing, Nicol Williamson, Nicholas Rowe, Robert Downey Jr., Ian McKellen and Benedict Cumberbatch) but it's Rathbone I immediately picture when anyone mentions Sherlock Holmes.
>>>>Yeah, I like these. I have a DVD set with most of them. That Watson-Holmes characters play off of each other quite well. I'd have a hard time imagining either character played by anybody other than Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone both of whom seem completely comfortable in the roles. Rathbone IS Holmes as far as I'm concerned.

1st Rewatch...This alleged biopic of 1920's torch singer Ruth Etting is, like so many other 1950's biopics, is not big on the facts of Etting's life and career, but it is grand entertainment, thanks to what was, for my money, the finest performance of Doris Day's career as the tortured Etting and the flashy, Oscar-nominated performance by James Cagney as Marty "The Gimp" Snyder, that leaps off the screen. Day is spectacular in a role unlike anything she had done up to this point, as Etting uses Snyder to further her career, until it is implied that he rapes her and she then becomes his possession. There was an actual rape scene filmed that ended up on the cutting room floor. Day was outraged by it and claims that if it had remained in the film, she would have received the Oscar nomination she deserved. If the truth be told, that scene where she stands on that nightclub stage in a tight black dress belting out "Ten Cents a Dance" is worth the price of admission all by itself, but there's so much more to love here, especially the charisma of Cagney.

1st Rewatch...Fans of the 1983 Best Picture Oscar winner of 1983, Terms of Endearment will have a head start with this slightly syrupy but very funny and often moving comedy-drama from the director and writer of Ghost. Michael Keaton's rich performance anchors the story of a public relations executive who finds out almost simultaneously that he is going to become a father and that he has contracted cancer. The edgy screenplay finds this guy really struggling when he initially tries to deal with this alone, but finds it a lot easier when he lets his wife (Nicole Kidman) in on the process. The strongest part of the story are the videotaped messages and lessons he makes for his unborn child, which alone make the film worth watching. The troubled reunion with his family crackles with tension and the final third of the film will definitely recall the second half of Terms of Endearment when Emma finds out she's dying. The flashbacks to the man's childhood weren't really necessary, but this one could still ignite the tear ducts if caught in the right mood and Keaton is spectacular.

I forgot the opening line.

On my list of favorite Woody Harrelson performances, his Chief Willoughby clocked in at #6.
I gave this one the top spot as far as Woody is concerned, but maybe you've seen more Woody Harrelson performances than I have.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/bobs_b...ovie_ver4.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68695681

Bob's Burgers Movie - (2022)

I haven't seen a whole lot of Bob's Burgers - and what I have has always happened by accident. It's the kind of show that I don't go out of my way to watch, but if it happens to be on after I've seen something else, I stick around for the charm - because it really does have that in spades. It doesn't feel the need to push the envelope as far as taboos and taste is concerned (ala the likes of South Park and Rick and Morty) but it doesn't shy away from a good joke no matter where it must go. Bob's Burgers Movie does all of that, just for longer - and with a story with more weight and mystery. I do feel like I'm an intruder though, considering there are 14 seasons and 264 episodes out there, and I've seen around 4 or 5. I guess that gives me the opportunity to say that you don't need to have watched the series to get some enjoyment out of this movie - there's nothing in this which depends on you knowing anything, although there might be a few callbacks that went over my head. If there was, it wasn't in a way that'll make you scratch your head - you won't know you missed them. A few fun songs, pretty good comedy and cuteness and charm with both a kid's and adult perspective. If animated comedy is your thing, it's worth a try.

7/10

By https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1022955.../rm3578177025/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=65148782

The Dark and the Wicked - (2020)

Here's a rewatch of a movie that was a mixed bag for me - but when I saw it the first time the good was very good. Having seen it a second time I'm kind of conflicted - I can't give The Dark and the Wicked my wholehearted approval. A lot of what Bryan Bertino is doing here tone-wise and as far as atmosphere is concerned is spot-on, and the spooky stuff works more often then it doesn't. There's plenty to get creeped out about, and it does have a story which touches on meaningful themes - the place we have in our parent's lives when they get towards the very last stages of their life, and the guilt over not being able to keep death from creeping up on them. I just don't think there's enough of a story to hang his good work on, and therefore it always seems like we're watching a very generic movie. So, if you often think that narrative is too often getting in the way of scares and horror in your scary movies, and that you wished there'd be hardly any at all - just all atmosphere and dread - then this might be for you.

6/10

Sabrina - 1954

On an Audrey kick after I watched Breakfast At Tiffany's. Thought this movie was cute and entertaining. Audrey and Humphrey are the definition of movie star charming. You can start to see the skeleton of the modern day rom-com in this flick, probably influenced many movies to come. The age difference between Humphrey and Audrey is hard to ignore. Their charm worked but hard to see them going for each other. Holden felt right in his role but even he felt a little older. In the end I am glad there is a movie with Audrey and Humphrey because their movie star charm oozes. Thought it was cute and made me laugh a few times but ultimately I probably wouldn't revisit.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

As "big bug" movies go, this one is quite good. It's Them!, a 1954 movie set in the usual dusty southwestern town generally found in these sort of movies. All of a sudden, there are ants, big ones, like 50 feet long. They are preying on humans and wrecking buildings. James Whitmore, somewhat of a class actor, stars as a cop. The local PD gets there first, then "The Government" in the form of James Arness, pre-Gunsmoke. A pilot is played by Fess Parker, pre-Davy Crockett. We gotta get those ants before they get us. It even has Edmund Gwenn, being a scientist rather than Kris Kringle. The best performance is reserved for Sandy Descher, a young girl who portrays stark terror very convincingly.

Everybody in the movie plays it straight. The ant FX are not that great (big animatronics), but acting, plot and suspense is much better than usual in these sort of movies.

Goodfellas ('90, Scorsese)

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster...

WARNING: spoilers below
What is it about the gangster that fascinates us so much? Whether they be fictional or real, there's just something about gangsters, and the unencumbered power fantasies they embody that hold an undying fascination for us, despite (or maybe a bit because of?) the moral failings inherent to their lifestyles. It's something that filmmakers have tried to capture time and time again in movies through the years, but for my money, no other film did it better than Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas, as the cinematic icon took a lifelong fascination with these denizens of the underworld, and filtered it through the perspective of a man who not only shared that fascination, but actually made it a reality for himself, resulting in what is, despite his tremendous body of work, ultimately Marty's very finest hour as a director, and a complete and total cinematic jolt to the system, just as fresh and invigorating today as it was in thirty-plus years ago.

It tells the true story of Henry Hill, a working class kid from Manhattan who grows up idolizing the Lucchese mobsters who run the cabstand across the street, with Henry joining and working his way up their ranks from an early age, starting with petty tasks like parking cars, before "graduating" to real crimes such as torching rival businesses, before finally becoming a full-fledged gangster once he's come of age. From there, it's a whirlwind of white powders, fast living, and easy murder for Hill, one that ultimately threatens to consume him entirely, with the young wiseguy not knowing if the end will come with him rotting in a jail cell courtesy of the law, or meeting an early death in a shallow grave out in the middle of nowhere due to his gangster "friends", whether it be to keep him from ratting them out, or just him saying the right wrong word needed to fire their hair trigger tempers.

It's a lot to take in, but fellas never, ever bogs down or feels bloated, despite it's over two hour running time, as Scorsese takes the source material of Nicholas Pileggi's true crime book Wiseguy, and absolutely RUNS with it, right from the jarring, in media res murder scene that opens the film, and never so much as takes a glance back from there. Well, it actually does glance back as it goes to Henry's childhood, but it doesn't hit the brakes at all in doing so, as the film lays out the first quarter century of Hill's (criminal) life in quick vigenettes that are all the more impactful for their brevity, before it takes a bit more time to develop the more eventful incidents, such as the infamous Billy Bats beatdown, before finally documenting Hill's ultimate downfall from a wiseguy to a common "schnook", hiding out in Witness Protection, and having to settle for egg noodles and ketchup for a meal.

On the whole, it has the pacing of cokehead at the height of a week-long bender (which is very appropriate, considering the main figure here), aided greatly by Thelma Schoonmaker's frantic rapid-fire editing, which is so prominent, she should really get billing alongside Liotta, De Niro, and Pesci as one of the film's stars. However, that's not the only weapon in Goodfellas' sizeable arsenal of cinematic techniques, as Marty and company add a veritable jukebox worth of period hits for its soundtrack, and the absolutely kinectic cinematography makes copious use of close-ups, jittery zoom-ins, sudden freeze frames, elaborate tracking shots (the Copacabana, anyone?), as Scorsese's signature dramatic slow motion serving to further hammer home the moments that defined Hill even harder to us as an audience.

Finally, Goodfellas excels by bringing us as deep as possible within Henry's life, with the voiceover narration from both his and his wife Karen's individual perspectives laying out the seductive allure of it, as well the inner workings and rules that govern that particular (under)world, to the point that you almost feel like a gangster yourself just by watching them live their daily lives. In this way, we get as cozy as possible with the wiseguys, amidst all their profane banter, macho posturing, and violent outbursts, to the point that we're almost as disappointed as Hill is when he comes to his ultimate fate in surburban hell, looking back on his lifetime of crimetime with a wistful smile on his face, the same kind that's hopefully on your face as well, at the sight of such a great movie coming to an end; like Sid Vicious "sang", he did it his way...

Final Score: 10

'Hotel Coolgardie' (2016)

Chilling documentary that the recent 2023 film 'The Royal Hotel' is based on. Two Finnish girls looking for work are sent to a small Australian outback mining town for bar work. The locals and their attitude towards the young women (who they regard as Fresh Meat') is pretty shocking. As is the postscript text.

I'd recommend watching the feature film first, then this.

Reptile (2023)

Benicio del Toro is what made me watch this, despite most reviews seeming to be lukewarm. My feelings are similar, almost reminding me of 'The Little Things' a bit. There were more moving pieces for me to try and track to predict what would happen, and it comes together nicely despite a rather abrupt ending.

The Equalizer 3 - (2023)

Better than part 2, but the first movie is stil untouched.

Black Robe (1991)

Impressive film about a French Jesuit missionary sent to New France in the 17th century to set up a mission. The story is strong and the violence uncompromising. Some of the acting is a bit wobbly but it's still a great tale with it's own story to relate.

Three good movies. I thought I would hate Passages, but I may even watch it again.

Sabrina - 1954

On an Audrey kick after I watched Breakfast At Tiffany's. Thought this movie was cute and entertaining. Audrey and Humphrey are the definition of movie star charming. You can start to see the skeleton of the modern day rom-com in this flick, probably influenced many movies to come. The age difference between Humphrey and Audrey is hard to ignore. Their charm worked but hard to see them going for each other. Holden felt right in his role but even he felt a little older. In the end I am glad there is a movie with Audrey and Humphrey because their movie star charm oozes. Thought it was cute and made me laugh a few times but ultimately I probably wouldn't revisit.

I love this movie and even though I rated it higher than you did, I have to disagree with you regarding Hepburn and Bogart...they had no chemistry and Bogart was just a little too old to be a leading man for Hepburn. I read somewhere that Bogart was drinking heavily when he was making this film and that might have affected his performance, which is the only thing in this movie that just doesn't work for me.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Man this was ridiculously far fetched thrilling and entertaining, I don't remember enjoying it so much last time round, proper good action!

Talk To Me

Nice nice Aussie horror, vibe kinda reminded me of "It Follows" in that young characters really believable. Trippy and entertaining with a good ending, doesn't all totally make sense but doesn't bother me, good stuff