The MoFo Map

Tools    

Exactly. But not only that, Sane, is English speaking, from Australia, but it is a country which is very far from US and Europe, hence less influenced by their cultural sphere and more easily influenced by Asia, which is relatively closer. He/she also watches more Asian movies in general.

I also think that Brazil's distance from Europe and the US made the country relatively more open to Asian pop culture. Fact is that when I was growing up Brazilian kids TV was 2/3 Japanese TV series (animated and live action) and significant amounts of Jap movies (like all Godzilla movies dubbed in Portuguese ). I think that partly explains my fascination with Japanese pop culture.

Exactly. But not only that, Sane, is English speaking, from Australia, but it is a country which is very far from US and Europe, hence less influenced by their cultural sphere and more easily influenced by Asia, which is relatively closer. He/she also watches more Asian movies in general.

I also think that Brazil's distance from Europe and the US made the country relatively more open to Asian pop culture. Fact is that when I was growing up Brazilian kids TV was 2/3 Japanese TV series (animated and live action) and significant amounts of Jap movies (like all Godzilla movies dubbed in Portuguese ). I think that partly explains my fascination with Japanese pop culture.
You do realize we had Japanese cartoons in the US during the 1960's...

I grew up watching "Speed Racer" or as the original title is.. "Macha GoGo".

Correction, 14 Europeans, because you know, the UK is in Europe.

2 South Americans now.

Impressive how many British there are here. I think that given the poor climate of England people there spend more time at the computer than in the US, considering US's population and number of internet users is 5 times larger.
I was sure that Sane's schooling of you regarding Asia, had taught you not to judge somewhere you haven't visited or have the slightest clue about. Apparently you never learn.

Also City of God = Brazil

What? I watch far more foreign films with subs than I do english speaking films.. and I watch films from all over the world... not just certain locations..
For every sociological model there is the exception. My point was that the proportion of people from continental Europe who watches, let's say, more than 30% of their movies/TV non-English European films, is higher than in the US or UK. Of course, the US is a huge country with a huge middle class and there are people in the US who are fans of virtually anything, a Argentinian friend when to live in a small town in Wisconsin for a year and he found a hardcore Boca Juniors fan there!

I was sure that Sane's schooling of you regarding Asia,
When?

had taught you not to judge somewhere you haven't visited or have the slightest clue about. Apparently you never learn.
While I have never been to England, my English friends commented a bit about the climate there.

Also City of God = Brazil
City of God is a very good portrait of the culture of the most populous region of Brazil in fact.

You are a dear friend Camo. Always so friendly and not judgmental.

Number of Internet users, from http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/

US --------- 279,834,232
UK --------- 57,075,826
Canada --- 33,000,381

A difference of nearly 5 times. Notice that the proportion of the UK population who has access to the internet is slightly higher than in the US, same applies to Canada.

Canada has the highest proportion of the pop in the internet (93%) because they have the worst climate, it's super cold, "thunder" cold. Canadians are also overepresented here compared to Americans (4 to 18, ratio of 4.5, while ratio of users is over 8).

On Climate:

Average precipitation:

UK --- 854.8 mm
US --- 742.44 mm

UK has more precipitation than in the US. It's true that thanks to the Atlantic currents the winter in the UK is much milder than in the US (specially in the north of the midwest), but overall the UK is not very warm. My friend from Northern England said that it's always around 0 celsius to 10 celsius, which might not be ideal for outdoor activities.

I believe climatic reasons help to explain why the industrial revolution happened in the UK. Since it's the ideal climate for indoor work. Only with the invention of the air conditioner the industrial revolution spread through tropical climates.

Correction, 14 Europeans, because you know, the UK is in Europe.

2 South Americans now.

Impressive how many British there are here. I think that given the poor climate of England people there spend more time at the computer than in the US, considering US's population and number of internet users is 5 times larger.

Don't even joke about the European thing. We aren't Europe.
The US is closer to Russia than we are to Europe, so saying we are Europe is like saying Americans are all Communistic Ruskies.

We use the Pound and hardly any British people speak another language.
I'd hazard a guess that 80%-90% of white British are English speaking only.
I learned French at school, but unlearned it within a week of leaving school... most white British are the same.

As for climate.
Yeah we have a dreary climate 75% of the time, but living here for 1500 years or so our people are used to it.
Sure if you were born and bred in the Australian outback and moved here to the UK in your 40s, you probably would stay indoors most of the time.

I lived in the north of Scotland for years. Up there it approaches the kind of weather seen at the poles and we still had to walk to catch a bus to school.
Worst winter I remember was in December 1994, the snow reached 12 feet. Still had to go to school though. By bus.

Makes me laugh here in England (even though I'm English) how soft some people are though. Ground frost is enough to halt all public transport and shut down schools and shops.

Addition: I spoke Gaelic as a kid though.

Living in the north, all the kids' TV was in Gaelic so I had to learn. But, like French, I forgot it very quickly once I'd moved back to England.

Don't even joke about the European thing. We aren't Europe.
The US is closer to Russia than we are to Europe, so saying we are Europe is like saying Americans are all Communistic Ruskies.

We use the Pound and hardly any British people speak another language.
I'd hazard a guess that 80%-90% of white British are English speaking only.
I learned French at school, but unlearned it within a week of leaving school... most white British are the same.
No, the UK is a part of Europe. That's basic geography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

How did you not know that?

As for climate. Yeah we have a dreary climate 75% of the time, but living here for 1500 years or so our people are used to it. Sure if you were born and bred in the Australian outback and moved here to the UK in your 40s, you probably would stay indoors most of the time.

I lived in the north of Scotland for years. Up there it approaches the kind of weather seen at the poles and we still had to walk to catch a bus to school.
Worst winter I remember was in December 1994, the snow reached 12 feet. Still had to go to school though. By bus.

Makes me laugh here in England (even though I'm English) how soft some people are though. Ground frost is enough to halt all public transport and shut down schools and shops.
The winter in the UK is not that bad compared to Canada or parts of the northern US though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Strait of Dover is 33 km.

Bering Strait is 82 km.

Nope.

Just nope.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The US owns a few small islands, as does Russia... the closest point is 2 miles. The US has soil that is 2 miles from Russian soil.

Okay, let's get something straight here. There are 7 continents. North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Antarctica.

So if the UK isn't part of Europe, then which continent is it part of? I'm sure some people would love to think the UK is it's own continent, but sadly it is not.

Alright, I think I found a clue...

From merriam-webster.com, the definition of continent includes, "one of the great divisions of land (such as North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, or Antarctica) of the Earth

the Continent : the countries of Europe except for Great Britain and Ireland"

Hmm... I was under the impression that every country had to be attached to a continent. But this seems to imply that islands simply are not part of any continent...

You guys are talking in technical terms. Under the Channel the landmasses are connected.

But 99% of the British hate the fact we are often called Europe. Politically, we hate them. We even have several Parties that are calling for the UK to leave the EU.

Over the centuries we've knocked the spit out them in countless wars.
The Scots were the only people who successfully held off the Romans. Held them off so well and scared the Romans so bad in fact, that Hadrian's Wall was built by the Romans to keep the Scots out

I have yet to meet a Brit who says we are "part of Europe".
This is f*cking Britain, and I don't often swear on MoFo, but Europe can f*ck right off.